General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't newer big twins have the potato sound?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:10 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

One factor for a different sounding engine is the bore to stroke ratio. To get the bigger displacements HD increased the bore primarily. It was the long stroke that gives the old Shovels and Evos that "potato" sound. Also read recently in a "Hot Baggers" Mag article that any idle below 1000 rpm delivers a shock to the crank shaft as the slow turning engine tries to cycle and can damage the lower end. If I can find the exact quote/article I'll pass it on. Oh, another big factor I think is the stock exhaust on the newer Harley's. I had one pull up next to me at a red light a few years ago and I swear it sounded like a Honda; it was a sporty if I recall.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:53 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Much higher idle speed and EFI!!!

Old 11-19-2010, 05:12 AM
AFHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't really matter to me... Still sounds better than those rice burner bikes IMO!

Old 11-19-2010, 05:25 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 04 Softail has a carb and Samson Big Guns. It REALLY sounds like a Harley. In fact, I may get baffles to quiet it for riding to work. However, even the most stock-exahaust, EFI new from the showroom Harley still sounds enough like a Harley to be distinguishable from everything else by sound alone, as soon as you hear it. Honda and Yamaha and Victory may make bikes that look like a Harley from a distance, but you can tell them apart by sound before you can do it by looks.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:37 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

It would appear that the loss of the potato is down to the 96 engine having an oil pump that requires higher rev's to make sure that the oil gets to where its needed. I must admit I miss the potato sound, the new bikes sound quite modern on tick over. Even changing pipes has little effect.
However we do need to move with the times, or buy an older bike.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:42 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't think anyone yet has the correct answer. Po-ta-to Po-ta-to is a three beat sound coming out of a two cylinder engine. Modern Harleys only have a tater tater sound.

The Potato Potato sound was produced by the old ignition, which fired both spark plugs at the same time, producing a "wasted" spark on each cylinder's exhaust stroke. Because there is a 405 degree difference in the stroke from the rear cylinder to the front on each revolution, when the rear cylinder fires on its compression stroke, the front exhaust valve is still open, unburned gases are ignited in the front exhaust by the "wasted" spark, causing the first beat of the potato sound. The modern ignition fires each plug separately at the proper time.

Add in the richer fuel mixture from a carb which loaded up the exhaust with unburned gases, and a slow idle, and that's why the old bikes had the classic sound we all loved.

Japanese bikes say "rice-a-ro-ni".

Last edited by MNPGRider; 11-21-2010 at 04:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PhilippeD (10-15-2020)
Old 11-19-2010, 05:46 AM
sageone
Advanced

Wouldn't revert to old technology just for the sound alone. Would need a better reason.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sageone
Wouldn't revert to old technology just for the sound alone. Would need a better reason.

I wouldn't buy a new bike for technology alone. Different strokes for different folks. I will stick with my carbed bike.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:49 AM
sageone
Advanced

This is true, much easier to work on that's for sure.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:59 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Between the EFI, emissions and newer style ignition the sound has been changed. The new sound is simply " tater, tater, tater, tater.

Quick Reply: Why don't newer big twins have the potato sound?