Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Shovelhead Frame Modification Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Hadlebfc
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovelhead Frame Modification Suggestions

Hi guys,

New to the forum and already would like to reach out for suggestions. I have a slightly modified 1978 FL Frame which was modified to fit a Evo if I ever went that path. But I decided to go Shovelhead for the retro look, and it's a 88 Cubic Inch S&S SuperStroker in 74' Cases. Unfortunately, the front Rocker Cover is contacting my Downtubes and I estimate the Downtubes (front portion of my frame) would need to be moved forward ~1.1" to fit the engine. So my choices are to sell the frame and get a new frame, or keep this frame and do some major mods to make it fit. Attached are pictures showing my frame and how the front Rocker Cover is contacting the Downtubes. I am seeking guidance on how to tackle this problem or should I just get a new frame that has the same look. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Shovelhead Frame Modification Suggestions-b.jpg   Shovelhead Frame Modification Suggestions-a.jpg   Shovelhead Frame Modification Suggestions-c.jpg  
Old 09-12-2012, 01:23 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It seems very odd your motor is touching your frame. I would contact S&S first and ask them if their 88" should fit. If they say it should do, get your frame geometry checked out. It may be it has suffered a front end or something and needs straightening out. That should be cheaper than getting another one!