Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill Country Customs Apes?

Old 11-14-2010, 11:19 PM
warrenrl
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hill Country Customs Apes?

Anyone have them? Do you like them? I'm looking at the 14" for my streetglide.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:20 AM
vette
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I helped my son put them on his Deluxe, and he is very happy with them.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:35 AM
BAGGERNATE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warrenrl
Anyone have them? Do you like them? I'm looking at the 14" for my streetglide.

I just got the set I ordered approx. 2 weeks ago on Fri. Won't have time for about a week to do the install. I went the complete 14" set up, pre wired, throttle sensor, all chrome switch covers and caps, chrome levers, chrome clutch perch and braided cable, chrome master cyl. and braided brake line, wires already have the plug ends on them. All assembled except cable and brake line. I went that route for a couple reasons, the labor of disassembly of my bars and splicing wires and reassembly in the new bars. Another reason when they build them there are no splices inside the bars. All I have done so far is add the grips I already had. My first impression was a good one, very nice chrome on all parts. All parts if they are not OEM appear to be excact copies, master cyl, controls, covers and caps, levers all look like chromed OEM parts. Over the next week or so, I'll be picking up the tranny cover gasket, trans oil, and the dot 4 brake fluid, needed for the install. When I have it done I'll get back with more details. One thing I should mention now is, if you have ABS brakes, as I do, then you only get 1 braided brake line. The one from master cyl. to the hard line going to the ABS module under the seat. You can replace that line and not have to have HD dealer bleed them. The other 3 lines, if replaced allow air into the ABS module and then HD has to do their magical electronic bleeding thing. That will be my next project, those 3 lines, calipers and fork sliders. If you don't have ABS then all lines are included down to the calipers. You can bleed that system without the HD magic. If everything works after the install, (control wiring and operation) I'll be very impressed with the kit. When I talked to the dealer about doing this project, the first figure he wrote down was $1,200.00 When I asked what that was for he said labor and we hadn't even got started on any parts, that's when I said never mind I don't need any more info. More to come....

Nate

Old 11-15-2010, 07:31 AM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Put them on my buddies 07 UC several months ago bars are nice quality but had nothing but problems with the cables throttle and clutch werent the best quality and where the wrong sizes took me hours to figure that out..The color code wires worked well my only complaint with them was they didnt clip into each other the only thing holding them was the shrink wrap

Old 11-15-2010, 07:44 AM
alhall88
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like good news as I will be ordering a kit for my Road King Classic. So on the ABS there will be no bleeding necessary? How does all the air from the master cylinder and brake line escape? On another note when I talked to them about wanting more pullback then there standard 9 inch they offered to use the wild one chubby bars with the pullback I was looking for but it raised the cost by $100.00.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:41 PM
BAGGERNATE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alhall88
This sounds like good news as I will be ordering a kit for my Road King Classic. So on the ABS there will be no bleeding necessary? How does all the air from the master cylinder and brake line escape? On another note when I talked to them about wanting more pullback then there standard 9 inch they offered to use the wild one chubby bars with the pullback I was looking for but it raised the cost by $100.00.
I didn't say no bleeding needed. I said you wont have to have a dealer bleed the lines and module. You will need to allow the air in the line to raise up from where the new line meets the hard line to the ABS module, back to master cyl. When no air has gotten to the module it dosen't need to be electronically reset at the dealer. That is my understanding. When I open the brake line to run the new one, I plan to have the bike on an incline in the driveway to make the air easier to get back to the master cyl. In any case the brakes will still work, the ABS just won't function and the light won't go out. Again that is what I have been told. Not actually having done the install as yet I can't say positively.

Nate

Old 11-15-2010, 04:46 PM
DoubleJ74
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I put their 16" apes on about 4 months ago...no complaints here.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:59 PM
warrenrl
Advanced

bump.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:45 PM
walio352
Stage IV

i had installed hcc 18" apes on my fatboy not even a year ago and the chrome already started to spiderweb.
their product is junk quality and the cables and lines they were kind enough to offer (as part of a package) were of incorrect lenths and really poor quality.
i ended up throwing all that hill country crap out.

wild 1 risers and bars
h-d chrome hand controls & switches/housings
bernett cables

oh by the way good luck running wires through thoses jagged *** handlebars from hcc!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:58 PM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a set of the beach bars.... I liked emm well enough...
Anything chrome aftermarket... Harley or otherwise turns to crap sooner or later...
Just go look at any used bike...
A real used bike... Not a 4 year old bike with 800 miles on it.....
Especially chromed aluminum...
That chips and flakes...
Steel... StArts to rust.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hill Country Customs Apes?