Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

SE heavy breather question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Anthony16
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE heavy breather question

I initially ordered a 29515-08 se stage 1 air cleaner 58mm but changed it to the 29006-09a heavy breather air cleaner.
I have a 58 mm throttle body on my engine. The SE catalog says that the heavy breather will fit on the 50 and 58 mm throttle bodies. What I'm wondering is the heavy breather actually not the best intake for this throttle body?? Does it use some type of adapter that is actually limiting the throttle body to the size of the outlet of the heavy breather or is the heavy breathers outlet 58mm already. Maybe none of this matters in performance but I just started thinking of this and it has me concerned.
If anyone can help me out here I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 11-07-2009, 05:35 PM
skruzluce
Intermediate
Default plenty of air

i gotta bet you're getting plenty of air as is really and will just be adding more with the heavy breather. So i guess what i'm saying is a shortage won't be an issue and rarely is on an H-D (especially lately as they come out of the factory running near 17 on the air/fuel (13~14 being ideal) i'd probably rather it be only 50mm to choke it down some and cool er off. I assume you have an efi tuner of some sorts that will also need re-tuned to the added air-flow. My opinion only, and hope it helps some

Old 11-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Anthony16
Advanced

Thanks for the fast reply. I have the SE stage 4 kit installed. It comes with the SE tuner. Its suppose to be all "blueprinted" for maximum performance. Who really knows, I'll probably need more parts, Thats the Harley way , LOL. I actually didn't even pick the bike up yet but everything was just completed a week ago. I'm in Cleveland for two weeks and I went to a few dealers today to pass the time and I got to thinking about this issue.
If anyone else knows about this feel free to chime in also.

Thanks

Originally Posted by skruzluce
i gotta bet you're getting plenty of air as is really and will just be adding more with the heavy breather. So i guess what i'm saying is a shortage won't be an issue and rarely is on an H-D (especially lately as they come out of the factory running near 17 on the air/fuel (13~14 being ideal) i'd probably rather it be only 50mm to choke it down some and cool er off. I assume you have an efi tuner of some sorts that will also need re-tuned to the added air-flow. My opinion only, and hope it helps some

Old 11-08-2009, 01:36 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I have the same TB and went with the Stage 1 type air cleaner however I was at the dealer and was looking at getting the HB and I asked how the HB could fit the 50 and the 58mm TB's the answer I got was this, the adapter is needed to fit it on the 50TB and you leave it out when you install it on the 58. I am still considering the HB as there is no other air cleaner element except the HD one that works with the stage 1 style air cleaner backing plate as it requires 4 bolts to install the filter and K&N does not make a filter that size with that set up, and I am not comfortable with finding the right sized filter and plugging the 3 holes and drilling 4 new ones yet, I am worried about the plugging not the drilling.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Anthony16
Advanced

Well I went to 3 dealers over the weekend and got three different answers from their parts / mechanics.

1. That throttle body wont work with the heavy breather unless you have and adapter installed and I wouldn't do it, You're just asking for trouble when you use adapters. --- Mechanic at dealer one.

2. It will definitely work. The heavy breather bolts right up and will work a lot better than the stage one. I have one on my bike--- Parts/ mechanic guy at dealer 2.

3. I'm not sure , The SE catalog says it bolts right up with the extra screws that it says it needs. -- Parts guy at dealer 3.

Sooooooo I guess I'm going to stick with the HB and see what happens.