Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Old 05-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 469 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
So just an update: the bike is STILL up on blocks! I had to go to a training thing in San Antonio for a little while and just got back. I have everything done but finishing up the forks and doing the fluid changes. So last night I went to put the lower forks together and ran into a problem... 1st off, I forgot to run by Lowe's and get a piece of PVC to seat the fork seal with and then... this is the one that hurt me, I went to put the bolt in the bottom of the lower fork and when I went to tighten it down, the piece it screws into inside the fork started spinning! Now it is stuck and will not tighten or loosen, just spin. Seriously pissed off right now. I think an impact drill will ghelp, but unfortunately I do not have one. I gotta run by the stealership this afternoon to pick up that bushing and I am seriously considering just having them put the forks togeher and then me take it home... It has just been the biggest pain in the *** for me, and I do not know why! But we will see. I have a friend with an impact drill so I might just swing by there and do it... either way, I am pissed; I about threw the damn fork through the wall.
Impact drill?? Which bolt are you talking about? Gota pic?

Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
So just an update: the bike is STILL up on blocks! I had to go to a training thing in San Antonio for a little while and just got back. I have everything done but finishing up the forks and doing the fluid changes. So last night I went to put the lower forks together and ran into a problem... 1st off, I forgot to run by Lowe's and get a piece of PVC to seat the fork seal with and then... this is the one that hurt me, I went to put the bolt in the bottom of the lower fork and when I went to tighten it down, the piece it screws into inside the fork started spinning! Now it is stuck and will not tighten or loosen, just spin. Seriously pissed off right now. I think an impact drill will ghelp, but unfortunately I do not have one. I gotta run by the stealership this afternoon to pick up that bushing and I am seriously considering just having them put the forks togeher and then me take it home... It has just been the biggest pain in the *** for me, and I do not know why! But we will see. I have a friend with an impact drill so I might just swing by there and do it... either way, I am pissed; I about threw the damn fork through the wall.
Did you reuse the stock bottom allen bolt? The factory ones have some sealing crap on there that can make a mess of things going back in. The replacements don't seem to have that stuff on there. If you have a friend to help, maybe he can pull up hard on the slider while you try to back that allen bolt out. Holding up on the slider might put enough force on the damper rod to keep it from spinning.

If you 'were' reusing the stock allen bolts, get some new ones at the dealer along with some new drain bolts. They all have copper crush washers that might fail if reused.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, I've been hearing a weird squeak in my front end for the past few days.. i know it's the front end because i've slowed down and hit a few bumps (like 5-10mph) and it happens on the front when i hit a bump..so im like ..wtf.. i found one of my heat shield clamps came un done, so i tightened that back up thinking maybe it was the clamp rubbing on the heatshield) and took it for a ride..same thing, noise is there (and obnoxious..the guys i was riding with yesterday heard it over my exhaust, over their exhausts, and over the wind in their ears).. okay, so i tear the headlight off, the plates around the headlight, and strip it down to just the tire and the forks and such (which meant lifting up the gas tank and doing all that bs just to get at the connection for the headlight)..check the pinch bolts and everything, all is well.. take it back out for a test ride..the noise is still frickin there.. and now that I had those plates around the headlight torn off i notice i've got fork oil coming out from the top of the forks (just my luck).. i know I don't have too much oil in there, since the manual calls for 13.4fl/oz and even with the RaceTech stuff i dropped in, i only put in about 13.. then with everything torn down I notice all my bolts are leaking on the forks (the drain bolts are leaking, and the bolts that hold the spring tubes to the lowers under the forks) are leaking.. so that explains why i'm getting **** all over my front exhaust pipe.. but now that i had them all ripped apart, i managed to use a press and fit the 1" spacer in to the spring tube (that i was supposed to use with the RaceTechs, but they said it wasn't necessary)..so that should drop my front end about an inch.. got that done, gonna go out and find those crush washers and replace all 4 of those in the morning, and the gasket/o-ring on the top of the forks tomorrow..then put it all back together and test it out again..and if that noise is still there, i'm going to kick someone in the nards.

tl;dr - my sunday wasn't very fun.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Shooter198
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion as I am a little torn?. I would like to get a LED tail light for my lo, not interested in the integrated though.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 PM
td234
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Shooter198
Just wondering if anyone has an opinion as I am a little torn?. I would like to get a LED tail light for my lo, not interested in the integrated though.
Just went through this myself a couple of weeks ago. I DID want the integrated tail light so my specs were a little different. I LOVE the look without the turns signals hanging off the sides.

I narrowed it down to BadAssLights, D2Moto and Custom Dymanics. BadAssLights seemed too price for basically the same product. D2Moto seemed to cheap. So, I went with the middle of the road, Custom Dynamics, and am thrilled. The quality is great, service is good and the light is well built. I highly recommend CD.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Shooter198
Advanced

Originally Posted by td234
Just went through this myself a couple of weeks ago. I DID want the integrated tail light so my specs were a little different. I LOVE the look without the turns signals hanging off the sides.

I narrowed it down to BadAssLights, D2Moto and Custom Dymanics. BadAssLights seemed too price for basically the same product. D2Moto seemed to cheap. So, I went with the middle of the road, Custom Dynamics, and am thrilled. The quality is great, service is good and the light is well built. I highly recommend CD.
Can't Remeber if I have been to CD's website, Do they have one that is not intergrated? That just don't seem safe to me, not bright enough and people may not notice them. Are they super bright?

Old 05-07-2012, 03:18 PM
td234
Cruiser

Can't Remeber if I have been to CD's website, Do they have one that is not intergrated? That just don't seem safe to me, not bright enough and people may not notice them. Are they super bright?
I find it pretty bright. I figure it is really just about 4 inches from the original location so not too much of a move. I believe they do have just tail lights.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Shooter198
Advanced

Originally Posted by td234
I find it pretty bright. I figure it is really just about 4 inches from the original location so not too much of a move. I believe they do have just tail lights.
Thanks for the info, nice looking ride. I now have the hogrida laydown license plate bracket too, love the look.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Youngneg
Tourer

Shooter.... Brightasslight... Are pricey but worth every penny, I have a BAL- ST3... I think it is ,the laid down smoked with plate light..... It has a lot of setting to it,including intensity,flashes...... Great taillight!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Goatman44
Intermediate

+ 1 on the Brightasslight.
http://brightasslights.com/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners