Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to tie bike down in an enclosed trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 AM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I hook one strap to each side of the lower part of my bars crank them down to where the wheel can't hop. then throw one strap over my swing arm in the rear and done, (need good and secure eyelets in the floor). was taught to haul my dirtbikes this way as a kid, and use the same method for all bikes. I have hauled bikes almost the entire length of the east coast using this method and have never had one fall. I don't haul bikes as much as I used to but when I do I still use this method.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:33 AM
05RKCRider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Pretty much covers it, the only things I did different was using a wheel locking type front chock so the bike would stay up-right after I got off to hook up straps & I took old crew socks with the toe cut off & slid them over the soft straps to protect the strap & chrome.
Now I'm retired I sold the trailer & ride everywhere I go as time is no longer a problem. All my straps & wheel chocks are now stored upstairs in my garage. Life is good.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 AM
RevRaz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You also don't want to pull forward in the rear because you lose stability. Directly straight would be best, and I think even rearward over forward would be preferred. The front straps will not let those rear straps pull the bike backward, just don't put ratchets in the back.

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
I don't agree with the video showing how he pulls the rear back against the chock. You always want to pull forward towards the chock. To be real honest you don't even have to pull the rear forward,just don't pull against the front. Securing it side to side is fine too,just not rearward. I put two PowerTye big daddy's on the front and two PowerTye fat straps on the rear. I pull down and forward toward the front of the trailer and the chock. I have done this for years and not one problem.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 AM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I use a block of wood (4x6 or 6x6) under the frame/motor to help keep the bikes light on the suspension while trailering. The wheels are still on the trailer but when I ratchet it down I’m not completely collapsing the forks and rear shocks. I still use the 4 point tie down method but you don't have to collapse the suspension as much and it keeps the bike sitting very solid and level. I’m not a suspension expert but was told after having fork seals replaced on a couple of my dirt bikes that collapsing the front suspension and bouncing down the road is hell on seals.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Bud Light is necessary for proper tie-down

As far as straps...smart strap retractable , hands down...the loose end retracts into the tie down, once you use a set of these you will throw your other straps away...they sometimes have them at Wal-mart.

http://www.smartstraps.com/products/...tractable.aspx

Do yourself a favor and buy a fold-down chock for the trailer...you back out the bike, fold it down and you have a smooth floor...no unbolting or storing or tripping over it...I have used every type of chock made, and these are the least trouble.

http://www.powersportsplace.com/part...FQyDnQodbDEASg

Old 02-17-2013, 12:03 PM
buford
Cruiser

Also keep in mind that higher wheel chocks could may damage a rim on tire side wall if it rubs in any way. I always place an old towel into the chock to prevent this from happening. You don't want to pull away from the front chock with rear tie downs. The main reason for the rear tie down is to keep the bike from shifting from side to side when traveling.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:16 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Never leave it on the side stand, it will ruin the bushing.

NEVER have the aft straps pulling against the front straps. Every accel/decel of your vehicle causes the straps to stretch ever so lighty and if the straps a re working against each other it is increased.

Bwana

Old 02-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Wild Duck
Cruiser

Always trailer with jiffy stand UP.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:02 PM
WestPalmBop
Cruiser

Slickest setup i have ever seen. No more straps. 2 seconds and off you go!

http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2012...trailer-mount/

Old 02-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by WestPalmBop
Slickest setup i have ever seen. No more straps. 2 seconds and off you go!

http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2012...trailer-mount/

Quick Reply: Best way to tie bike down in an enclosed trailer?