Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best and Worst Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 PM
SteveMKentucky
Tourer

Received 63 Likes on 14 Posts

So what's wrong with the stock filter? I know K&N breathes easier but filters less contaminants. Seems like a bad choice to me for longevity of the engine. Am I willing to give up a horse or two at top RPM for engine durability... YES! Did the engineers at Harley just design a crappy intake system? On purpose? Or are they just incompetent?

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Last edited by SteveMKentucky; 06-06-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Zmann
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have a Screaming Eagle air intake, too flashy for my liking. In fact I was contemplating removing it when I bought the bike. After riding the Street Glide, I have decided that although it is Butt Ugly, it is staying. I really like the fact that it is out of the way for my right leg, I can hug the tank with both legs without fighting the stock air cleaner. My impression is two thumbs up to this Butt Ugly air cleaner.

Attached Thumbnails Best and Worst Air Intakes-image.jpg  

Last edited by Zmann; 06-06-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveMKentucky
So what's wrong with the stock filter? I know K&N breathes easier but filters less contaminants. Seems like a bad choice to me for longevity of the engine. Am I willing to give up a horse or two at top RPM for engine durability... YES! Did the engineers at Harley just design a crappy intake system? On purpose? Or are they just incompetent?

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
It's not the filter as much as the stock air box being to restrictive. Any open element AC will be an improvement over stock. The reason for the Stock design is the epa not harley engineers being incompetent or designing a crappy system on purpose.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 PM
whodis?
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the stock box with the K&N

Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Sometimes its worth a little extra cash.

Attached Thumbnails Best and Worst Air Intakes-capture.jpg  
Old 06-06-2013, 11:37 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

The S&S single bore tuned induction system is probably one of the best(and expensive)systems . It Makes power top to bottom.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:36 AM
Android
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
It's not the filter as much as the stock air box being to restrictive. Any open element AC will be an improvement over stock. The reason for the Stock design is the epa not harley engineers being incompetent or designing a crappy system on purpose.
Check your "facts" the reason has nothing to do with EPA. If so then why would the CVO bikes have opened up air intakes?

Originally Posted by whodis?
I like the stock box with the K&N
Stock box and K&N filter is the best bang for the buck hands down.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:50 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 568 Likes on 214 Posts

I had the Big Sucker and liked it a lot but even with the short element I had to sell it to put speakers in my lower fairings.

I went to the SE Ventilator but felt that it was giving off more heat. Maybe it was the way it directed air around the engine or maybe it was acting as a heat sink to the engine... in either case, I didn't like it and sold that.

I now have FuelMoto's setup and like it as much as my old Big Sucker.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Android
Check your "facts" the reason has nothing to do with EPA. If so then why would the CVO bikes have opened up air intakes?

Stock box and K&N filter is the best bang for the buck hands down.
I believe the reason for the stock air cleaner housing is to quiet down the intake noise, probably for the EPA mandated noise standards on vehicles. When the twin cam originally was designed, it was made so most of the covers did not support moving parts (unlike previous H-D engines) to quiet the engine down, to meet EPA mandated requirements. Many years ago on here this was all discussed.

As to why the CVO's have open air filters, I can't answer that. Maybe because they are limited production?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,880 Likes on 21,305 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaGonza
I'd like some opinions on Air Intakes for the Street Glide. I'm not much for flashy style, just something simple and effective. Pic of what you have on yours would also be welcomed. Thanks
Didn't you see the latest edition of Consumer Reports?

Quick Reply: Best and Worst Air Intakes