Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Inverted Stock handlebar (pics/review)

Old 07-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Slackster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Nightster Inverted Stock handlebar (pics/review)

To invert, or not to invert that is the question.

Not really but it seemed like a good title at the time. However it seems lately there are way too many people just monkeying around on there bars. (Nothing wrong with this, just making small talk)

I myself am a dragbar kind of dude, but from the very begining I always thought it would be cool to invert the stock bars like some that I had seen on the net.

Since I just wanted to see what at the hoopla was all about, yesterday I was so bored and curious that I finally got around to doing this mod.

Here are more problems durring this little inverted process:
1. There's like a C shaped clamp that helps lock the grip in place. This little sucker is going to pinch your wire because the dimples on the bar are off. Upon examination I'm sure that a light shave on this little piece without shaving the threading itself, it would than be possible to get a nice fit for the wires.

2. My speedo was kind of in the way but not really. I placed only one mirror on the left top side.

3. I was a bit lazy, so I didn't lift my tank to release some slack off of the wire tuck under the tank. The wires are stretched pretty tight. I also haven't put on the ties yet to clean it up a tad, because i'm not sure if i'm going to leave it for a while or not.

How was the actual ride?

Wow! Got risers? because if you do than I would suggest them. The forward lean riding position is really aggressive. Lower center of gravity. Feels like you have better control on the turns.

My regular set up is just a 32" drag bar with a 4" pull back and they feel GREAT on my stock risers. Where as the inverted bars lowered me about 4". I admit I did feel strain on the back, and began to think how much of a pain in the *** it would be to drive this sucker for more than 20 miles.

There is hope. I figured that personally for myself all I need is two gain at least 2 inches back on the rise in order to put me back in my comfort zone.
You see I pulled the bars in closer to me, and it helped by giving me a more upright position. The grips now felt closer to me than my drag bars so that was a plus. Now if I only had thoes risers......sigh.

One con about the risers is when the hit 4" and up, in my opinion it tends to look kind of goofy when the center of the bar is sitting higher than the front of the tank. I have seen 3 3/4" black risers on ebay, and I do have an 1 1/2" raise on my tank, so I don't think it would exceed the height of my tank.

Super Con
Currently one of my wires did get pinched or pulled to tight, Since durring the test ride I noticed that my signal lights are not functioning along with the brake light, but here I am creating silly threads instead of fixing my problem. (actually it's to damn hot right now)

At this point I still haven't decided weather I should just get the risers and keep it or just debunk the whole project. What do you think?

I'm going to conclude with this super awsome video. This guy is my hero. His bike is the reason I bought one, and in that same color too. His bars had already been inverted before we all started getting retarded with our nightsters. Notice that his inverted bars are pushed forward, giving him a hardcore aggressive lean. The inverted rise on the bar itself is parallel with the forks. This is definately a Cafe Sportster!

Sorry for the pic/info overload and thank you for your time. Hope I didn't waste your valueable thread space.

Last edited by Slackster; 07-30-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

I like the look. Function might suffer a bit, but it turns the head.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:03 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks pretty cool man! We must be on the same brainwave lately or something! Check out my thread "Anti-APES". Keep it up bro you never dissapoint!!!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Nashville
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

That is one interesting bike.
Jury is still out on the bars, but that is a cool ride.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

I like it. I've thought about flipping my bars too, but wanted a bit more rise. It looks really good to me, and you'll probably get used to the position if you try (maybe not, but worth a shot).

Old 07-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Slackster
Cruiser

You're absolutely right! I did have to get use to my dragbars and now I love them, so it's like doing the same thing all over again.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:15 PM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Slackster I have said it before but I'll say it again. I LOVE YOUR BIKE! However at first glance I prefer the drag bar look over the inverted bars. Just my humble opinion

Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 AM
ChoppedNbobbeD
Cruiser

i love the inverted look. but you are correct with the riser issue.
i used a 4 inch so it actually gives you about the same grip hieght as drags but with a way more comfortable slight grip pull back.
looks different which equals awesome!

Old 07-31-2009, 01:11 AM
Austen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i remember that exact video when i was shopping for a bike. def one of the deciding factors on the bike and the pipes.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:37 AM
Chiggerbutt
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My technical vocabulary is very limited, so I'll just say it looks f'n cool.

Good luck with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nightster Inverted Stock handlebar (pics/review)