Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy Floorboards vs. Forward Controls

Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 AM
06flstf
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fatboy Floorboards vs. Forward Controls

Ok, style question for everyone. In your opinion, would replacing the Fatboy floorboards with forward controls significantly take away from the Fatboy style and heritage?

I am considering forward controls on my '06 Fatboy but am on the fence about functionality (more leg room w/FW controls) vs. keeping the legacy styling to it. I have read many of the threads about riders who have moved to forward controls from floorboards -am interested in your thoughts now that you have ridden with the FW controls -would you do it again.

thanks,

Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think they look good on a fatboy. However, they are not going to be as comfortable. If you legs are long the floorboards may not be comfortable either for you. As far as style goes, I do not think it takes away from a fatboy.

Originally Posted by 06flstf
Ok, style question for everyone. In your opinion, would replacing the Fatboy floorboards with forward controls significantly take away from the Fatboy style and heritage?

I am considering forward controls on my '06 Fatboy but am on the fence about functionality (more leg room w/FW controls) vs. keeping the legacy styling to it. I have read many of the threads about riders who have moved to forward controls from floorboards -am interested in your thoughts now that you have ridden with the FW controls -would you do it again.

thanks,

Old 05-15-2009, 07:55 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

not as long as you replace the FL front end with an FX one.

in other words, I think it screws up the look of the Fatboy to mess with the floorboards.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

I'm a convert, replaced the floorboard for pegs on my xbones. I just really like the feel of pegs/forward controls better than floorboards. My decision was about 85% function, but I think the pegs also look good with the direction I want to go with my bike.

If your not really looking for a function, I would stick to the floorboards on the fatboy. I think they go together better for looks.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:28 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had surgery on both feet for plantar fasciitis. My feet are very sensitive. There is no way pegs are more comfortable than floorboards, you may just not mind the discomfort.
Originally Posted by Zacharia_11
I'm a convert, replaced the floorboard for pegs on my xbones. I just really like the feel of pegs/forward controls better than floorboards. My decision was about 85% function, but I think the pegs also look good with the direction I want to go with my bike.

If your not really looking for a function, I would stick to the floorboards on the fatboy. I think they go together better for looks.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master
Exclamation

Originally Posted by tlb
I have had surgery on both feet for plantar fasciitis. My feet are very sensitive. There is no way pegs are more comfortable than floorboards, you may just not mind the discomfort.
hahaha... seriously, your going to tell me what I find is more comfortable?
I rode with the boards on my bones and found them to be not as comfortable as the pegs. I perfer the riding position better with pegs.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:42 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Zacharia_11
If you found the floorboards uncomfortable, I assume that you are a tall guy with long legs, am I right?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Went to forwards on my Springer Classic and then back to the boards. I think both will look right at home on your Fatboy just as they did on my Classic. It's all a matter of comfort I think. With a 34" inseam the forwards with ness extensions just didn't feel long enough to me. So I opted for a keeping the extensions with the stock boards. While I can't stretch too much, I can move my feet around while riding, making it more comfortable.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:48 AM
06flstf
Tourer

I'm 6' and the floorboards almost feel like having mid controls, on longer rides I end up with my heal on the boards and toes sticking out the top/side. Have considered MarkIII's and highway bars but they don't put me in comfortable position either (have to raise legs up into more of a clamshell).

Old 05-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Originally Posted by 128auto
Zacharia_11
If you found the floorboards uncomfortable, I assume that you are a tall guy with long legs, am I right?
I'm 6'2". My change had more to do with the whole riding position. Seats low and back, bars are forward and so are the pegs. If I kept the stock set up on the bones with the high-forward style seat I would have kept the boards.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fatboy Floorboards vs. Forward Controls