General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hillside USA vs Fox Creek vs First Mfg Co

Old 10-09-2010, 09:32 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Hillside USA vs Fox Creek vs First Mfg Co

It's time for a new leather jacket and while Foxcreek was at the top of my list but I think I may go another direction. As I was searching I came across Bikers Den website and saw this Pistol Pete leather made by First Mfg Co. It's a nice looking jacket and seems like it's good quality, and thick (1.3 - 1.4 mm). I don't know anything about First Mfg Co but I may take a chance and order this one.

http://www.bikersden.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=2800

Bikers Den also has jackets made by Hillside USA. These jackets look almost identical to Fox Creek, both in style and quality...but cost significantly less. I heard somewhere that Fox Creek doesn't make their jackets, but has one specific company make them. Is it possible that same company makes these jackets for Hillside USA too?

Take a look at the Men's Black Leather Beltless Motorcycle Jacket with Gun Pockets - Hillside USA. It's almost identical to the Fox Creek Classic Motorcycle II and is also a little thicker (1.6-1.8 mm vs 1.4-1.6 mm). Fox Creek sells if for $412 and Hillside USA has it on sale for $288..... $124 less. Hillside also has other style jackets that look much like what Fox Creek sells.

http://www.bikersden.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=4711

Just thought I'd share in case someone was looking at Fox Creek but thought the price was a little steep. This might be a good alternative....or a better one.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 10 pocket vest by First....got it from Bikers Den for $69.

It is an excellent vest. The leather is thick and even, stitching is well done, and the all important liner is a medium weight black denim cloth around the edges and inner pockets, and a polyester material throughout the rest. A good soft one that feels like silk, not those cheap stiff ones that fell like plastic. This is a GREAT vest at a GREAT price. It is a bit heavy for summer though and I'll put together a denim based cut for next summer. This one is great for Fall, Winter and Spring though.

I know you're not looking for a vest, but this is the only product I own by First, and it's a good one.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:01 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Joe. That helps with my decision. I'm assuming if their vests are good quality, so are their jackets. I may go ahead and order that vest too.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always send it back if you don't like it!

Old 10-09-2010, 10:24 AM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the bronson jacket by first. Very heavy leather and well made.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:55 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

This is true. Return policies are great!! lol I don't think I'll have to though. I feel pretty good about purchasing this jacket from them.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:12 PM
ironmofo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just ordered the exact jacket you're considering - pistol pete by first mfg - from biker's den. i don't like the belts on the classic jackets. love the fact that it comes with both soft and hard ce armor that's swappable.

i also ordered the vanson leather's chopper jacket directly from vanson. been dying to get that one for a while. love the quilted shoulders and back on the outside and of course the traditional red liner.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:33 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

First Mfg leather goods are not made in the USA if that matters to you. Most, if not all of Hillside goods are made in the USA.

Fox Creek does not make their products but they are made in the USA by different makers to Fox Creek specs. If you look on the FC website you will see that they state their products are made in fourteen different US states. Fox Creek does have sales routinely. I think currently all the jackets are $25 off. A couple of weeks ago they were $50 off. I bought one of their $412 jackets (the Grayson) for $362 including shipping. Their leather and quality of construction appear to be outstanding. I just got the jacket so I can't say how it will hold up over time. However, I think it will do very well and I have quality jackets (Langlitz, Vanson, Schott, FXRG, Brooks, HD) to compare it to.

By the way, Vanson has all their leather jackets for $100 off for the rest of the year. Vanson now makes their jackets in Central America. If you want one made in the USA, you have to special order it and pay extra. I doubt I will buy another Vanson but the old ones are top notch.

Last edited by txfxstrider; 11-10-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:08 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The Pistol Pete looks a lot like the one I wear. Bought at a shop in Indianapolis years ago...a Mom & Pop leather store that's been located in a flea market shop for years.

Very heavy and well built jacket. Not sure if same but sure looks like it. I get the urge to look at others often but every time I drag that one out when the chill comes on the urge goes away fast.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:03 PM
ironmofo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
First Mfg leather goods are not made in the USA if that matters to you. Most, if not all of Hillside goods are made in the USA.

Fox Creek does not make their products but they are made in the USA by different makers to Fox Creek specs. If you look on the FC website you will see that they state their products are made in fourteen different US states. Fox Creek does have sales routinely. I think currently all the jackets are $25 off. A couple of weeks ago they were $50 off. I bought one of their $412 jackets (the Grayson) for $362 including shipping. Their leather and quality of construction appear to be outstanding. I just got the jacket so I can't say how it will hold up over time. However, I think it will do very well and I have quality jackets (Langlitz, Vanson, Schott, FXRG, Brooks, HD) to compare it to.

By the way, Vanson has all their leather jackets for $100 off for the rest of the year. Vanson now makes their jackets in Central America. If you want one made in the USA, you have to special order it and pay extra. I doubt I will buy another Vanson but the old ones are top notch.
where do you see the $100 off? is it a coupon?

nvm....found it ;-)

Last edited by ironmofo; 11-11-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hillside USA vs Fox Creek vs First Mfg Co