Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raked triple tree for my Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:30 PM
dynamiamiflo
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raked triple tree for my Dyna?

Hey all, newbie on the forum and I have a question I was hoping y'all could help me with. I am in the process of changing my triple tree on my Dyna superglide 1998 as I am looking to chrome out my whole front end, plus I like the bottom mounted headlights better. I found at Heawinds exactly what I am looking for in a standard chrome triple tree kit and they also sell a 4 degree and 6 degree raked version.

I really like the raked out look and this would be an easy and cheap way to add some rake on my front end, but I have some questions. Will say raking it out 4 or 6 degrees change significantly the handling of my bike? Will it affect the trail on my bike so that it will make it either dangerous or at least more difficult to handle and steer? I ofcourse could just get the standard triple tree with no rake, but I really would like to rake it out a bit. Any thoughts/comments would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Jeremy

Old 03-30-2011, 05:49 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Why not just find a take-off WG front end from that same era.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Here is a pic of mine with a Softail WG front end and 21 wheel , stock rake, handles great and no issues.Installed it this past winter.

Attached Thumbnails Raked triple tree for my Dyna?-img_0337.jpg  
Old 03-30-2011, 06:01 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

If memory serves me, a 6 degree rake triple tree would equal the wide glide front end, the older Dyna's had a 28 degree frame, the WG had a 32 degree frame and 2 degree trees.
I don't think that would be a problem for you handling wise, but you might want to add 2 - 4" to keep it near level.
You really need to do some calcs. I don't have the link handy, but google "Rake and Trail Calculator" and play with the numbers to see what it gives you.
The site has some good info about making changes.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 AM
dynamiamiflo
Advanced

thanks all, I appreciate the comments. I did google the calculation you mentioned, found it at: http://www.scootersperformance.com/t...ake_trail.html

However, I am not so savy to get the accurate reading/calculation so I was just wondering if anyone had any experience here in raking out their triple trees to say 4 or 6 degrees. If I am only changing the triple tree to say 4 or 6 degrees, would it be the same as simply changing my front end to say a wide glide? does anyone know what the triple tree rake (not the neck rake) of a wide glide is? Is the only difference on the wide glide vs the super glide the width and rake on the front end/triple tree? Sorry to sound so dumb, just wanted to get some feedback for this. Thanks all.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dynamiamiflo
thanks all, I appreciate the comments. I did google the calculation you mentioned, found it at: http://www.scootersperformance.com/t...ake_trail.html

However, I am not so savy to get the accurate reading/calculation so I was just wondering if anyone had any experience here in raking out their triple trees to say 4 or 6 degrees. If I am only changing the triple tree to say 4 or 6 degrees, would it be the same as simply changing my front end to say a wide glide? does anyone know what the triple tree rake (not the neck rake) of a wide glide is? Is the only difference on the wide glide vs the super glide the width and rake on the front end/triple tree? Sorry to sound so dumb, just wanted to get some feedback for this. Thanks all.
In my earlier post I gave you the rake, WG is 2 degrees in the trees.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 AM
dynamiamiflo
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8541hog
In my earlier post I gave you the rake, WG is 2 degrees in the trees.
Yes, got it now. Talked to my mechanic, he seems to think it might be best to leave the rake as is as it might change the handling, but he is doing the calculations to see if a 4 degree rake could be possible. thanks for the insight all.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:23 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Rake

Stay with the stock rake as changing it can lead to lots of unforeseeable problems.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM
jordanball33
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id say get some wide glide trees, axle and new spacers and a 21 would make a huge difference. all that crazy raking can look really funny on a dyna. the wideglide front end looks good. and i can vouch that it still rides great.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:45 AM
dynamiamiflo
Advanced

Originally Posted by ******ball33
id say get some wide glide trees, axle and new spacers and a 21 would make a huge difference. all that crazy raking can look really funny on a dyna. the wideglide front end looks good. and i can vouch that it still rides great.
thanks ******, that is a good idea and I think someone else mentioned that. I really would like the look of that. Its always the case isn't it, you want to make a small, decent change or customization, before you know it your going ***** out way over budget but can't wait to get it done!!!

Quick Reply: Raked triple tree for my Dyna?