Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 speaker and aftermarket amp install with pics

Old 09-10-2013, 07:32 PM
John_HD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 speaker and aftermarket amp install with pics

The album has all the images with every step listed in the description.

http://imgur.com/a/Eo2lU#0

I installed this in a way to avoid any permanent modifications to the bike. No Harley wires were cut or spliced. Improvised on a few steps too.

Note the speakers are harley boom 6.5" because the stock grills are too thick for aftermarket speakers. The harley 'boom' grills are $43/each which may allow some aftermarket speakers to work. They are thinner but they still don't have the room for my particular aftermarket speakers (Infiniti Kappa 62.9i).

Old 09-11-2013, 02:46 AM
yokdriver
Tourer

Nice install I just did the same except I used Kicker 6.75" speaker and the PBR300x4. How come you didn't run the power wires under the tank? also I mounted the amp sideways not front to back and I used the OEM screws to mount the amp in place.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:13 AM
John_HD
Tourer

Originally Posted by yokdriver
Nice install I just did the same except I used Kicker 6.75" speaker and the PBR300x4. How come you didn't run the power wires under the tank? also I mounted the amp sideways not front to back and I used the OEM screws to mount the amp in place.
  • Does the Kicker 6.75" fit in the 2014?
  • What did you use for the grill?
  • I've heard of problems with the x4.
  • I didn't see where OEM screws would hold/lign up with the amp. Do you have pics?
  • Finally the wires going under the tank panel isn't noticable so I felt there is little reason to go through the trouble of going under the tank.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:35 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

very nice sir.. thank you for sharing...

so a few questions in your opinion please.

1.) looks to be enough room for 2 of the PBR amps the way you have that 1 amp mounted. Is that the case?

2.) looking at the speaker "pods" there appear to be ridges running back and forth through the inside of the pod for strengthening I would assume. Will those be in the way of adding any other type of aftermarket 6.5" speaker?

3.) do you think it possible to add something like a BT7P1 7.1" in that pod with it's much larger magnet? I suppose it won't be too much longer before the AM manufacturers come out with adapter rings to mount to the fairing itself.

4.) is there enough "meat" on the inner fairing grill screw holes to accomodate an adapter ring?

Old 09-11-2013, 08:23 AM
John_HD
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
very nice sir.. thank you for sharing...

so a few questions in your opinion please.

1.) looks to be enough room for 2 of the PBR amps the way you have that 1 amp mounted. Is that the case??
Yes, you will have to move the two harnesses but 2 PBRs should fit. BTW: I mounted the PBR the same on my 2011 and looked like 2 would fit in the old model too.

2.) looking at the speaker "pods" there appear to be ridges running back and forth through the inside of the pod for strengthening I would assume. Will those be in the way of adding any other type of aftermarket 6.5" speaker??
The issue I'm having isn't the space inside the pods (which appears plentiful for larger magnets) Its the gap between the pods and the front fairing. The HD boom grills help give more space but when I tested with the Infiniti 62.9, the foam ring around the speaker was getting squished by the grill.

3.) do you think it possible to add something like a BT7P1 7.1" in that pod with it's much larger magnet? I suppose it won't be too much longer before the AM manufacturers come out with adapter rings to mount to the fairing itself.?
I've not seen the 7.1. But the speaker 'pods' MUST remain. They are in place of the old metal fairing support bars. These pods are a critical support structure for the fairing.

4.) is there enough "meat" on the inner fairing grill screw holes to accomodate an adapter ring?
No way. These screws are short and there are only 3 holes. Its very tight specs. Besides the pods are providing support to the whole fairing. There are warnings on all instructions and service manual to never run the bike without the pods.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

awesome.. thanks for the additional information...

Old 09-11-2013, 10:18 AM
yokdriver
Tourer

this is the only picture I have from the install I did, but if you layed the amp this way you will see the screws that line up with it and I just drilled holes in the amp to mount it

Old 09-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Great stuff! Thanks so much for posting and including so many detailed pics

Old 09-11-2013, 12:17 PM
John_HD
Tourer

Originally Posted by yokdriver
this is the only picture I have from the install I did, but if you layed the amp this way you will see the screws that line up with it and I just drilled holes in the amp to mount it
Can you tell me any modifications you did to make the kickers fit and what grills you used?

Old 09-11-2013, 02:08 PM
yokdriver
Tourer

The kickers did not need any modifications they are a perfect fit for the HD speaker pod they measure 6.5" edge to edge but fit in the speaker pod like its oem and they sit just as flush as oem so other speaker grills were not needed.

These are what I have http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CS6...674.html?tp=94

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 speaker and aftermarket amp install with pics