Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD 103" Pro Stage IV Kit ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:21 PM
RaginBull
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 103" Stroke vs 113" CAM Advice

I am doing something similar to my 2008 Street Glide. After careful consideration, over a year's worth, and research it seems that the 103" build would be the best bang for the buck. The 113" would cost me an additional $1,400 and it seems the power difference is all but maybe 10HP/11tq. Actually, I think that before I go with a 113" I think I would be better off replacing the engine with Harley's 120R which only costs $2,000 more than the 113" build and actually delivers in the mid 120's in HP and Torque. So since this is not an option right now, the conflict I have is if the 259E CAMs are the best choice as recommended by the dealer. The kit includes 259E CAMs, SE heads, pistons, high-flow fuel injectors, race tuner, etc...

Does anyone know the difference in performance between a bike with just the 255 CAMs installed and original heads and lets say one with the full 103" build as I stated above with the 259E CAMs? Meaning performance wise.... Considering that from what I have read the 255 CAMs are the best for Torque and low end, would that mean that someone with just a CAM install and stock heads perform as well or better than a bike with the full 103" build as listed above from light to light, for example? 'Cause if that is the case, what would be the point of upgrading?

Any advice or comments from previous experience welcome!

Thanks

Last edited by RaginBull; 02-03-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:28 PM
jimglassford
Tourer
Received 195 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Octane

With all of these built engines running 10 1/2 to 1 compression, is the 91 octane gas at the pump adequate?

Old 02-03-2012, 05:03 PM
gliding10
Cruiser

I have the stage IV kit from the dealer. At first had an installation problem and over that now. I love the kit. My bike just keeps pullin when I crack the throttle. I cruise at 85 cause jersey is nuts and nobody respects motorcycles around here but when I need to get away from the cagers she is like a silver back gorilla. I dynoed the bike at a local shop and they set it up for me and dyno numbers were 112hp and 114tq. I'm very happy with the kit good luck.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 PM
mjsawatzky
Road Captain

Originally Posted by gliding10
I have the stage IV kit from the dealer. At first had an installation problem and over that now. I love the kit. My bike just keeps pullin when I crack the throttle. I cruise at 85 cause jersey is nuts and nobody respects motorcycles around here but when I need to get away from the cagers she is like a silver back gorilla. I dynoed the bike at a local shop and they set it up for me and dyno numbers were 112hp and 114tq. I'm very happy with the kit good luck.
What cam you running?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:22 AM
tem2169
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjsawatzky
So I had my heart dead set on a 107 kit. With limited builders in my neck of the woods who have experience with this kit my dream started getting pretty complicated and costly to send heads and cylinders etc down to the US for boring and tweaking. Not to mention finding someone to install parts that were purchased elsewhere. Anyway I was a little frustrated with the realization that if I couldn't do this 107 myself it wasn't going to happen. So today I'm in the dealer poking around. We get chatting about service and performance etc. Well it turns out there are specials on all performance work if done before March 15th. Bottom line is I can get a hell of a deal on a 103" Pro Stage IV w/110+ heads & 260 cams.

Here are my questions....I've done some research on the 260's and they seem to come on a little late. Especially for a touring bike. Is there anything I can do to shift that torque curve over to the left a bit using this same cam? Is the 259E a better choice? Should I upgrade from the 110+ heads to the MVA heads? This kit does not include lifters...Is it suggested that I spring for the SE lifters? Obviously I am not a wizard when it comes to this stuff so your input is appreciated.

Here are the specs for the kit

screamin’ eagLe® Pro stage iV Kit – 103 cubic inches Here’s a 103 cubic inch racing kit that puts it all together for you. If your looking to build a fast, track-ready, 103 kit and want to buy all the components you need to maximize your results, here’s the kit! this eliminates the guess work on what components you should use and what works well together. We’ve put all the components together including Se perfor- mance heads that provide a great performance upgrade for a 103ci at a very attractive price. Kit includes our high- performance / high-flow Screamin’ eagle® Performance 110+ Heads which include large intake valves at 2.120" diam- eter (our biggest ever), high-compression forged aluminum 10.5:1 pistons matched to the 110+ heads, an Se260 cam to open the valves appropriately, allowing the right balance of air and fuel to enter, Perfect-Fit Pushrods to accommodate the higher cam lift, a 58mm eFI throttle body to get that air flow to the heads, big 3-7/8" diameter highlighted cylinders, then topping off this kit off with a “must have” Super tuner to provide the right tuning capabilities. Kit includes gaskets. for race application only.
I just had the the Stage IV done, but the kit you are talking about is an older version of the Stage IV kit. They are not using the MVA heads in the kit anymore. It includes the CNC Ported Factory Heads and the 259E cam now. I'm still breaking it in but it seems to be very responsive and has gobs of power. I'll get it Dyno'ed after the break-in.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:48 PM
timmyd
Advanced
Default SE 103 Stage IV

I bought an '09 SG last summer w/this kit in it. I love the power (105hp/104tq) and still gets 40mpg. Wondering what is the next step in performance is w/o and I say WITH OUT going to the 110 or bigger... ?? The bike has 7900mi on it the 103 kit has about 5000mi or so on it, it does have a little chatter in the rocker boxes, wondering if adjustable pushrods and roller rockers would be a good investment... looking for opinions.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:07 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyd
I bought an '09 SG last summer w/this kit in it. I love the power (105hp/104tq) and still gets 40mpg. Wondering what is the next step in performance is w/o and I say WITH OUT going to the 110 or bigger... ?? The bike has 7900mi on it the 103 kit has about 5000mi or so on it, it does have a little chatter in the rocker boxes, wondering if adjustable pushrods and roller rockers would be a good investment... looking for opinions.
What cams, what compression, what heads,what head gasket, what throttle body was used? What is your cranking pressure now? Your elevation? Dyno tuned or just a downloaded map and then dyno checked for horsepower? Those kits had at least 2 different versions and some guys did trade parts out from the kit and used different se parts at no charge if the dealer was agreeable to the swap. A 31 or 30 trans pulley should pep it up as well.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:09 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by tem2169
I just had the the Stage IV done, but the kit you are talking about is an older version of the Stage IV kit. They are not using the MVA heads in the kit anymore. It includes the CNC Ported Factory Heads and the 259E cam now. I'm still breaking it in but it seems to be very responsive and has gobs of power. I'll get it Dyno'ed after the break-in.
They never used the MVA heads in a 103" kit, they used the 110+ heads, the unported version of the MVA.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:13 AM
mtnbikerx
Tourer

WTF is going on w the Stage IV EFI kit availability? Had one ordered since March.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:45 AM
petewerner
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mtnbikerx
WTF is going on w the Stage IV EFI kit availability? Had one ordered since March.
Back ordered until 6/15/2012, unless they are still running behind on the 58 mm throttle body, if so there will be another shipping date extension...

Quick Reply: HD 103" Pro Stage IV Kit ??