Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 883 Signal lights

Old 04-25-2011, 11:51 AM
bigsprocket
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 883 Signal lights

Hello all...I just bought my first harley last month and am having some signal light problems...First off I put new bars on an had to extend the wires from my controls which went well ...but after my last drive I noticed when I turn on my left signal light the front will get a very dim slow flash and the rear never completly turns off in between flashing its like its holding power or robbing from the front so I checked all my wires that i extended all seem fine. then i noticed some bare wire that must have touched the rear tire that go to my promblem rear left signal light I fixed the wires but promblem still there . Could these bare wires have shorted somthing out then I am not covering? Thank you for any help in advance...all bulbs are good

Old 04-25-2011, 12:29 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem you are describing, sound like a ground problem. I don't have a wiring diagram for a 2000 XL. Always start with the simple. Make sure the ground connections are clean and tight. There are 3 of them; the battery, the frame, and next to the starter.On newer model XL's the signals have 2 wires, purple=power, black=ground. Make sure the ground wire has not been damaged. If the lights do not have a ground wire, make sure the metal they are attached to is clean and not painted(paint will not conduct electricity). Check were the turn signals connect to the harness. Make sure the plug and sockets are clean and free of corrosion (green or white color). If your bike is equipped with a mechanical signal flasher, it may need replacing. I hope this helps.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:42 PM
surazal54
Cruiser
Default problem

has a similar problem with my 2003 previous owner ahd put a new sissy bar on and so removed the rear turn signals ... when he put them back they were haning loose across the tire ... which wore through both sets ... and were intermitantly shorting againt the fender and them sleves .. so so new wiring and remembering to put them behind the retainer clips ... certainly as a designer not where I would run the wires ... it seems the last 6 bikes I owned the wires were always on the outside of the fenders away from all the water and rocks thrown up but the rear tires ... gee what a thought will HD ever think of it ? not likely ... just like they never read these forums and learn what owners really want in a bike ... any way good luck ...

Old 04-26-2011, 11:02 AM
bigsprocket
Stage III

Thank you for the response wraith.....I did find a bad ground wire like you suggested...it was under my gas tank had a bad connection...Thanks again love the harley spend last 7 years riding sportbikes and motards...the sportster seems like a nice change....