General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checked with a few Dealers on the cost of a 10,000 mile service. What a price range!

Old 01-21-2011, 05:22 AM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Checked with a few Dealers on the cost of a 10,000 mile service. What a price range!

10,000 miles is coming up fast on my '09 Fatboy.

Called a few Dealers in my area for their price on the recommended service:

The "Ferman Boys" (a big car dealer that owns 3 HD stores near me) handed me a sheet at their Gulf Coast location that has about 25 things listed on it (that the service includes).

Some of the stuff (like cruise control adjustment) isn't even on the bike!
Their price $499!

Fletcher's came in at $341 (but I didn't get their sheet of what it includes)...

Crystal river said $380 something; when I asked about how long it would take (because it's a 60 mile ride up there for me) the Tech said just a couple of hours and I am welcome to wait for it... Interesting since the other guys want the bike for the day.

Still trying to decide. An independent I know want $399 (but like some of the others he is a bit unclear as to exactly what he would be doing, no list).

I know the oil, spark plugs, air filter are key, but even I could do that (mechanically challenged as I am). The Gulf Coast guys have stuff listed on their sheet just to make the list longer: "check tires" and stuff takes 20 seconds and any Tech should tell you crap like "you need a front tire soon" without beefing up a service list to do so...

Can the inexperienced mechanic do what's needed with some help (maybe a service manual from Ebay?

Any real costly tools that you have to have?
Thoughts (not butt head remarks please)?

Old 01-21-2011, 05:32 AM
soulpony
Road Captain

Dealer service is spendy, coming up on my 1K service, 329 at the dealer, it will be the only scheduled service they will so, already have the service manual and will do my own after that. Just letting them do the first one as I want to make sure the bike broke in well and is good for the road. Taking the check list for service out of the manual with me to make sure they check all the recommended items. Warranty thing.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:53 AM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser

Me being out of warranty is part of the issue... If the bike was still under warranty I would be more comfortable with the knowledge that if they find something it's because it's there. W/out the warranty I see the service dept. under pressure to "Bill" just like most business is under these days; and w/out the warranty it's coming out of my pocket.
I see/feel no issues with the bike, it rides perfect. I am thinking I will just change the plugs and fluids myself??? Maybe P/U a service manual off Ebay...

Old 01-21-2011, 06:11 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get you a service manual and read it like a preacher would read a bible.It'll save you tons of money.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:54 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

I agree, spend the mney on the service manual, it lists all the scheduled services in it and tells you what they include. And you can look up how to do them. 10K isn't a very tough job. Internal clutch adjustment would be one of the more technical tasks but that is pretty simple. You'll want to lube your cables (clutch and throttle). and check your "fall away" (neck bearing adjustment). You should be able to buy anything you need and still save some money from what the dealer wants. If you decide to give it a shout you always have the forum for support.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:58 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

I do my own. Not sure what you consider "special" tools. You need to be able to get the front off the ground (can be done with an inexpensive home made lift). Torque wrench.
Maybe an adapter for the grease gun (or replace the zerk on the steering head) some guys just skip that.

Spend money on the service and parts manual(s), supplies (oils, filters etc.) and whatever tools you don't already have. The big savings come the second time you use them.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Country Bumpkin
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'll buck the current view of this thread so far. Personally I would let the dealer do the 10,000 or 20,000 mile service while you do the 5,000 or 15,000 mile one. While I do all my own servicing, I know that not all people are comfortable or have the knowledge and tools to do it theirselves.

The 10,000 mile service covers alot more stuff than the others do. Do you know how to check the front end fall away and adjust it properly if it needs it? How about adjusting your clutch and brakes and lubing the cables? I go from one end of the bike to the other checking nuts and bolts at 10,000 miles.

If the dealer does everything that is supposed to be done at the 10,000 mile mark, then its not a bad price for piece of mind. If you can do it yourself then save the money and have at it. I like the feeling of knowing that everything on my bike is up to par because I checked everything myself and know it was done.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:22 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 783 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
I do my own. Not sure what you consider "special" tools. You need to be able to get the front off the ground (can be done with an inexpensive home made lift). Torque wrench.
Maybe an adapter for the grease gun (or replace the zerk on the steering head) some guys just skip that.

Spend money on the service and parts manual(s), supplies (oils, filters etc.) and whatever tools you don't already have. The big savings come the second time you use them.
I agree, even if you have zero tools you more than likely will break even on first service if you do it yourself (buy manual and take to kinko's have them cut binder, hole punch and place in 3 ring binder about $10) much easier to remove and copy pages required for service.
can even purchase some items thru harbor freight stores since delivery is not much and several magazines have 20% off coupons.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:32 AM
bigdady
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep do it your self a lot cheaper. i just did mine it cost$105.00
6qt syn-3 (allways buy a extra) 1qt redline shockproof 1 oil filter i gasket kit
change all fluids and adjust clutch. it took about a hour

Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dealer where I purchased my scoot is asking $850 for my 20,000 mile service which is coming up in a cuppla hundred miles...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Checked with a few Dealers on the cost of a 10,000 mile service. What a price range!