Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I took my 2014 Limited back to the dealer and had them adjust the headlight and the spotlights up a little bit for me. I couldn't see 30 feet in front of me the first time I rode it at night. This still did not do what I thought it needed, so I took matters into my own hands.

I went back and slightly lowered the headlight because they turned it way too high. High beam could be used for coon hunting. I then went to Lowes and bought a 9/16" "universal" socket (the one with the funky insides and can be turned with a wrench) and cut a notch in it for the wire so I could loosen my spotlights. I raised them just slightly below where my low beam was hitting and aimed slightly outwards. Made a huge difference. The spots were originally aimed so low I was being blinded with super white light shining on the road directly in front of me. I also had the dealer program the spots to burn on high beam.

I'm still not liking the narrow high beam but I'm going to go back and try bringing the headlight down just a little bit more. I was super excited about the new headlight when I bought the bike....... until my first night ride. I can't believe that this is the best thing Harley could come up with. The rest of the bike is awesome. I just hate the headlight.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:38 AM
BILLL1121
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 2014 limited and took off the trim ring and adjust the headlamp on a light board at an inspection station. The light was low about 1.5 inches. Then had Harley reprogram so spots are on all the time. Very good at night now.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Devo6684
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthsj
Take your bike to the dealer and ask them to reprogram your auxiliary lights so that they stay on with the headlight on LOW or HIGH beam. This will eliminate the unlit area in front of your bike when you have it on HIGH beam *and* light the sides of the road. My stealership charged me 1/2 hour of labor to do this, but I was the first to ask about it, so they needed to figure it out. It did take them about 30 minutes.

The 2014 bikes have to be reprogrammed, you can no longer splice wires like the 2013 and down to do this (which I've done on 3 bikes). Bad or good? You can decide. The 2014 bikes have much more integrated electronics/electrical. I happen to think that is good.
My dealer this before I took delivery and after we finalized the deal. No charge.

"BILLL1121 I have a 2014 limited and took off the trim ring and adjust the headlamp on a light board at an inspection station. The light was low about 1.5 inches. Then had Harley reprogram so spots are on all the time. Very good at night now."

Had to do the exact same thing, about 10 complete turns of the screw put the light up where it needs to be. Prior to this, my low beam shot straight down and my high beam hit what seemed like only 30 feet in front of me.
Works great now!

Old 11-18-2013, 05:48 PM
KSully63
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PHXBiker
Ditto, I had a 2014 right behind me and didn't see the headlight at all. Changed my mind about getting the LEDs for my 2013.
Very good observation. I have not driven at night yet but find myself trying to look over the fairing or look for a reflection off the back of a car because I was questioning if the running light was on at all.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Just have the passing lamps programed to stay on with the brights and all is good.
I also had to screw the headlight up and down adjustment right up tight high side to get it high enough.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

Does the Limited have the day maker? If it does I don't know what every body is complaining about, cause I have a street glide with just the day maker and no passing lamps, and that thing lights up the road from fence to fence. In fact every body I ride with at night always want me to lead because they can all see better if I'm out front. I would suggest proper aiming and see if that helps.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:30 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcyclelockman
I do not know where you live, but, as long as I'm around some sort of other light source, I have no problem. It's just when I'm on a dark rural road by myself, which is where I live. If I did not have to go home at night I'd be OK. Ha Ha !
this is exactly what I reported back a year or so ago with the dual bulb looking LEDs made by JW Speaker. In the TX hill country where twisties and deer are around every turn, they flat out sucked. I took them off within 3 days, took a loss on them and sold them, spots too.

This newer version of the LED that folks intepret to be some concoction of Truck Light (I don't know that to be a fact myself) is 100% better for night time riding. Much wider field of depth than the originals made by JW Speaker. I like these much better now.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 11-19-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:33 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Softy 103
Does the Limited have the day maker? If it does I don't know what every body is complaining about, cause I have a street glide with just the day maker and no passing lamps, and that thing lights up the road from fence to fence. In fact every body I ride with at night always want me to lead because they can all see better if I'm out front. I would suggest proper aiming and see if that helps.
Yea, the Limited comes with the Day Maker. It's the brightest damn thing I've ever had on a bike. My only gripe was that I missed the close-in side to side lighting that the passing lamps offer when the high beam was on. I had the dealer do the mod so they stay on. If I didn't have passing lamps, I wouldn't know what I was missing and the Day Maker would still be WAY better than my fatboy was in the dark.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Cliff-AZ
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is sad. Ive considered swapping my headlight for an LED but every review I read makes the same complaint about daylight viability from other drivers. Glad I left all alone. I'm surprised HD would put these in their bikes knowing this.
Crazy!

Old 11-22-2013, 04:56 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

I love the Daymakers myself, with the stock headlight it was only decent on high beam and the daymakers light up the road much better for me. For you guys having issues you may want to adjust them.

Quick Reply: 2014 Headlight