General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Even" trade with a dealership?

Old 04-12-2013, 01:05 PM
N83
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taygull
You will never get "the best deal" when trading a bike...with that said if you do a trade you shouldn't have to pay sales tax except on the difference...
Exactly- that's one of my biggest reasons against selling it myself. Taxes in MD are 6% and will cost me $900 on a $15,000 bike.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I suspect, and expect, that they will offer you wholesale for your bike and charge you retail for the replacement. That's how retail sales works. How else would they stay in business?

Old 04-12-2013, 01:21 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

don't think many dealers are going to do an even trade...they need to make money on both ends of the deal. to say that the dealer is taking advantage of you is just plain wrong. they are a for profit business. if you can trade for a new bike for a couple of thousand difference--that is fair. you get new bike warranty, new tires, etc....plus you get the bike you want. the dealer makes money. win/win.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:24 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,677 Likes on 21,254 Posts

Ever consider just working with what you have?

After all it is still a softail.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:32 PM
N83
Advanced

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Ever consider just working with what you have?

After all it is still a softail.
I'm not entirely opposed to it. I'm very thankful for it and it's a gorgeous bike. I was just wondering if I could get into something more my style.

Maybe I'll just keep waiting until a 2007-2008 Night Train in my area comes along. I probably won't be able to get a Fat Boy Lo since 2010 is the first year and they'll still be a little out of range...

Old 04-12-2013, 04:22 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,472 Likes on 2,475 Posts

No offense, but I would take a Deluxe over a Lo ANY day of the week..Basically the same bike, but MUCH better looking. I think of the Lo & current Fatboy as a pretty chick with a fat ***. AFAIC, they ruined the Fatboy when they went to the 200 tire & fat fender. The Co has a recent history of ruining bikes with ugly rear fenders.

Between a Deluxe & a NightTrain, I would seriously have to flip a coin. They are both righteous sleds. Only problem is, at least around here, Trains are REALLY hot right now 'cause you can't get 'em & everyone is realizing how righteous they are. I kick myself every day for selling my '05.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:29 PM
freenez
Banned

I traded a Fatboy for a Dyna convertible straight up back in the late 90s, The dealer worked the numbers and not a penny changed hands. In real numbers I lost some bucks, but I got the bike I wanted without much hassle, you know buy and sell bs. It can happen. Kind of a trade down in some minds but It was my deal and I rode away happy, good luck. Just ask, all they can say is yes or no. Lets hear back, interesting ???

Old 04-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

I've been working at dealerships since 1995, no way they will give you retail for your bike, not even close. If the bikes are "worth" even money, I could see them having you give up about $2,ooo for the trade.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:01 PM
N83
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bestrafen
I've been working at dealerships since 1995, no way they will give you retail for your bike, not even close. If the bikes are "worth" even money, I could see them having you give up about $2,ooo for the trade.
Good call- this is almost exactly what's going down. I talked to the wife about the situation and how chances were slim I'd get the Lo and probably have to get an older Night Train. She really doesn't like the Trains (yes, she's crazy) and said she'd be cool with us putting-up $2,000 to make the Lo work.

So, tonight I stopped by to check-out the Lo I saw online (2010, black denim, $15.5K). While I was there I noticed another Lo that wasn't online. 2010, also black denim, $15.9. However, the latter had about $2,000 in mods.

I chatted with a really cool salesman about my situation. He told me the trade-in on my Deluxe ($10.x) and I told him how I'm trying to spend as little money on the swap as possible (no more than $2,000). He chatted with the GM for a very long time but never came back for the, "Are you sure you can't do..." routine.

Turns out that with me only being able to do $2,000, it'd be darn-near an even swap, so they need to call the owner tomorrow to justify the deal to cover their rears. The kicker, though- they have more money in the Lo with no accessories, so I'd probably be getting the one that's $500 more with all the accessories. It's cool, because I can see myself doing most of them anyway (in one form or another). The only thing I don't like about that bike is the Reach seat that's on it (not cool for a 6'5" dude). I don't know if they'd be willing to swap the seats or if I'll just have to buy a new one or pay someone to modify the Reach.

So yeah, there's the update. I'll hear back from the fellas tomorrow on whether or not I'll be in a Lo! Below is a pic I snapped of the one with mods:

Old 04-12-2013, 07:38 PM
jmale1972
Road Master

Originally Posted by smitty901
Simple talk to them. Some models sell better than other in different areas.
If they have 3 of one an1 of yours they may want a trade.
Dealers are there to make money they make more on used than new. Their stuff is gold yours is silver. but deals can be made.
Look around how long have the bikes they have been sitting?
Time of year makes a big difference in many areas .
So very true.....

Last edited by jmale1972; 04-12-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Even" trade with a dealership?