Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
40.30%
No
22.39%
I use black wire raps now.
34.33%
Mine fell of and I dont have one any longer.
2.99%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Battery Cover Clips 06 Sportster

Old 07-04-2010, 06:13 PM
shiftharder
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine failed the first year I had it - (2008 C) - the solution is a tie rap - In fact Harley knows this and their solution is a tie rap - To prove my point, I had my bike serviced last week and took it in with no tie rap and when I got the bike back on Thursday they had installed a tie rap at the dealer and I never asked or told them - they just did it as a automatic action - they know the clips suck.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:14 AM
chrome spoke
Intermediate

They told me at the dealer it was a fourth attempt at a clip to hold panel on my 04.
Still got to double check that thing.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:38 AM
WVleo
Road Master

no problems yet with mine , hopefully I won't have to deal with the cover falling off...WVleo

Old 07-06-2010, 05:32 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got some of the new clips yesterday since the forward one was missing from the new bike my Mrs got. Looking at it in the store in the package I couldn't tell how it went together. Once I got it home I was rather disapointed and irritated by the idiot engineers. It actually looks to be a poorer design. It seemed to hold poorly as it was tough to get it just right. I looked for obstructions around the battery etc but saw none. I had to pull the cover to get it into place. It didn't take much to pop it open. It certainly appeared that as the female portion on the frame wore, that it would open up and we would be back in the same predicament. Yes it uses screws, but thats only to hold the two portions to the frame and battery cover respectively. However there is very little contact area.

The worst part of all is that there is no way to drill a hole through it and drop a zip tie in. Its essentially a C shape with the male portion on the battery cover clipping into it. I took the junk back while I could.

I'm prolly going to try making an L shaped bracket, screw it to the frame, and have it sit under the battery cover. Then drop a zip tie throught he cover and the bracket. I may look at it closer and try some ideas. Sadly few things could be worse than the clip HD made. I may also try to find some of the older clips and get them while I can. At least with those we can drop the zip tie through and know its secure.

MH

Old 07-17-2010, 08:50 AM
gateswork
Stage III

I wish I would have read this thread earlier, as mine fell off yesterday and is all scratched up now :-(. It has popped open several times, but never fell off until then. I keep a battery tender on the battery, so I have it open in the garage a lot. Horrible design by H-D. I am going to fabricate a locking mechanism for it, now that it is all scratched up.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 AM
13thBama
Advanced

gateswork, how old is the bike? If they redesigned the clips then maybe you have a case for a new cover? Just a thought. Also, get the harness for the battery tender. Mine was put on by the previous owner. It sits just under the rear edge of my gas tank and makes it very easy to hook to the tender. I almost never remove my cover.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:32 AM
gateswork
Stage III

Mine is an 04 and has been customized so much I am sure H-D would laugh about warranting anything. I appreciate the suggestions however. Many thanks.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:03 PM
spizike9
Advanced

I bought my bike used (09 Nightster) and the first time I rode it I was at a stop light and sombody told me that my battery cover was hanging. Luckily it didn't come off it completly. New clips are 15 bucks a pop. I know Harley stuff is expensive but that is just rediculous. Plus by the sounds of it I'll probably be replacing them multiple times.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:14 PM
poisonthesteve
Tourer

Yes. MY stock clips sucked ***. Thats why I have zip-ties holding that bitch down

Old 04-21-2012, 06:47 PM
KenMullens22
Stage I

2008 1200 XL - I've had the same problem as you all, hit a bump and my cover is hanging.

Exactly how do you install the tie wrap? Do you drill a hole in the side cover or the clip to install the tie wrap? Someone told me they drilled a hole in the clip itself so she could just pull the zip wrap out when she wanted to open the cover, but I didn't get a chance to look and see how she did it.

I drilled a small hole in the front clip and stuck a unpopped rivet through it. Doesn't look too secure, I can imagine the rivet stud working it's way out in time.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Cover Clips 06 Sportster