Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gel seat or sheepskin leather?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:01 PM
ehans
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gel seat or sheepskin leather?

I have a FLHRC with a sundowner seat. I am only good in the saddle for about 90 minutes before I want to get off and walk around for a bit to rest by butt bones. I think this is called butt burn, right? Even though it has nothing to do with temps.

I am looking at gel seats and sheepskin covers. Gel bothers me just a bit because my seat height is perfect and being raised up another inch gives me pause.

Any thoughts? Anyone used both? I am especially interested to hear from those that have used both and settled on one or the other.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:44 PM
donf610
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you, love my seat height but comfort is not the best after an hour. I've seen guys run the sheepskin before and was curious how well they worked. Also where do you get them.?

Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I always thought that sheepskin was mainly good for temperature control.

I use a gel pad for longer runs. It helps absord the vibrations and takes the weight off the pressure points.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 PM
dan11809
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with a C&C seat with gel and I made the right choice for me. In my opinion dump the stock seat.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dan11809
I went with a C&C seat with gel and I made the right choice for me. In my opinion dump the stock seat.
+1 ehans, I see your in O.C. CA, you might want to take a ride to Paramount and talk to Chuck or Chuy at C&C seats. They may be able to inlay gel in the foam of your Sundowner.(?) If not you can at least try a couple of their stock seats on your bike. Great guys and will help you out if they can.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:41 PM
hyfly1
Cruiser

I really like the Airhawk inflatable cushion. I can ride all day without any discomfort. Once I got the inflation adjusted right (you only need a little bit or air in it) I haven't had to do anything to it in three seasons of riding.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:53 PM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried an Air Hawk and sent it back,kinda like sitting on bubble wrap to me!
I use a Sheep skin that works pretty well! My bony butt won't take many miles or hours anymore! alaskaleather.com has the best deals that I found.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:52 PM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used on several of my bikes the Aerostich Sheepskin Saddle Pad for $62, the tapered one. I think I paid a lot less for it, but that was years ago. For me its cool in hot summer days (at least way cooler than stock seat cover), it's warm and great in winter, and it doesn't add any additional height to bike seat, plus from what I can tell, it doesn't wear out. It's messy if it gets wet so I don't leave it out or use it on rainy days. I have the square one for my wife.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:34 PM
twally
Advanced

Love my sheepskin. Love in the heat, love it in the cold.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM
RGfan
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used both. The sheep skin is great for cooler in summer and warmer in winter, but not much extra padding.
Be careful with gel pads, they are not for everyone. I've heard reviews on both sides; you either love the gel or hate it. I tried a gel pad on a stock seat, and it felt harder and more uncomfortable than the stock seat! My opinion only.
I am a fan of the Airhawk....very comfortable when properly inflated.

Quick Reply: Gel seat or sheepskin leather?