General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Black Paint - No Scratches!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:02 PM
yellowtailfan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Black Paint - No Scratches!!!

Got an 06 street glide, yes, i know, who doesn't???

How do others keep the (non-metalic) black paint from scratching so easily?

I realize it's the clear coat scratching, problem is the black color is perfect to highlight imperfections.

What's the best product, process, or maybe multiple steps that work to polish the black and keep it looking good for a while versus always appearing scratched?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:36 PM
TH_FLHX
6th Gear

I recently picked up an 06 SG Vivid Black. The last owner did not care for it the way i would and so it was dull and has some fine scratches/hazing. So far i have used the clay bar, the harley swirl and scratch remover and Ice wax. It is a 100% improvement but i still have some of those fine scratches and swirls. Next i think i am going to use an orbital buffer (porter cable) and the swirl remover to see if i can do better. I wonder has anyone used the Novus 2 on the bags and fairing?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:52 PM
yellowtailfan
Intermediate

I've tried both novus, harley swirl remover then harley glaze polish... still scratches. I actually am trying a 3M product designed for high luster custom finishes... (received it over holidays, have not used as it's too cold). I'm looking for an easier way than constant polish... if I can't figure a solution or find one at HD forums, actually leaning towards metallic black paint job (like an automotive paint or custom black with metallics...) Scratches do not show on metallics - versus flat colors w/ clear coat...

Old 02-23-2010, 01:53 PM
yellowtailfan
Intermediate

Nice bike - looks like you got a great bike without someone else's custom mod's...

Old 02-23-2010, 05:29 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowtailfan
Got an 06 street glide, yes, i know, who doesn't???

How do others keep the (non-metalic) black paint from scratching so easily?

I realize it's the clear coat scratching, problem is the black color is perfect to highlight imperfections.

What's the best product, process, or maybe multiple steps that work to polish the black and keep it looking good for a while versus always appearing scratched?
I would clay, polish and wax. I use Menzerna polish. Not to be rude but scratches and swirls are usually induced by poor washing and drying techniques.

I have heard of the 2 bucket wash method but I rinse microfiber out with hose several times while washing. More when bike is very dirty. I don't use anything other than microfibers to wash and dry. You will be suprised how much longer your bike will stay scratch free. I also stay away from quick detailers when bike is dirty. I do use it when bike needs a little touching up.

If you really want to see how scratched clearcoat is check out with a bright light of some sort. Be careful you may cry.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 PM
TH_FLHX
6th Gear

I agree about washing and drying the cause for scratches. I think the guy that had my bike used paper towels!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:03 PM
SaltyHawg
Cruiser

i'm with no carb.. clay bar, menzerna polishes, the menzerna FMJ. I'd be careful using buffers unless you know what you are doing.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:45 PM
bradleys
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 47 Posts

Not to start this debate again.... but I use Pledge and a micro fiber towel.

Give it a good wash, dry with a leaf blower and then use pledge on the paint. After that just keep dusting it with the micro fiber towel and the pledge to keep it looking perfect.

I probably wash the bike once a year and it always looks fantastic. I pulled it out last Saturday after sitting for a couple of months and my wife asked me if I had just washed the thing. Nope - just a quick wipe.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:47 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

mequires scratch X2.o is the **** man i love this stuff works great buff the bike out with it and then cpl good coats of wax and thing shines like new. Did my buddies vivid black ultra and looked new and he never wash's that thing.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:58 PM
yellowtailfan
Intermediate

Interesting tatics/approaches. And to NoCarb, no offense taken... actually, I use nothing but microfiber ever since buying. My downfall, more than a time 'er two I've used a "quick detailer" when honestly i should have washed. I truly like Lucas spray mist.. However, I've detailed the bike and I can still see scratches. garage has 6 florecent lights, which show more flaws. And Pledge? ...like lemon fresh it's chore time for the kids - go dust the wood tables kinda Pledge? I will look into the clay bar, menzerna polish.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black Paint - No Scratches!!!