EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Help with the right cam for an 80" Evo?

Old 06-22-2011, 06:55 PM
customclimates
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with the right cam for an 80" Evo?

I have a 97 Electra Glide Ultra Classic. The bike is heavy at about 900 lbs. (24,000 miles) & mechanically sound. I am looking at Andrews cams for Torque at 1800 to 3000 rpms.
I'm not aggressive rider, shift at 3000 to 4000 rpm mostly, ride at75 mph on the highway and average speeds elsewhere. I do some two up riding with wife.
I am not looking to do head work at this time. Just a cam & pushrods but I do want something I am going to feel in the seat of the pants and not just see on a dyno graph. Bike does have S&S power tour slip ons and a screamin eagle stage 1 kit installed already.
Any recommendations would be great … also looking into some of the S&S cams?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:01 PM
customclimates
Cruiser

Andrews EV27 Camshaft?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:04 PM
customclimates
Cruiser

S&S Cycle 600 Camshaft? My head is spinning ..... way too many options!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:21 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I put an EV 27 in mine and it was like a new bike. I am like you in that I am not a hotrodder but this cam gave me the power I wanted when I wanted it. I hear a EV 13 is also a good choice but I don't know. While you are in there you want to make sure you have a torrington cam bearing.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 352 Posts

I have only had two cams in any Evo I have ever owned so I am no expert by any means, but the EV27 I had installed recently makes a lot more power than stock and sounds freakin' awesome with the drag pipes barking.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:13 PM
roadhog96
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know this subject has been coming up for years. The majority will say EV-27 because it's a great bolt in cam for easy quick performance. It will lower the static compression a little. The cam will perform much better than stock but never really reach full potential unless you increase compression.

Baggers usually don't hot rod around like the lighter bikes because of the weight factor and handling characteristics. They are big sleds that just putt and need Torque in the lower RPM ranges to get them moving. The EV-13 does just that. The two cams are very similar in performance only the EV-13 comes on a little sooner and finishes sooner. So if your not running the RPM's up all the time then the cam that gives the gain in the lower ranges is what you should choose. The EV-13 also helps the EVO to run cooler because of the exhaust valve timing. The EV-27 will out perform the EV-13 just a little but you have to get on the bike to notice the gain, is this how you want to ride. If you ride 75-85 on the highway then go with the EV-27, if not go with the EV-13, it's meant for Baggers that ride two up, loaded down with gear and sometimes pulling a side hack.

Also remember a bagger has lower gearing than EVO Softails. If you put a EV-13 in a Bagger and a EV-27 in a Softail and all other things are equal, the Bagger will pull away from the Softail. The Softail will walk the Bagger at 75+.

The EV-27 utilizes steeper ramps so the valves are more noisier than the EV-13.

Remember the Pass A Truck Kit by Mikuni years ago? Joe Minton is a long-time Harley guru who developed the EV13 cam specifically for Mikuni's "Pass a Truck" kit.

At the time, Harley was selling a Screamin' Eagle kit with a racing cam included for the rider who wanted a little more oomph, especially those on baggers with a 180lb old lady on the back, who wanted to be able to zip around 18 wheelers without a lot of effort. The riders who bought Harley's kit found they had to downshift anytime they wanted instant power, even at highway speeds, and that they'd spent all that money to end up with a bike that was even worse than the stock setup for the way they rode.

The reason he didn't use any other existing cam at the time (1987) was because they all closed the intake too late for a rider to be "on the the cam" at lower rpm (2000 to 3000rpm). Minton found that any cam that closes the intake later than 34 degrees ABDC does not make good low end torque. And I believe that is true. But reasonable people can disagree, right?

I'm not saying the 27 isn't a good cam. Lots of guys love it, and it does make reasonable enough power below 3000 to be a good everyday cam. But it's a compromise for the guy who wants a racy cam without losing the ability to cruise around town in a relaxed way. If you don't care about racing, the EV13 is the better low end cam.

Some helpful information from one of the best performance sites on the web; http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdstage2.htm
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/selectcam.htm

Last edited by roadhog96; 08-28-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
The following users liked this post:
ieatchickens (03-09-2019)
Old 06-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 429 Likes on 247 Posts

I have ridden an ElectraGlide with sidecar and it had the RumbleSticks version of the EV13.....awesome cam for heavy bikes, very, very torquey low down and still cruised at 90mph :-)

Old 06-23-2011, 03:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I fitted an EV27 in my FLHS during its early life and was very pleased with it. I must admit if I was going to fit a cam today I would probably chose an EV13. Difficult choice, but I'm sure you will be pleased with either of them. They both get plenty of support here!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:42 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Roadhog gave you the explanation you need, whether it's the one you want is up to you. Everything he said was/is dead on. So keep your cam choice timing in those ranges and you will be happy. As stated the cams with high lift have faster/steeper rams to get that lift and usually will make more power at the cost of more noise.
I am a Woods 6 series cam fan even though they make a little noise they outperform the others we have tried. Any other cam that comes close to them is as noisy as they are. Is you have a fairing you will notice the noise more than if you didn't have one. If you decide to go with a higher lift cam you will need to check all clearance in the valve train. You will also need to clean the valve stems and install new seals. Failure to do this will cause the seals to leak as the part of the stem that normally didn't get wiped by the seal has some varnish/gunk build up that the old seal won't like. Hope this helps.

Last edited by miacycles; 06-23-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:38 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
I have ridden an ElectraGlide with sidecar and it had the RumbleSticks version of the EV13.....awesome cam for heavy bikes, very, very torquey low down and still cruised at 90mph :-)
I have the HeadQuarters rumble stick in my stock motor and it pulls hard when you want it. And I can't say it makes any more noise than the stock cam did.

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 06-23-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with the right cam for an 80" Evo?