Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

anyone here have an 89 FXR with a springer?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:50 PM
johnny q
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone here have an 89 FXR with a springer?

Hi Guys - I have an 89 FXR Superglide with stock forks. I was toying with the idea of adding a springer (my friends are trying to talk me out of it). Anyway, would anyone here happen to have such a bike ? I'd like to see a pic, if someone here has such a combination - thanks in advance - JQ

Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts

If you go with a springer your probably looking at a custom made one. I have an 87 FXR and the neck is 3/8's of an inch smaller than a softail since the FXR uses internal bearings and races and not bearing cups like a softail. I'm not sure if a springer for a sportster might work but they are usually a narrow glide front end. I was able to cut the pivot bolt down on a lathe and move the lower tree up to make the inverted front end work on my 87 but I don't know if you have that adjustment on a springer. Good luck with you project.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:04 AM
deadcenter20031
Novice

I got my hands on a used factory springer front end and the thing works PERFECTLY on my FXSTC. No mods needed. Just adjust and go. Some people dont like springers, but if you adjust them right, you can get all the performance out of them that you can out of hydraulic forks, and you dont have to worry about leaky seals.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:43 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by deadcenter20031
I got my hands on a used factory springer front end and the thing works PERFECTLY on my FXSTC. No mods needed. Just adjust and go. Some people dont like springers, but if you adjust them right, you can get all the performance out of them that you can out of hydraulic forks, and you dont have to worry about leaky seals.
There's a big difference in the frames between a softail and an FXR. They both use a 1" bolt thru the neck but a Softail neck is longer (about 3/8") than the one on the FXR and where the softails have external bearing cups the FXR's use internal races and bearings.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:07 PM
deadcenter20031
Novice

Thx for the info. Is the neck difference the same for all dyna models?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:34 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by deadcenter20031
Thx for the info. Is the neck difference the same for all dyna models?
The Dyna is a different bike than an FXR, the FXR is the precursor to the Dyna. They lump them together because they both have external shocks. They are totally different frames.

I do know that a newer dyna has a longer neck than a Softail. There is more distance between the trees on a dyna.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:37 PM
deadcenter20031
Novice

Right on. Even us "old" wrench turners learn a new thing or two every day when we are working on bikes. Looks like I got my dose of knowledge for today. LOL. But in my defense, most of my work comes from Jap bikes so thats where I do most of my research. Guess I will have to re-open my bag of humility and get ready to do some more learning.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:47 PM
johnny q
2nd Gear

thanks for all the info so far guys - hey dead center, the bike shown in your post - that wouldn't be an fxr, would it ?

If I ever wanted to order a springer, could I somehow order a new dna chrome springer with a fender and front brake mount, and order all this so that it fits my bike ? jq

Old 04-03-2011, 10:05 PM
deadcenter20031
Novice

Originally Posted by johnny q
thanks for all the info so far guys - hey dead center, the bike shown in your post - that wouldn't be an fxr, would it ?

If I ever wanted to order a springer, could I somehow order a new dna chrome springer with a fender and front brake mount, and order all this so that it fits my bike ? jq
Sorry man, its not. Its a FXSTC. I gues thats why the factory springer front end bolted up so nicely to it. LOL. As far as ordering a dyna springer, you need to figure out your neck length and bearing type. If its a cup style you will have to get the softail style springer, if its solid race style you will have to get they dyna type as the other guy said. And you will have to make sure the neck length measures up. They definitely make one that will fit your bike. I wish I could hand you the answer, But Im just now starting to do the research on all the different aspects of harley makes and models. Basically all I can tell you is to figure out what you need and start looking at springers that have the right measurements. You might call a parts dealer and ask them what models they have that will fit your bike and check them out. I think that would be the easiest way to go. Hope this advice helps a little. Let me know what you figure out.