General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley to start Factory Custom Order Program

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:39 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like it's been said a lot the fun is customizing your Harley your self. Though I would take advantage of this offer if it saved me money. Like the seat or smoked signals, there something I'd want but I'm not gonna hate that I didn't add it on myself.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:17 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowRain
Don't know how this would be a marketing gimmick. I am sure that they have a set of options available...just like ordering a car with options you want. How is that a gimmick?
Every try to order a car with the "options you want"? You really can't just pick them. You want cruise control, you have to get power windows, and the fancy chrome trim. You don't want the fancy chrome trim, you can't get power windows or cruise control. Oh and you can't get the manual transmission if you want any options at all.
I actually had a truck ordered with extended cab, 8ft bed, A/C, and Cruise Control.
About the time the truck was supposed to be delivered I got a call. They wouldn't build it that way. I asked why and what had to be changed if I wanted an 8ft bed and extended cab. They told me that I would have buy a fully loaded truck (I could choose between cloth or leather interior).
There is a reason that on every model of car there are basically 2 or 3 choices of sets of options.
And what most of us think of as custom will never be built by a manufacturer that does mass production.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:48 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it said "custom" when you bought it, IMO, it ain't.

I'm a DIY'er.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Fossil
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the link provided. It did not say a thing about factory customizing. It said you can pick out a new model or the dealer will come to your home and trailer your old bike in where they will put the parts on you picked out. It is just their customization deal where you can build your own bike by computer and then get a print out of all the Harley only parts. Now the dealer will put them on and make sure the bike fits you. Unless you guys saw some thing different I did not see a real custom built at the factory. Years back the customer could order the standard color schemes, accessories like saddlebags and windshield. The customer could even go to the factory in Wisconsin and ride the bike back home.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:36 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

I'm going to the International Motorcycle Show here in Michigan this weekend. Maybe there will be some info there and I'll ask the sales person if they know anything. I'm seriously thinking about a new EG Ultra this spring so this may interest me. My personal opinion is the bike builder: You pick out chrome parts for your current or ordered bike and pay to have it installed by the dealership. Factory customization: You will probably have a choice of windscreen, seats, colors and a few other items installed by the factory if you order a new bike. If I get any details, I'll post here.

Last edited by barjbar; 01-05-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:56 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Here's my impression as I see it based on clicking on each button around the circle:

You will be able to order a custom from the factory;
You can consult with your dealer about available options for clarity;
You will be able to order stuff from the fit shop, P&A catalog etc.to have installed on your bike at the factory; and
there will be a software program to help you build your "dream bike" to take to the dealer to place your order.

Just my first impression from going to the site:
http://www.factorycustomization.com/

Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Bike Builder and Factory Customization??.....Maybe it is like what I posted below in bold text from another thread. I installed the below listed parts from other models and wouldn't have minded ordering the bike with those part options.

Screamin Eagle Dyna gauges
Screamin Eagle Dyna turn signal mounts
Screamin Eagle Springer foot pegs
Deuce headlight
Sportster Custom headlight mount
Wide Glide triple clamps
Wide Glide 21" front wheel
Wide Glide forward controls
Street Glide air shocks
Street Bob seat

Harley Davidson could charged a little more as the parts are similarly priced between models, that would be a win-win for Harley Davidson and the customer. They could also factory install items from there parts and accessories catalog (assembler would have to pick parts per order; stock cam vs. performance cam, stock bore vs. big bore, etc).

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
That looks good, and the pipes really improved the look. Your bike looks a lot better then the photos on the Harley Davidson website and probably looks even better in person.

Looks like there using a lot of parts from other models (see below list). Wish I could order a bike with part options, that would have saved me a lot of time and money, maybe Harley Davidson will have selectable part options in the future.

Congratulations on your great looking new ride .

Street Bob = engine, trans, seat
Fat Bob = exhaust
Low Rider = tank, handlebars
Night Train = risers
Screamin Eagle Dyna = console, front signal mounts
Sportster Nightster = license mount

Old 01-05-2011, 07:58 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by schumacher
Harley taking something from Victory......very funny indeed
Aint that the truth?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
Harley taking something from Victory......very funny indeed
Originally Posted by barjbar
Aint that the truth?
What goes around comes around.....It's about time Harley Davidson started doing the same as what the other manufactures have been doing (copying).

Just wish they would focus on a Yamaha V Max power train and build a water cooled V4 that looks externally like an air cooled V Twin cruiser with enough power and torque to draw headlines like "Fastest most powerful production bike ever!". That's what they should have done when they started with a clean slate and designed the V Rod.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

It's about time. Why the hell would anyone NOT want to take advantage of such a program. I mean almost everyone that buys a new bike promptly switches out a bunch of parts and forks out thousands on extra crap. Why not pay for it once? Besides, I'm sure it would be cheaper this way.

Quick Reply: Harley to start Factory Custom Order Program