General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender install ?

Old 12-12-2009, 05:46 PM
RyanC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Tender install ?

I have an 07 Nightster I'm about to store for the winter . I've topped it off and added the fuel stableizer, I broke out my tender and realized I don't exactly know how to install it. I only have the owners manual ( I know get the service manual) and I don't have a service repair manual so finding the NEG gound post has proved to be a challenge. So I ask you, where do I connect the neg tender lead and how the hell do I put this thing on without pulling the battery? Can I leave the battery leads on and then attach the eyelets of the tender cable over them? After I get that done can I leave the tender lead on year round and plug and unplug as needed? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:02 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After I get that done can I leave the tender lead on year round and plug and unplug as needed? Thanks in advance for your help.

Yup, that's exactly what you do, just put the pigtail right on the battery posts, and let the pigtail hang out a little bit next to your seat. 1, 2, 3. Simple as that.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:05 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanC
I have an 07 Nightster I'm about to store for the winter . I've topped it off and added the fuel stableizer, I broke out my tender and realized I don't exactly know how to install it. I only have the owners manual ( I know get the service manual) and I don't have a service repair manual so finding the NEG gound post has proved to be a challenge. So I ask you, where do I connect the neg tender lead and how the hell do I put this thing on without pulling the battery? Can I leave the battery leads on and then attach the eyelets of the tender cable over them? After I get that done can I leave the tender lead on year round and plug and unplug as needed? Thanks in advance for your help.
Visit your local dealer and they should take care of it for you at no charge if you purchased it from them.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:42 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,054 Likes on 630 Posts

...... Yep , I just let it Hang by the Seat Post....

Old 12-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The two leads from the Battery Tender lead both go on the battery, one on the positive terminal, one on the negative.

You may have to pull the battery to put them on, depending on how the battery and cables are installed. Once you get them on though, it's there until you take it off.

Figure out where you want to route it so you can plug the Tender in when you want and it won't be so obvious when it's unplugged.

I would suggest using the Tender whenever the bike is going to be parked. If you ride every day you won't need it but if you let it sit for a week or two, you'll know the battery will be kept charged and be ready to go when you are.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:26 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Your ground terminal should be near the battery and if it's like mine it's just below the console. Just follow the wires from the neg post on the battery. Alternately you can wire it direct to the negative post as I did. You have to remove the bolts or screws from the battery posts to install the pigtail leads.

Since I use the same connector for my heated gear I have the coax lead coming up just in front of the seat horn where I can reach it easily. Prior to that I had it tucked behind the coil cover on the shifter side of the bike. That way there is less danger of it getting melted on the exhaust.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:43 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wired a cig lighter socket to my battery to power 12 volt stuff & to light my smokes! I wired my tender to a male plug that goes into the cig lighter socket & I just plug it in & walk away! Doesnt get easier than that!
I wipe a thin coat of oil on my forks for the winter to help prevent rust, lube my throttle cables, fresh oil change so old oil with acids wont be touching my engine parts all winter, I squirt a few shots of oil into my plug holes to keep my cylinders oiled, check for max tire inflation. In the spring, it gets a good hand wash & wax. i go over the whole bike like a CSI team at a murder scene looking for cracks in the frame, checking neck bearings, brakes etc than off I go!

Old 12-13-2009, 02:18 AM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

I finally put the charging leads on our bikes the fall.

Good thing too because I found the wife's sporty battery post bolts were barely snug.

I used a couple of black electrical ties to hold it the leads in position.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:26 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
Run wires directly to the battery (use Loc-Tite). To make a quick connect / disconnect you can solder wires to a banana jack and mount it some were out of sight. Use an additional banana jack on the Battery Tender leads. http://shop3.frys.com/product/237909...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Old 12-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Ron1187
Intermediate

The battery should be marked......+ for Positive and - for Negative

I had a tender that had alligator clips on it that I cut off and installed a two wire connecter like you have for a hitch. I then cut some wire and connected it directly to my battery and the other end has the other side of that connecter.

I plug mine in every time I park it. It won't overcharge your battery so no need to worry.

As was said earlier, follow the cables. The negative will bolt to the frame usually close by.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Tender install ?