Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Historic/Antique Plates

Old 02-04-2010, 07:39 PM
C. Numb
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Historic/Antique Plates

I just got my NJ "Historic" license plate in the mail. It adds a nice touch, I think, and now I dont have to get the bike inspected. I was surprised that they required pictures, and said that it had to be completely unmodified. I guess I passed.

I would have liked to put 70XLCH on the plate, but NJ does not have personalized historic plates for motorcycles, just cars. Any of you guys have historic plates for your bikes? Does your state have weird rules surrounding them?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:14 PM
70Weight
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Texas, with those plates they say limited use.Like parades,shows,runs..weekends.
No everyday use!
Now THATS a spoiled 70..Her own water dish and fridge!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

In Ontario, Canada no historic or personalized plates for motorcycles. Its like a backwater here.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:04 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member

Originally Posted by IronMick
In Ontario, Canada no historic or personalized plates for motorcycles. Its like a backwater here.
same thing here in the maritimes, no antique or historic plates for bikes either

Old 02-05-2010, 04:44 AM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a problem im ohio, no picks , only 27 bucks only supposed to run on weekend and special events, but the way i look at it every day i ride mine it is a special event ! no local police have ever bothered me yet!

Old 02-05-2010, 04:49 AM
C. Numb
Road Captain

Originally Posted by IronMick
Originally Posted by NSCoyote
same thing here in the maritimes, no antique or historic plates for bikes either
So for you guys in Canada, do you need to get your bikes inspected like we do here in the US? And if so, do they have grandfather clauses for antique bikes? For example, this bike would never pass NJ inspection because it has no turn signals, but because of the year it was built (anything prior to 74, I think), they will allow it. Is that the way it works up there?

Old 02-05-2010, 06:35 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

here in arizonaHistoric/Antique Plates-streetdscf0035.jpg the vech doesnt have to be stock and the plates are brass.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:56 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by C. Numb
So for you guys in Canada, do you need to get your bikes inspected like we do here in the US? And if so, do they have grandfather clauses for antique bikes? For example, this bike would never pass NJ inspection because it has no turn signals, but because of the year it was built (anything prior to 74, I think), they will allow it. Is that the way it works up there?
In Ontario every vehicle must be inspected when it is bought/sold. Then you get a Safety Standards Certificate. There are 36 items on the inspection list, with an additional 6 specifically for motorcycles. If a mechanic does not do it properly he may lose his license. They all take it quite seriously.

The vehicle must meet the standards in effect when it was manufactured.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:02 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member

my 69 is exempt from turn signal requirments as it wasnt a requirment to have them when the bike was manufacture (72 i think is when it became mandatory by law)
but yeah here we get inspected every 2 years, it used to be every year. if your mechanic does the inspection and you'll fidn younger guys/girls will not let a biek pass even if it doesnt need or require thigns like turn signals if they aitn o nthere so you gotta either fight with there boss or go to an older mechanic to get it done

Old 02-05-2010, 07:42 AM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

What happens if you get antique plates and then modify the bike later

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Historic/Antique Plates