Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic Oil Not Recommended by Factory in Primary

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:32 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Ya that ^^^ stuff for 60,000 miles no issues never have used SYN 3 because somebody told me it is a blend
'blend' can mean many different things. it is considered to be a full synthetic with a blend of 3 different basestocks. not the same as the blend that i run in my truck that is a dino/synthetic blend....

this is oversimplifying it, i know. but without going into the fine detail of the difference in basestocks etc. that could take a whole book (and is better left to the experts. and i do mean real experts, not the self proclaimed ones)

Originally Posted by Rickey
I live these threads. Worth reading just to look at all the geniuses. I'm just a DAR (dumb *** redneck for those who aren't). I love how everyone talks trash to everyone. It's like who's pecker is bigger than the next. Quite frankly, mine may be short but it's girthy.
quite frankly, thats way more information than i needed/wanted. and please, no pics

Originally Posted by cochon
I'm sorry. I don't mean to call you out or be rude, but, what does a reference to automobile automatic transmission fluid have to do with the OP's question? Are you even remotely suggesting that Mobil 1 ATF has any place in a Harley? If so, please explain your thoughts.
there is more than a few folks that run atf in their primary.

Last edited by skratch; 08-15-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

From HD

Formulated for use in Harley-Davidson® Engines, Transmissions and the following Primary Chaincase applications: '71-later XL, '83-'84 XR1000, '08-later XR and '84-later Big Twin models with wet-type diaphragm spring clutch.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 AM
fxdsegrl
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2012 CVO came with Syn 3 in all holes as previously mentioned. At the first service which was included in my purchase the dealer asked me if I would like Redline Shock proof heavy in the trans. I agreed at his recommendation. He felt it was a better application.
For the primary he used the HD Formula plus but I may switch to Redline MTL for the primary as this combo is what my husband uses. FYI we use Mob 1 20/50 syn for the engine.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Wink

Bump...

Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 AM
mr396
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the manual for oil specs to be used in each hole (i.e. engine, tranny, primary). Then use an oil that meets the specs for that application. I have never seen any specs that differentiate between synthethic, blend, or pure dino. There are brands of oils (that use syn, blend, or dino) that meet the specs.

People have to get over this paranonia of syn vs dino. They are the same carbon based chain of molecules. The major difference is dino has a much larger molecular distribution (wider range of very short chain and very long chain molecules) as well as branched molecules. The branched and very long chained molecules are the ones that tend to get sheared-off during high shear stress situation in the engine, tranny, etc, which leads to viscosity breakdown. Syn oil tends to have a much narrower molecular distribution of molecules (the chains of molecules are more similar and less really short or really long molecules). This is because, during the manufacturing process they can control this molecular chain-length process to get the length and distribution they want for a particular oil base stock. Typically, syn does not have any branched molecules as they are straight chain.

None of the base oil stocks would ever meet the oil specs without oil additives. This is the real key differentiator between oil brands. I am not going to go into all the different oil additives and what they do here, you can do a search online.

All the dealer or HD should ever state is for you to use the oil that meets the SPECS PER THE MANUAL. If they require you to use a specific brand of oil, then according to Fed Law, they will be required to provide that oil for free to you. If they are changing the specs from the manual they have some issues as well. Next time the local dealer says something crazy like that, ask them to show it to you in the owners manual. If they can not, tell them to shut the F$%#-up then and quit spewing BS around.

Now with all that said, everyone has their own "preferred" brand or type of oil. I have seen a lot of threads on this on this forum. Most of it is usually based on emotional (feeling) and less on actual facts of the oil performance. Being an eng. I like to see facts. So look for studies done on motorcycle oils using ASTM (industry standard) tests to test for Viscosity shear stability(ASTM D-6278), Hi temp/hi shear viscosity(HT/HS ASTM D5481), zinc concentration(Ppm), wear protection (4-ball ASTM D-4172), gear test (FZG ASTM D-5192), oxidation test (TFOUT ASTM D4742), volatility(evaporation, ASTM D-5800), acid neutralization (expressed as TBN , ASTM D-2896), foaming tendency (ASTM D-892), rust protection (ASTM D-1748), wet clutch compatibility (JASO T 904:2006). You want JASO MA2 for our motorcycle wet clutch.

Once you have these specs and compare them with other brands you can then intelligently state which oil is actually the "best".

The fact is, if the oil meets the specs of your owners manual and you follow the maintenance specs per the manual, there is not much difference. They will all work.

Hope this helps.

PS- noticed I never stated which oil I prefer in all this.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Strtgldr1
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default syn in primary

Going in for my 1,000 service tommorrow

Motor: Amsoil SAE 20/50

Trans: Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6 Spd. SAE 75w140

Primary: Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil

All Synthetic(had in my two 2008 & 2007 fxdli lowriders smooth as Butta)

really quieted down trans, motor

2012 street glide, stk. for know

Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Wink Yup!

Originally Posted by foghorn
Would you put engine oil in the transmission in your car? Would you put transmission fluid in the rear end of your car? Hell no you would not. Put engine oil in your engine, primary fluid in the primary, transmission fluid in transmission. Problems solved, recommended fluids in proper place. Yes, something else might work for awhile, but why risk it when it is simple 3rd grade rocket science. Redline tranny fluid is good for 20,000miles. Redline primary fluid is good for 10,000 miles. Amsoil engine oil is good for 5,000 miles. Change oil every 5,000 miles, every other oil change, change primary fluid, every 4th oil change, change all 3 fluids.
I was going to say this...but this gentleman did a better job...

Oh yeah...wasn't this about Primary Fluid?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
That's funny cuz Syn3 is a synthetic blend.....I've been using Rotella T6 (jaso MA wet clutch approved) for ever. You cant put good oil in the primary or it wont break down and bring you back for service work.......see what's wrong with that picture?
Originally Posted by tubeman426
Last time I looked at a regular bottle of harley primary oil it was labled as a synthetic blend.
When it comes to harleys and oil the boogie man is lurking around every corner
Last bottle I read said full synthetic and it surprised me.

I'm putting Redline Primary in next time. I don't see why SYN 3 is a problem though.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdsegrl
My 2012 CVO came with Syn 3 in all holes as previously mentioned. At the first service which was included in my purchase the dealer asked me if I would like Redline Shock proof heavy in the trans. I agreed at his recommendation. He felt it was a better application.
For the primary he used the HD Formula plus but I may switch to Redline MTL for the primary as this combo is what my husband uses. FYI we use Mob 1 20/50 syn for the engine.
Smart dealer.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Driving older models

My "old" 2006 Ultra manuals, both service and owners, specified HD transmission/primary fluid in those two holes and essentially diesel grade oil in the engine. Never have found what an equivalent to the HD trans/primary oil was.
I like the thought of using one fluid in all holes and at 5K mile service intervals, I seriously doubt that any quality lubricant is going to break down.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Not Recommended by Factory in Primary