Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting Traditional-Shape Footboards on Fat Boy Lo

Old 07-14-2012, 04:16 AM
TennesseeGene
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting Traditional-Shape Footboards on Fat Boy Lo

Hey Y'all,

I am really digging the Diamond Black Collection Hand Grips and Foot Pegs.

Problem is, I bought the traditional black footboard pans to house the rider footboard insert and cant find out why Harley says they will not fit. I think it is an issue with the kickstands.

The local Fit Shop said, "The only difference between the Fatboy and the Lo is the kickstand, because the brackets are the same and the frame is the same but, obviously, the height is different." He went on to tell me that I should buy a fatboy kickstand and that I would be fine to put the traditional footboards, and ultimately finish out the Diamond Black Collection foot controls. Does this sound safe? or has anyone ever had traditional footboards on ther fatboy lo...preferably a 2012...?

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:20 AM
TennesseeGene
Cruiser

Oh yeah I guess I should also say that The bike is being delivered to the states and I will not get to her for like a month. The Stealer has no idea why they will not fit, so I am all on my lonesome on this. I only get 12 days stateside to ride so I wanna make sure the stealer has everything they need to ready her for my trip...Help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:38 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Not a 100% sure, but as far as I can figure out the fatboy lo jiffy is number 18, and the fatboy jiffy is number 17 on the attached image.

Might be that the peg welded on for deploying the stand is in the way of the traditional boards.

Don't see why it wouldn't be safe, lots of people have lowered their fatboys and not changed out the jiffy.

Screenshot of the image is from this website:
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm

Attached Thumbnails Putting Traditional-Shape Footboards on Fat Boy Lo-picture-1.jpg  
Old 07-14-2012, 05:57 AM
TennesseeGene
Cruiser

Yeah I guess that is true, about lowering the fatboy, as the bikes mostly are identicle except for color options and height, and now the Jiffy Stands? So it makes sense that if you lower a Fatboy you get a different color Fatboy lo. My question is if this is the case, then why did HD change the Jiffy in the first place if it interferes with the boards and therefore the aftermarket products they could sell unless they had a safety reason??? More importantly, I am hoping someone with traditional boards will tell me if this jiffy change actually works, and/or what they did to put their boards on. Nice website btw I still can not find the stand pic u sent but loads of good info there...I am pretty sure I will be fine with the Jiffy change but I would hate to waste the money on these boards and not get to use them this year.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:16 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

They just bolted on my '10, didn't have to change the kick stand. The regular (square) boards sit closer to the bike by about 1/2". Lay them side by side and you'll see.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:56 AM
TennesseeGene
Cruiser

So you didn't do anything to fit them on the bike? Is there anything on either side that is hard to gain acces to, or to service, or you feel seems unsafe or like it could be a problem? I.E. Do you feel that the boards get in the way of using the jiffy stand, or could they rub stock pipes or something along those lines? I read about another guy who said he bolted them on but when asked further about it he never replied as to if he did anything or had any issues.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:33 AM
nopetrol
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say thast you'll be fine. I just went the reverse with no trouble. I put '10 half-moon boards on my 2005 Fatboy. You're only changing the pan & pad. The actual mount between the pan & frame, and the kickstand is diff on the FB Lo, but it's not anything that prevents you from changing the pans.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:38 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Bolt right up, no issues, at least on a '10 model. YMMV

Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If they fit on Beasleyiv's 2010 then they will fit a 2012 as nothing in that area has been changed.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:13 PM
TennesseeGene
Cruiser

Thanks for all the info... I will tell my Stealer not to install the new kickstand unless there is some interference and maybe I can return that part. Nopetrol...You said that the mount for the pans is different on the lo as opposed to the fatboy? or did I read that wrong and you just meant the kickstand is different?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Putting Traditional-Shape Footboards on Fat Boy Lo