Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting on Street Glide - Solved

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:11 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

where i got mine was from the harley parts counter. the adjustable ones that come on the ultra are great quality. i refuse to use kuryakyn crap. they make what's called dragon wings, but the stock harley adjustable ones worked wonders for me. part number for them is......58156-08 this part # is for the 08 and newer batwings. i am guesssing that the different size of fuel tank, 6 gallon, on the 08 and newer harleys dictated the different part number. cost in the 09 parts and accessories catalog is $109.95 it made a huge difference on my streetglide, along with the fork baffle of course.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:26 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Monstermile
I have an 8" Clearview, lowers and fairing deflctors and still get quiet a bit of buffeting. Not complaining at all as it really doesn't bother me. Just giving my results with changes I have made.
I have had good luck with the same combo, I have no buffeting.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:29 PM
EastSideBikerTrash
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magnus
... I'm just not convinced HD did much design research on the batwing.
Your kiddin right? The batwing has been around for a long time.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by EastSideBikerTrash
Your kiddin right? The batwing has been around for a long time.
I just took a look on Wikipedia - it is 40 years old this year! Should be a commemorative....

Last edited by grbrown; 09-16-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Let me start off by saying that 95% of the roads in Texas have a 70 mph speed limit.
So all my comments are about riding at 70 to 75 mph. There is a big difference over 65 mph. Below 60 you can use almost anything

I'm 6' and I sit up pretty straight (because of a bad back, if I slouch), I have a 9 1/2" recurve Clearview, Fork Baffle, Fairing Wings (deflectors) and lower fairings. I have solved my head buffering and get to look over the windshiel by 3" or so.

The helmet types do make a difference too.
My 1/2 helmet is no buffering and the 3/4 is almost head buffering, it is close.

I have tried an 8" Windvest with the major recurve and it had a little buffering, so I sold it
I tried the 10 1/2" Klock Werks and had a little buffering, sold it
I tried a 10" half moon and had a little buffering, sold it

For winter time I have a 12" and 14" halfmoon and they are fine, no buffering.
I look over the 12" and through the 14". But at these sizes, they look and act like billboards
I need to get an 11" for winter, I think it would work too.

What the Fairing lowers helped with, is being able to use the highway pegs. Before I had the lowers if I put my feet on the highway pegs (I have them mounted low) my legs would act like wind deflectors and throw the wind right in my face. Not any buffering just 70 mile per hour wind right in my face. With the lowers their is no difference with my feet on the highway pegs or on the floorboards.

This summer I did take the vents out of the lowers and it seemed to add about twice as much air for cooling my legs and feet.
No differnce on the buffering or wind on the body or face.

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 09-16-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:41 AM
racerdj
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
I paid $24k for my air deflectors and they threw the bike in for free!!!
LOL and can't stop!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:40 AM
RoadKingLou
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was bad at high speed. Felt like face was peeling. Installed a 6 1/2 KW windshield and problem for me solved. Also, Im only 5' 11" so you may need to go higher

Old 09-16-2009, 12:09 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9Roadking9
Hell, i thought it was all about being " in the wind " LOL
Not for me, and most will agree it's about being in the open space, not at all about having your face contorted to alien looks... I am 1/8th American Indian descent and the open space is the appealing part of riding.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 9Roadking9
Hell, i thought it was all about being " in the wind " LOL
This doesn't look like much fun to me.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnus
To any of you out there that feel like Alex Van Halen is playing a drum solo on your head at certain speeds, read on...

I purchased a new to me 2008 SG about 6 weeks and 1,200 miles ago. Love it! It came with an 8' windshield. (not sure the brand but it's tinted black along the bottom and clear on top. No recurve.) For what it's worth, I am 6' tall, 34 inseam, wear a half helmet and probably slouch more than I should.

Anyway, it has been fine at most speeds but between about 50 and 60, the drum solo begins. It's so violent that I could barely focus on street signs or anything. Not too safe not to mention I can't afford any brain damage, I have enough screws lose as it is. Faster than that it smoothed out and under was not so violent, but still there.

As folks have suggested, I used my hand to determine where the worst of it was coming from. I determined that the windshield was tall enough, in fact I could probably go an inch shorter or may drop a few inches and get a recurve type. The nasty stuff was coming from under the fairing.

I tried the fork baffle thing and didn't notice any difference at all. Would have sent it back but it is chrome and does look nice so it can stay.

Next I install the fairing air deflectors. Ahhh... Buffeting is gone. I've done about 100 miles of all different speeds and it's awesome. The way this bike should ride IMHO. I got the adjustable ones so on hot days I can let more air through but even with the vents open, the buffeting is much better.

I actually noticed I was going a lot faster than normal since it was so smooth. I had to keep a close eye on the speedo until I got used to it.

Typical disclaimer, worked for me, YMMV, yada-yada-yada.

Ride safe!
could be worse...Neil Peart solo

Quick Reply: Wind Buffeting on Street Glide - Solved