Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour pack install on street glide

Old 10-19-2012, 09:51 AM
batone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tour pack install on street glide

I recently purchased a used tour pack for my 2012 Street glide. I am going to purchase the two up tour pack mount from Motherwell. It appears to be the same design as the HD mount, but it comes in black. My dilemma is this...The tour pack I purchased was from a 2005. The rack I have to buy is for a 2009-2012 because of the wider rear tire. It appears that the bottom of the tour pack is different in 2009-2012 than it is on 1997-2008 models. Has anyone mounted an older tour pack on a 2009-2012? I am trying to determine if there are spacers, or a kit I need to get to allow the older tour pack to mount to the newer model mount. I tried searching for it, but I am convinced that the search button is someone's idea of a joke; rarely does it pull up what I am looking for…

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:52 AM
piesik650
Road Warrior

going to need different mounting bracket from Harley.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:58 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

I kept the tour pac from my 89 glide and bolted it up to the HD quick release bracket to run it when i want to on my 11 SG.

Your right that the bottom of the older tourpac is differnet from the newer ones, but...
It did not require any custom fabrication or extra brackets. I just lined up the holes and bolted it on.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:19 AM
joe04
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search for this here. I just completed the same on my 2012 SG.. You can use the 2 up detachable bracket. You will need a spacer, (i think it was about 5/8" thick), between the bracket and the Tourpack. The spacer I used was a plastic sheet. If I didn't tell you, you'd never know the Pack was an older version.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:38 PM
BIGVTWIN
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joe04
Do a search for this here. I just completed the same on my 2012 SG.. You can use the 2 up detachable bracket. You will need a spacer, (i think it was about 5/8" thick), between the bracket and the Tourpack. The spacer I used was a plastic sheet. If I didn't tell you, you'd never know the Pack was an older version.
Ditto, not a problem with mine for over 6500 miles.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Cmat
Novice

I am planning to do the same with a my 2011 Road King Classic. I bought a tour pak from a 2007 RKC that has the 2 point docking system already installed on it. (I am presently waiting for it to be shipped from the eBay seller.)I have the 4 point docking system installed on my bike. I was told by the local dealer that I would have to remove the 2 point bracket on the tour pak and replace it with a 4 point bracket and that would be all I have to do. I am hoping that is correct. Has anyone had experience with the Motherwell 2 up tour pack brackets? They cost about the same as the HD bracket but look easier to remove.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I kept my Chopped Tour Pak off my 2008 (old style) and mounted it on the newer mount when I traded bikes.
I had to drill some new holes in the bottom of the Tour Pak
and something I bought in the past came with a spacer (#30 in the picture) that luckily I had kept.

Name:  TourPakmount2.jpg
Views: 3464
Size:  52.6 KB

Here's the other two pages of instructions:

Name:  TourPakmount1.jpg
Views: 2398
Size:  111.3 KB

Name:  TourPakmount3.jpg
Views: 2194
Size:  60.5 KB

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 10-19-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:12 PM
batone
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cmat
I am planning to do the same with a my 2011 Road King Classic. I bought a tour pak from a 2007 RKC that has the 2 point docking system already installed on it. (I am presently waiting for it to be shipped from the eBay seller.)I have the 4 point docking system installed on my bike. I was told by the local dealer that I would have to remove the 2 point bracket on the tour pak and replace it with a 4 point bracket and that would be all I have to do. I am hoping that is correct. Has anyone had experience with the Motherwell 2 up tour pack brackets? They cost about the same as the HD bracket but look easier to remove.
If your RK is the same as my street glide, you will have to have the four point bracket for a 2011. In 2009 Harley widened the rear tire on the street glide(and I assumed all touring models) so the 1997-2008 brackets wont work. I am purchasing the motherwell also, mainly because I can get it in gloss black, I am hoping it is as good as the harley. I cant find much of anything on it by searching, so I am assuming it is okay. If it were crap there would be no shortage of post telling about it.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:14 PM
batone
Cruiser

Thanks,

So I might be able to get that spacer from Harley for a small fortune....or one of my appendages??

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
I kept my Chopped Tour Pak off my 2008 (old style) and mounted it on the newer mount when I traded bikes.
I had to drill some new holes in the bottom of the Tour Pak
and something I bought in the past came with a spacer (#30 in the picture) that luckily I had kept.

Here's the other two pages of instructions:

Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Cmat
Novice

Originally Posted by batone
If your RK is the same as my street glide, you will have to have the four point bracket for a 2011. In 2009 Harley widened the rear tire on the street glide(and I assumed all touring models) so the 1997-2008 brackets wont work. I am purchasing the motherwell also, mainly because I can get it in gloss black, I am hoping it is as good as the harley. I cant find much of anything on it by searching, so I am assuming it is okay. If it were crap there would be no shortage of post telling about it.
Ya I do have the 4 point bracket already installed for my passenger back rest. I spent the money on the 4 point connector when I bought the bike just so I could add items like this in the future. I wish there were reviews about the Motherwell brackets out there. I have searched and that is how I came across this thread. You are right though, if they were substandard there would be a lot of people complaining about the quality. I hope it works well because the quick disconnect for the back rest can rip a knuckle off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tour pack install on street glide