Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

rake & trail

Old 11-20-2011, 09:40 AM
azwiz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rake & trail

Just looking at the spec on the Ultra and Tri Glide. The rake is the same (26*) but the trail is different (Ultra 6.69", TriGlide 3.94"). Can anyone explain?
also has anyone put a rake kit on the Tri Glide, can't believe the Ultra & Tri Glide have the same rake, trikes need more rake to ease the turning

thanks
Steve

Old 11-20-2011, 11:47 AM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by azwiz
Just looking at the spec on the Ultra and Tri Glide. The rake is the same (26*) but the trail is different (Ultra 6.69", TriGlide 3.94"). Can anyone explain?
also has anyone put a rake kit on the Tri Glide, can't believe the Ultra & Tri Glide have the same rake, trikes need more rake to ease the turning

thanks
Steve
Just a W.A.G., but longer trail increases directional stability... Shorter trail makes a bike a lot more reactive but easier to steer. I suspect what H-D was looking for was a way to create an easy-to-steer machine without having to tool up for a different neck/frame rake angle. (Cost savings) Hence, they left the rake alone and cut the trail to increase ease of handling, but in the course of doing so they ended up with a very goosey machine in terms of directional stability. Hence, they added the steering damper to off-set the tendancy to over-steer.

From my own limited experience with the 2011 Tri Glide, I can manage the potential oversteer now that I've got a few hundred miles on the thing. The effort to turn is fine in my case, but others who've got upper joint and/or strength challenges might find it a bit too much for long rides.

At any rate.. that's my 2 cents' worth!

Old 11-20-2011, 01:01 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

The triple trees on the triglide are raked, they have a different part number than 2 wheel bikes and you can see the stem is located different plus the forks are 1 3/4" longer which helps increase rake.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:12 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
The triple trees on the triglide are raked, they have a different part number than 2 wheel bikes and you can see the stem is located different plus the forks are 1 3/4" longer which helps increase rake.
I figured they'd have had to do something like that... No other way that I could see to change the trail.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:20 AM
Helmwurst
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your trike is squatting in the rear, like most of the earlier ones did, try adding a pair of adjustable or air shocks to the rear and raise it up level. This will improve the steering.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:11 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,557 Likes on 5,153 Posts

The frame rake is the same but the Tree is raked. I have a Trike front end on my 2017 RGU. The trike front increased wheel base by 4 inches. The tubes are almost 2 inches longer but with the rake of the tree is sits the same..

Old 11-01-2018, 06:32 PM
mctraveler
Road Master
Received 321 Likes on 250 Posts

To help improve steering.... if turning left, for example, lock your right elbow and just pull with the left hand.....technique requires a lot less effort...... can view this on the Lehman website..o

Old 11-01-2018, 07:02 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

A comfort lift kit is a must have , I don’t know if it will load the neck bearings and increase wear but it steers easier you have to be careful steering at higher speeds it turns quickly , I have the Legonds kit on mine

Old 11-02-2018, 02:32 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Legends does not make a Comfort Lift™ Kit. They make a standard lift kit that does not provide the additional shock angle to make the ride more plush.

We used to make a Standard Lift and a Comfort Lift™ , but have discontinued the standard. The Comfort Lift™ Kit is does everything the standard does and more. Link to details HERE.

Regarding the discussion of Rake & Trail. It can be a bit intimidating when first trying to understand it all, but there is a really good article at this LINK, by Mark Zimmerman, that gives all the technical info, but in fairly clear "English".

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-02-2018, 04:02 PM
ultrafxr
Cruiser
Received 122 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Legends does not make a Comfort Lift™ Kit. They make a standard lift kit that does not provide the additional shock angle to make the ride more plush.

We used to make a Standard Lift and a Comfort Lift™ , but have discontinued the standard. The Comfort Lift™ Kit is does everything the standard does and more. Link to details HERE.

Regarding the discussion of Rake & Trail. It can be a bit intimidating when first trying to understand it all, but there is a really good article at this LINK, by Mark Zimmerman, that gives all the technical info, but in fairly clear "English".
Absolutely great article. Thanks for posting!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rake & trail