Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinging when it's hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:12 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Try a colder plug.
This is what I run;

http://www.amazon.com/Denso-IXU24-Ir.../dp/B000M6WQFY

Old 05-21-2012, 11:15 AM
torinoman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same thing,especially below 2500 rpm.If I roll on the throttle a little more the ping goes away.I only run 93 octane.I think the summer blend of gas makes it ping more.I recently change spark plugs it help a little.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by journeyman
Try a colder plug.
This is what I run;

http://www.amazon.com/Denso-IXU24-Ir.../dp/B000M6WQFY
Journeyman, give us some stat's on your finding with a cooler plug. How much pinging at what RPMs, cruise or throttling up, tuner and what you did or no tuner etc? It could help with a common complaint?

Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by WARDSPARTSWERKS
At what point is this happening, is it possibly a "lugging" issue that can be corrected with a simple downshift.
Above 2,250-2500rpm all the way to 3,250rpm when I open up so I wouldn't say the engine is lugging.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:42 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Journeyman, give us some stat's on your finding with a cooler plug. How much pinging at what RPMs, cruise or throttling up, tuner and what you did or no tuner etc? It could help with a common complaint?

I had the common pinging problem on my 2011, 103 T-max tuned motor, symptoms were.
- Hot engine
- Underload (like when passing or going up hill)
- Higher gears at lower rpms
- checked fuel pressure - good

Tried everything, octane made no difference, 10% Ethanol made no difference, ran some seafoam through for no difference. Cams made no difference (stock or SE 255).

Finally went with one a step colder plug, the Denso iridium # IXU24. Have had no problems since, in hot or cold weather. The recent ride, through the Smokies and Appalachian range loaded and double up in 85 degress - no pinging at all!

Best advice - get the plugs.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 AM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Above 2,250-2500rpm all the way to 3,250rpm when I open up so I wouldn't say the engine is lugging.
Depending on gear ratio, how hard you are accelerating, and the load, 2200-2500 "roll on" could still create a strain that makes the motor ping. I got cold plugs cold oil and still get a ping sometimes.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 AM
TVan
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine dose the same on 07 Ultra 45000 miles used. I think stock. Can you tell me what the best plugs for mine would be. I just have problem when accelerating above 2700 rpm, new to this bike but have 4000 miles on it myself.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by journeyman
I had the common pinging problem on my 2011, 103 T-max tuned motor, symptoms were.
- Hot engine
- Underload (like when passing or going up hill)
- Higher gears at lower rpms
- checked fuel pressure - good

Tried everything, octane made no difference, 10% Ethanol made no difference, ran some seafoam through for no difference. Cams made no difference (stock or SE 255).

Finally went with one a step colder plug, the Denso iridium # IXU24. Have had no problems since, in hot or cold weather. The recent ride, through the Smokies and Appalachian range loaded and double up in 85 degress - no pinging at all!

Best advice - get the plugs.
Sounds like you had the same symptoms I have. I'll get these plugs.
Thanks for the tip. If they don't solve my problem, I'll add fuel to the A/F mixture.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:58 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

My bike had a pinging issue much more severe than it sounds like you have. A combination of more fuel and less timing was my fix. Adding fuel will only do so much. Extra fuel does not prevent pinging directly. It does lower the temperatures slightly and that is where you may benefit. Removing a degree or two of timing in the affected areas has a direct effect and is probably the most effective way to eliminate a ping.

The colder spark plugs, as mentioned in a previous thread may help, but I have no experience to confirm or deny that fix.

The severity of your pinging probably dictates which adjustment or combination of adjustments will work best for you.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:59 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try running some Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus to clean your pistons / valves which would cause the pinging.

Quick Reply: Pinging when it's hot