Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the best brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have used both and went back to "stock" this change...I get better and longer wear out of stock HD....

Old 09-25-2010, 07:26 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
The Z's have a lotta squeak at times....

Ferrodo's are sposed to be very good if you can find them...

Personally I find the Brembo's to be kick ***.

I don't know who makes their pads, but I would highly recommend them....whoever that is?
FerodoFederal-Mogul - Ferodo makes their own pads and are heavily involved in sport bike racing. For your bike Ferodo makes four different compounds. I have used all.
SinterGrip ST (HH-rated)
SinterGrip STAC Track-Day (with Array Cooling™)
CP2.11 Carbon/Ceramic Racing
Platinum Organic Series

Old 09-25-2010, 07:56 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,367 Likes on 21,383 Posts

Do you stock their product then Howard, and if so what are your recommendations for the touring family?

Old 09-25-2010, 08:32 AM
first dyna 07
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just go with the OEM don't fix what is not broke .

Old 09-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,340 Likes on 3,276 Posts

Originally Posted by first dyna 07
I just go with the OEM don't fix what is not broke .
Problem was for me OEM was broke...Easy upgrade same price and improve stopping power....No brainer.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:56 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Do you stock their product then Howard, and if so what are your recommendations for the touring family?
No, I do not wish to get into the brake pad game. When I worked with Paul at Lyndall it cost me money for each sale. The grief you receive afterwords is not worth breaking even at the time of sale.

I prefer Platinum Organic Series pads due to little dust, no corrosive metallic dust as they do not harm your rotors at all just polish them where you should take sand paper and rough them up on occasions. The CP2.11 Carbon/Ceramic Racing require heating them up first which is not practical for the street. The SinterGrip ST (HH-rated) & SinterGrip STAC Track-Day (with Array Cooling™) may gall your rotors. A friend of mine wrote than I edited it to suit you, maybe it will be helpful to you. You should read these facts prior to buying your next set of pads; Sintered Versus Organic Pads

1/ MATERIAL ABRASION.
Most sintered metal pads are designed specifically for use on stainless steel rotors. As such, some of these friction materials do indeed gall the rubbing surfaces to varying degrees. Furthermore, using sintered metal pads (any) on Gray iron or individual mold casting rotors can be a recipe for disaster.

2/ THERMAL DYNAMICS.
Regarding sintered pads on stainless; using the base assumption that the friction material isn't overly abrasive [causing galling, scoring, etc.], the real issue is thermal capacity.

All conventional metals used in rotors have their own thermal dynamics to deal with; total mass, shape, lightening/venting hole type (placement and quantity) combined with inherent thermal conductivity of the resident material all play an integral role in material stability at peak operating temperatures. What we're essentially talking about here is resistance to distortion [warping, coning, etc.].

This is a complicated and convoluted subject that has few simple answers as there are so many variables to factor in. But one basic truth is that the sintered pads, including SinterGrip series, run hotter at the interface than do "most" organic pads...by as much as 150 degrees [F] in our testing. If you're running near the edge of thermal capacity with a particular rotor type and design and high performance / racing organic pads (like the carbon based CP911Star), switching to a racing sintered pad will surely exacerbate the problem.

In majority of instances where a problem occurs, thermal stress induced distortion is the culprit.

Last edited by FastHarley; 09-26-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:05 PM
jaysbobber
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always put EBC's on my bikes. I have never had any problems with them and they work great.