Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Screaming Eagle Race Tuner vs. USB III Power Commander

Old 10-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Rad10
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Screaming Eagle Race Tuner vs. USB III Power Commander

Hi, pretty new to this computerized stuff on engines. So here we go...

I purchased a 2000 RKC EFI, tracked down the original owner and got this info:
95" Big bore kit
Screaming eagle stage II
Thunder Cone Pipes
USB III Power commander

I'm not to familiar with all the mapping or anything else so I will dive into that later, but today a friend was giving me all his old Harley stuff. In the pile was the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner 32107-01c.

Does one replace the other, or do these work in conjunction with each other.

I'm guessing it's one or the other, and that the SE tuner actually reprograms the ecm? Where the Power commander just modifies the information coming in and out of it.

Thanks in advance!!!

Here's my baby! Oh, and it has 72900 miles on it now and runs like a top. Pops on down shifting, but lots of power all the way through.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:51 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Nice bike. you are correct, it's one or the other. the race tuner re-MAPs the ECM on the bike whereas the PCIII works as an addon. Here's the main thing though, if the race tuner has ever been used on a bike it cannot be used on another bike, it will actually "marry" itself to the bike the first time it's used. So the thing is pretty much worthless to anyone except the person that owns the bike that it is "married" too.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Rad10
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Well that kinda sucks! My friend had something like this for his Mustang, and you could only use it on 1 vehicle at a time. It pulled the stock map, let you mod and flash a new one. Then when he sold the car, it just pulled the modified map, and inserted the original one again. I thought that was fair considering the investment.

I'm not sure if this one has ever been used, and I can't use it on my bike. I was going to give it to one of my friends, or ebay it... Is there any way to tell?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:10 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

You'd have to purchase the software and cables and hook it up to a bike, or take it to someone who has the software and cables. If the box has been opened chances are it's been used. Not to mention that people don't usually spend that kind of money for something they don't use. Be carefull if you try to sell it on e-bay, make certain you describe it and how you got it. If someone buys it and then finds out it's been married to another bike you'll get negative feedback for sure.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:00 AM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im looking for cables ,if you want to sell them pm me

Old 03-18-2012, 02:58 AM
jbert
Stage I

In my opinion it is complete BULLSHIT that Harley charges you for this software, and that's all that the SERT is, software. Then you have to have it dyno tuned by a pro anyway to get your bike running right. ALL HARLEY DEALERSHIPS SHOULD HAVE THE SERT SOFTWARE. PERIOD. It is their product. I can understand having to pay if you want to take it home with you and play on your own, hence the "marrying", but thats not what most people do. If you are having your bike tuned at the dealer, you should be paying for dyno time and tech labor, you shouldn't have to buy some software package they already have so they can talk to the ECU THEY MADE. Just my 2c

Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 AM
abners
2nd Gear

good luck to you!

Old 03-18-2012, 01:53 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jbert
In my opinion it is complete BULLSHIT that Harley charges you for this software, and that's all that the SERT is, software. Then you have to have it dyno tuned by a pro anyway to get your bike running right. ALL HARLEY DEALERSHIPS SHOULD HAVE THE SERT SOFTWARE. PERIOD. It is their product. I can understand having to pay if you want to take it home with you and play on your own, hence the "marrying", but thats not what most people do. If you are having your bike tuned at the dealer, you should be paying for dyno time and tech labor, you shouldn't have to buy some software package they already have so they can talk to the ECU THEY MADE. Just my 2c
The SERT isn't software. It's hardware. It's a little box that hooks up between the computer and the ECM. You do take it home with you and if you get the software and the cables you can play with it all you want at home.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Denman0621
Intermediate

Originally Posted by harleytuner
The SERT isn't software. It's hardware. It's a little box that hooks up between the computer and the ECM. You do take it home with you and if you get the software and the cables you can play with it all you want at home.
I'm just wondering if there's an advantage to actually getting something like the SERT or buying the Powervision... It seems like they both do the same thing, but unless I'm missing something, I believe you can use the Powervision on more than one bike.

Den

Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jbert
Wow, very first post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screaming Eagle Race Tuner vs. USB III Power Commander