Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearing sizes

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Pezz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gabulldog
I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure you can change the bearings out from one wheel/axle size to another, most of them have the same outside diameter with only the inside (axle) size being differant. I know with the after market (RC-Performance, etc.) this is the way theirs are made.
The problem is the 99 has different front and rear geometry than a 2000 model. Depending on when your bike was made you might have the 2000 spec. The reason I know this is because I bought wheels and tires off a friend, his bike is a 99 with 2000 front and rear. With that being said I still had to modify the front spacers and add spacers to the rear brake rotor and the drive pully, plus the rear spacers were cut as well. If you don't have access either to a spacer set or a lathe to turn them have your local indy do it. My HD dealer told me they would never fit when I went in to get the 25.4 mm id wheel bearings. Needless to say they had no comment when I took it back in and showed it to them on my bike.

The following users liked this post:
duckf5 (01-25-2021)
Old 09-13-2009, 02:33 PM
bikehunter
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gabulldog
I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure you can change the bearings out from one wheel/axle size to another, most of them have the same outside diameter with only the inside (axle) size being differant. I know with the after market (RC-Performance, etc.) this is the way theirs are made.
I thought that the wheels bearing housings look the same but could'nt measure them at the time.
I will go back and check them out again.
I mention this to the parts guy but he went to speak to the techy and the reply was that I would have to convert to 1".
Don't think they know much to be fair.

duckf5 (01-25-2021)
Old 09-13-2009, 02:47 PM
bikehunter
Tourer

Originally Posted by Pezz
The problem is the 99 has different front and rear geometry than a 2000 model. Depending on when your bike was made you might have the 2000 spec. The reason I know this is because I bought wheels and tires off a friend, his bike is a 99 with 2000 front and rear. With that being said I still had to modify the front spacers and add spacers to the rear brake rotor and the drive pully, plus the rear spacers were cut as well. If you don't have access either to a spacer set or a lathe to turn them have your local indy do it. My HD dealer told me they would never fit when I went in to get the 25.4 mm id wheel bearings. Needless to say they had no comment when I took it back in and showed it to them on my bike.
I have access to a Lathe as I work in a toolroom so thats no problem. If I pay the money I am stuck with them so have to make them fit. In my trade, I have to make things work as I work in an R&D shop. But when home , I get lazy and like the easy route. My downside i'm afraid!
I feel that paying a cheaper price is worth the trouble but these are about $1000 and its a lot at the moment.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:38 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

Hold on there Scooter. Where are you guys getting this info? Lets start from the beginning.
  1. Pull your rotors off and measure the face to face of the front hub on the old stock wheel. It should measure 6.32".
  2. If it does than pull the front wheel and put the Timken Taper bearing wheel on the side. Leave the rotors as they are no longer useful on the new wheel. The new wheel register is 2.24", the old ones are 2".
  3. Buy new 52 mm X 25 mm X 3/4" sealed bearings @ a cost of around $12/ea and a new 3/4" Wheel Bearing spacer from me.
  4. Put on your new rotors onto the new wheel and toss the wheel on.
  5. Buy the same 3/4" bearings and same 3/4" Wheel Bearing spacer in the new rear wheel.
  6. You need to measure the new rotor register on the rear wheel to see if the old rear rotor will fit.
  7. You will need to check the new wheel spacers (outer axle) as the old ones are made for Timken Taper bearings.
2000 & 2001 rear wheel and do not bore this out:

Last edited by FastHarley; 09-13-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:18 PM
HDs4me
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

..... Oh and BTW it's not a 1" id it's metric 25.4mm I believe.
see below

Attached Thumbnails Wheel bearing sizes-2008_wheel_bearings.jpg  
Old 09-13-2009, 08:52 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by HDs4me
see below
He has a 3/4" front axle and not a 25 mm or and older1" axle. The bearing is 52 mm in outer diameter, 25 mm wide and a 3/4" axle.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:30 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like I said before, wheel installation kit. Comes with new bearings and bearing spacers.

Hub size, etc...not an issue.

duckf5 (01-25-2021)
Old 09-14-2009, 12:28 PM
bikehunter
Tourer

Originally Posted by El Rey
Like I said before, wheel installation kit. Comes with new bearings and bearing spacers.

Hub size, etc...not an issue.
Do you have any part numbers?

Old 09-15-2009, 01:07 AM
bikehunter
Tourer

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Hold on there Scooter. Where are you guys getting this info? Lets start from the beginning.
  1. Pull your rotors off and measure the face to face of the front hub on the old stock wheel. It should measure 6.32".
  2. If it does than pull the front wheel and put the Timken Taper bearing wheel on the side. Leave the rotors as they are no longer useful on the new wheel. The new wheel register is 2.24", the old ones are 2".
  3. Buy new 52 mm X 25 mm X 3/4" sealed bearings @ a cost of around $12/ea and a new 3/4" Wheel Bearing spacer from me.
  4. Put on your new rotors onto the new wheel and toss the wheel on.
  5. Buy the same 3/4" bearings and same 3/4" Wheel Bearing spacer in the new rear wheel.
  6. You need to measure the new rotor register on the rear wheel to see if the old rear rotor will fit.
  7. You will need to check the new wheel spacers (outer axle) as the old ones are made for Timken Taper bearings.
2000 & 2001 rear wheel and do not bore this out:
Hi, thanks this the info that I am after, I have heard so much on the wheel fitting outside of this site saying it wont fit etc. What is the cost of your spacers?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:04 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Spacers? Which spacers? All are available through your local HD. The rear must be made. I have never put a 2002 ~ current rear wheel on an earley model hollow tubing rear fork. Due to the availability of whole assemblies due to trike conversions, we would change all with my pivot bushing conversion.

If you have a pre - 2002 swingarm please inspect it periodically as they are known to crack. It happened to me and I know about them. LINK