Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 harley davidson ultra electra glide classic problems

Old 06-29-2011, 09:39 PM
tmartin104
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 harley davidson ultra electra glide classic problems

over the past few months my bike has starting to act up. today i had my bike out and here is what i have all noticed...
My RPM TACK, IS working but my SPEEDOMETER is not working,

my Cruise controll will not work,

My engine warning light is on,

my Engine will back fire of and off a few times,

When im at a traffic light and let of the gas sometimes my bike will shut off or even sometimes when im just drifting down a hill it will shut off on me

What could be some things to try to fix are Harley without taking it to the shop, we can't afford a big Repair Bill at this time,

any Ideas or good websites on harley trouble shooting will be a big help.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Speed sensor? Crank position sensor? Just thinking out loud.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:48 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Pull the codes on it. Another thought would be replace the fuel filter...

Old 06-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Keefersan
Advanced

Had the exact problem with my '03. My problem was the Speed Sensor. You can try cleaning it (sometimes picks up filings) or have it replaced. I ended up having it replaced and it resolved all of the issues you described.

Your self-canceling turn signals probable don't self-cancel either...

Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tmartin104

my Cruise controll will not work,

My engine warning light is on,

When im at a traffic light and let of the gas sometimes my bike will shut off or even sometimes when im just drifting down a hill it will shut off on me
My RKC is a 2002 and I went through the exact same thing two years ago and it turned out to be the speed sensor. The dealer cleaned it the first time but the problem resurfaced a couple weeks later. It was replaced (I wasn't charged for the labor since the first fix didn't work) and my bike has been fine ever since. As I recall the change didn't cost a lot. BTW, this problem doesn't seem to be so unusual...other owners report similar problems on theirs.

Ride safe.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:38 AM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on speed sensor

Old 06-26-2014, 07:45 PM
spagettifarmer
Stage II
Default Missing Badly

My 2002 Ultra Glide started missing during acceleration and continusly got worse till i noticed the voltage was down to 10 volts. I checked out and found a bad stator. I replaced the stator and the missing is really bad. Any ideas out there

Old 06-26-2014, 08:33 PM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar problem on my 2001 Electra Glide last year. It turned out that one of the Molex wire plugs inside of the fairing had corroded, giving a bad connection to the speed sensor. I pulled the fairing and cleaned every electrical connection with electrical contact cleaner. That fixed it.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by spagettifarmer
My 2002 Ultra Glide started missing during acceleration and continusly got worse till i noticed the voltage was down to 10 volts. I checked out and found a bad stator. I replaced the stator and the missing is really bad. Any ideas out there
Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. You should have started a new thread, rather than posting in this one, as your problem is different. First check your charging system, to identify any problems there. Go to the Tech Electrical section and you will find a couple of helpful Stickies with instructions. You will need a multimeter.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:35 PM
W3BY
Stage II
Default Speed Sensor

I know I am new here but want to share my experience so far. I installed new handlebars and a few other modifications to my 2003 FLHTCUI Shrine Edition and started having electrical problems shortly thereafter. First major problem was the charging system stopped working. I replaced it with a 3 phase 50 amp system and it is fine now... BTW the rotor magnets had moved on original rotor and was only getting one pulse per revolution... So the new issue is with the speedometer being intermittent , I notice it dropping in and out and the odometer stops recording too. I just cleaned the VSS today and will test it out.

The other issue with cruise control may not be related but could be... I may have a short in right handlebar controls. I need to trouble shoot this, my radio blanks out (total loss of power to it), cruise don't work but everything else seems to be ok. I loosened right side controls today and I will pull faring to get to the pins and take readings to see if I can isolate the cause. I despise wiring troubles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 harley davidson ultra electra glide classic problems