General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Outlaw Brand Helmet DOT review

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:29 AM
fastalkintn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Outlaw Brand Helmet DOT review

With all the talk here lately about "which half helmet should I buy" I thought I would review my new Outlaw brand DOT half helmet. I had been everywhere trying to find a half helmet that fit my head and could not find one in any of the shops so I decided to order one and "customize" it. I decided on the Outlaw brand based on price and the fact that leatherup.com allows for helmet returns without a restocking fee. Brands I had looked at include Daytona, HJC, Vega, Fulmar, skid lidz, and a few others, all of which are in the $50 and up price range.

I ordered it from leatherup.com which was an easy transaction. Not great but not bad, kind of down the middle. I did find out that if you put something in your shopping cart and let it set there for a few days they will email you a coupon to help you make your mind up. Anyway on to the helmet.

Total cost was under $40, I can't remember how much shipping was. The helmet was $29.99. My first impression when I opened the box was suprise. This is a really nice helmet and compares or surpasses in quality and size to any of the brands mentioned above. I used the size chart on the web site and it suggested a medium and this was a very good fit for me. It was a little narrow so I took a die grinder bit in my drill and took off about 1/16 of an inch from the Styrofoam and it now fits perfect. This is a DOT helmet so it does still have a little of the mushroom look, but no DOT helmet is going to look like a skull cap. A lot of people talk about the Daytona brand helmet being a very low profile helmet and I would say the Outlaw brand is very close in comparison. I do not know the weight of this helmet but it feels very light while wearing it. The only negative I have found with it is that the straps are very wide at the attachment point with the helmet. I was afraid this might cause wind noise but while riding I didn't notice any.

Riding with this helmet is a great improvement over my HD brand half helmet. It feels much more stable, is more quiet, lighter, and has less wind buffeting.

All in all I would rate it a 9 on a 1/10 scale. I am very happy with my purchase and if something happened to this one I would not hesitate to order another.

Here are a couple of pics, don't laugh its hard to take pics of yourself and not look stupid doing it.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

That looks good. The carbon fiber one, which is more than twice the price, weighs a lot less, but probably still has the same profile. I think that it's excellent that helmet manufacturers are now making an effort to do right by us. Better protection for around the same price. No more hassles from the law. I am going to be ordering one soon. Even though there is no helmet law here. I'd rather ride with one, but only if it fits the criteria, and that looks like it does.

Props to Outlaw for an excellent product.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:59 AM
rmarino14
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, thanks for the review. Do you have a model number for the helmet?

Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The helmet itself looks like a real good fit. I just don't like how those wide straps look.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:20 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Helmet looks good, straps not so much. They look huge and like they'll be super warm when it gets hot.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:27 PM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,963 Likes on 1,203 Posts

If you thumb through these pictures the Ultra-Low profile Carbon appears to have a thinner liner and also dosent have the covered straps. You have to click multi-view to get pictures of the underside. Mine will be here Wed. and hope it will replace my HCI and Voss novelty.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:59 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

I got the same helmet a couple weeks ago. Not bad for $29. Mine doesn't look as low profile as yours because I have a long skinny face so every helmet kind of sticks out on the sides. But it's the lowest profile DOT helmet I've seen.

I had a lot of trouble with the D-rings. I just couldn't get the straps tight so the helmet would move at high speeds. I bought a quik-release kit at the Harley dealer (a $10 rip-off but it was there and convenient) and that fixed the problem right up. Fits nice and tight and doesn't budge even at highway speeds+.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by nferr
I got the same helmet a couple weeks ago. Not bad for $29. Mine doesn't look as low profile as yours because I have a long skinny face so every helmet kind of sticks out on the sides. But it's the lowest profile DOT helmet I've seen.

I had a lot of trouble with the D-rings. I just couldn't get the straps tight so the helmet would move at high speeds. I bought a quik-release kit at the Harley dealer (a $10 rip-off but it was there and convenient) and that fixed the problem right up. Fits nice and tight and doesn't budge even at highway speeds+.
The strap/D ring combo sucks on that helmet. I couldn't get mine to slip through either &I sent it back. I'm not a quick release fan either but it's a must for that helmet.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:22 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,395 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
The strap/D ring combo sucks on that helmet. I couldn't get mine to slip through either &I sent it back. I'm not a quick release fan either but it's a must for that helmet.
It does get better with wear, but it was a p.i.t.a at first. Other than that I think it;s a good helmet.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:37 PM
SJ58
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that same helmet. Fits my XL head like a glove and is very comfortable, even on warm days. The strap was kind of hard to fasten through the D-rings at first, but is much easier after a month of use. Mine looks a little larger on my head than the OP's images show.

Great helmet for the price.

Quick Reply: My Outlaw Brand Helmet DOT review