Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts Review

Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 AM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskie46
So, i installed the D&K Thunder Torque inserts yesterday (the W118's) and Holy ****! The 2 1/2" Cycle Shack slash cuts sounded "OK" before the inserts (a lot better then stock) but once i threw the inserts in, they were like completely different pipes out to kill someone. With the cone facing the end of the pipe, i have a deeper rumble and it is loud. Up here in northern wisconsin, deer are around every corner, so loud pipes really do save lives. If your on the fence about theses inserts, do it. D&K has a great product here.

Hey! Thanks for the awesome review!!! Those little things really are awesome. Its amazing to me how one little thing can drastically change the sound of the bike. Plus, the little extra umph doesn't hurt either....

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-04-2013, 02:14 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pardon my ignorance but wouldn't the OP need a free flowing a/c to feel the real improvement that the Thunder Torque inserts make? Seems like the factory lean condition should be addressed before feeling much of a torque improvement?

-Beer

Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Muskie46
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iwantmybeerbackplease
Pardon my ignorance but wouldn't the OP need a free flowing a/c to feel the real improvement that the Thunder Torque inserts make? Seems like the factory lean condition should be addressed before feeling much of a torque improvement?

-Beer
I wasnt able to get on the bike yet to see how much of a difference was made torque wise, but they improved sound and tune quite a bit which to me is worth the $30 alone.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by iwantmybeerbackplease

-Beer

You will feel an improvement in low and mid range torque with the TTI's in the exhaust, even with the stock air cleaner. This is because it increases the exhaust gas velocity.

With a HiFlow A/C, you will feel an even better improvement.
But the TTI's make the exhuast work more efficiently regardless of the A/C.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 AM
JayPMack
Novice

So, if you install them in the stock exhaust w/o baffles, then you will need to drill a hole in the slip-on? Will a standard drill get through the slip-on, or do you need something a little more powerful?

Old 04-05-2013, 12:15 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by JayPMack
So, if you install them in the stock exhaust w/o baffles, then you will need to drill a hole in the slip-on? Will a standard drill get through the slip-on, or do you need something a little more powerful?
Yes, you will need to drill a hole for the TTI. A standard hand held drill has no problem drilling thru them.

Here's a video that may be helpful to you-

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-05-2013, 12:24 PM
JayPMack
Novice

Yes, you will need to drill a hole for the TTI. A standard hand held drill has no problem drilling thru them.

Here's a video that may be helpful to you-
Converting Stock Harley Exhaust Slip-ons - YouTube

Thanks Kevin, I already watched the video, but it doesn't show any actual installation of the TTI's, hence the question. But if a basic cordless drill can get through, then I think I got it from there. Will be ordering some very soon.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Converting Stock Harley Exhaust Slip-ons - YouTube

Thanks Kevin, I already watched the video, but it doesn't show any actual installation of the TTI's, hence the question. But if a basic cordless drill can get through, then I think I got it from there. Will be ordering some very soon.
I used a handheld drill to open up the hole on the slip on. Except a used a bevel bit which is a cone shaped bit. But you can use a 5/16 bit to open her up. It's only a hair off.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:28 PM
JayPMack
Novice

I used a handheld drill to open up the hole on the slip on. Except a used a bevel bit which is a cone shaped bit. But you can use a 5/16 bit to open her up. It's only a hair off.Thanks for the tip Mac10

Old 04-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I used a handheld drill to open up the hole on the slip on. Except a used a bevel bit which is a cone shaped bit. But you can use a 5/16 bit to open her up. It's only a hair off.

Thanks for the tip Mac10
No prob. It's an easy install and you'll be happy with the results.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts Review