EVO All Evo Model Discussion

How Full Should Oil Tank Be

Old 11-02-2009, 09:28 PM
astark
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How Full Should Oil Tank Be

I have over filled my 98 evo with oil, the tank is completely full. I need to drain some out and my dip stick has no marks on it, so looking into the tank through the filler, how full should the tank be.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 PM
chuckchili
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll give you the answer I got when I asked- when your bike is resting on your kickstand the oil level should be at the weld of the oil tank tube (where your dipstick goes). I hope that makes sense. I can't remember if that level measurement is when the oil is warm or cold but hopefully someone else will chime in.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:08 PM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

How many quarts did you use? Are you running an oil cooler? Did you just add oil into existing tank?

If you are not sure. Dump the oil and start over. I believe yours hold three quarts stock.

dave

Old 11-02-2009, 10:15 PM
astark
Road Captain

I would have thought the tank should not be that full, which is about where mine is now when cold, and after twenty miles or so of riding after the change.

I replaced the filter, added what I could to the filter before installing and put a total of 3.5 qts in. After riding ten miles or so and checking warm the tank was full and up into the filler neck.

I would have guessed the tank should be about half full, but I really don't know.

I appreciate your quick response and that is one beautiful bike you have there.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:23 PM
astark
Road Captain

You were posting daven9113 while I was responding to chuckchili, which has some of the information you were requesting.

Additionally, I do not run a cooler and I drained my oil from the tank then filter while warm. Put maybe an tenth of a quart in the filter, installed and then put another three and four tenths in the tank, which I now think over filled, but when cold up to the lower weld of the filler tube to the tank.

I would like to just drain out the hose to the proper level in the tank but do not have dip stick markings to indicate where that might be, but my guess would have been about half full when cold.

Thank you for your response as well, and sorry for such slow typing.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:34 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

old wisdom as stated above, but I do it when level, not on stand, and when warm not cold.

sounds like you put about 1/2 quart too much.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Depending on what bike you have, you put in a half a quart too much or half a quart too little.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:01 PM
astark
Road Captain

It's a 1998 Fatboy, you can see the tank in this pic.

My guess is, if I drain a half a quart the tank will be about three quarters full. If you guys who are correctly filled look in your tank, how full is it.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:08 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

for some reason it seems like you're ignoring the people who have already answered ya

looks like you or someone keeps that bike SUPER clean, and

don't you have a manual?

Old 11-02-2009, 11:30 PM
astark
Road Captain

Sorry NewDude, and you are right, I do keep it pretty clean, at least it was when I took that picture and I do not have a manual.

I do not mean to be ignoring those who have answered so far, and I truly appreciate the responses, but I would like to confirm how full the tank should be, and it may be at the bottom weld of the filler tube to the tank as chuckchili stated.

What I would most like to find out, is not how much oil I should have put in, although that is valuable information, but rather how full your tank is when you look inside and it has been properly filled, on the kick stand or whatever.

Can you or anyone else confirm for chuckchili and I that it should be filled to that weld and if at that level, warm or cold, and on the stand or not.

I sincerely appreciate the responses and thank you all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Full Should Oil Tank Be