Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome switches on a police bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:34 PM
neurostudy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome switches on a police bike?

I am going to replace the police switches on my 2002 RK. Should I just clip and tape the siren and pursuit light switch? Is there anything special i need to know? Thanks.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:19 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chrome switches on a police bike?

My pursuit light switch on my 2000 RKp was wired to run the spotlights. I bought standard switch housings (black) on ebay for cheap, and did away with the extra switches altogether. I also removed the clutch switch (the little button switch behind the clutch lever) and wired a toggle switch in its place, hidden on the bike to slow down bike thieves a little.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:37 PM
neurostudy
Cruiser

Mine appears to be the same set up. I assume you also used a toggle switch for your running lights.......what about the horn? Did you use the switch that is currently there for your siren.....just to the left of the hi lo beam switch. This is where it is located on a standard RK. I like the idea of hiding the clutch switch. Come to think of it the switch for the siren may not be spring loaded...Imay have to replace that switch.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I had the same switches on my FLHTPI and re-wired to install chrome controls. I purchased the "horn/hi-lo" switch and replaced the police switches that were there. With used switches that purchase would be avoided.I think the new HDreplacement switches were less than $30. Bought Custom Chrome controls from Eastern Performance Cycles for $120 and free shipping; kit included chrome levers, clutch perch, master cylinder, switch housings,etc.

I also eliminated the clutch lock-out wiring by splicing the wires inside the fairing that the left hand socket plugs into; don't know how this is set-up on the King police models.

In any event, having the police supplement to the HD Service manual was very helpful since they include very complete wiring diagrams.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:17 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, had to buy new switches for the horn side to get rid of the siren button. Also, I dumped the spotlights and bar, so didn't need a switch for those, but there was (is) a toggle switch on the back of the nacelle, left side, thatI could've wired the spots to.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

I didn't go chrome, but I changed the right bar control to a Standard lower housing, eliminating the light switch.... the left control I left alone because I like the "P" spec horn button better, but I took a black start button from a right side control, sanded the letttering off with 2000 grit wet/dry and replaced the red siren on the left side with it. I'll use that switch to activate a relay some day for something or other I'll need.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Blue eyes 56
Intermediate

On my 04 FLHPI I replaced the left side switches and housingand went with a chrome housing and stock switches. On the right side I had the housing Chrome plated and the spotlight switch cover "metalized" which I think was just chrome paint as it was wearing off before I had the housing reassembled. The guy told me if the plastic was not"ABS" that the process would destroy the red plastic. So I called the MOCO and the lady say's that the plastic type was a company secret and she would not tell me. What a bunch of B.S. I like the spotlight switch on the bars that's why I set it up this way, also eliminated the clutch switch. That red plastic piece at the dealer is about 15 bucks so I may just order one and send it out to be plated and see what happens.Having the service manual and the police supplement manual was very helpful as mentioned above.