Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Oil Change Prices

Old 05-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Dealer Oil Change Prices

I sometimes change the motor oil myself but had two gift cards for $50.00 each so i thought i would treat my bike to an oil change and safe myself the labor , i walk into the dealer to the service dept and was told it would be $78.00 plus tax , wow 3 qts of oil and a filter which would take 15 min at the most on a lift , I walk away and bought a jacket instead , my car only cost $32.00 with a free wash , i think i want to call my state's attorney and rat them out , they are over charging the consumer , it does not take an hour to change a bikes oil when you have a lift , what are you guys paying for an oil change at your dealer ? ( if you use them )

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 05-11-2009 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:59 AM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know it doesnt seem right, but $40 of it is the oil and filter right? $40 for a mechanic to do the job isnt too bad. I think the dealers here get around $80/hr.....Doenst make it right, but they do. Thats why I always turn my own wrenches.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:22 AM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Change Cost

After leaving the stealer for my 10k service with half a hide left, I finally decided that I have to start doing the easier stuff like fluid changes myself. You would think if they were smart that they would garner more business if their prices were more reasonable. While they can rape, pillage and plunder those unfortunate without the mechanical ability or care, they are losing the Saturday mechanics like me they basically force us to do it ourselves. I think in the long run, they are the losers. It's the reason most people here on the boards call them stealers........

Old 05-11-2009, 07:26 AM
dmftoy1
Tourer

FWIW - The 1k maintenance on the 07 Dyna Low Rider (used - 300 miles) that I just bought, ran me $191 with me supplying the oil. I wanted to have my new baby serviced the first time by HD but after they overfilled by about a quart they won't be getting her back.

Have a good one,
Dave

Old 05-11-2009, 07:30 AM
fatboyjoe
Intermediate
Default i feel your pain.........

yeah, i think they charge north of $100 to do it at my dealership... which is a bummer because they are a great dealership in all other regards. So i take mine to a small bike repair shop locally and they do it for $50 out the door, and do it while I wait, in like 30 minutes. I purchase so much crap from them I feel like I support them enough, and i don't have a money tree in the backyard and refuse to pay that much for labor on such a simple job.

I am going to try to get a filter wrench and start doing it myself this summer, now that i'm on a new bike and plan to do some more distance riding and rack up the miles.. I'm also thinking about switching to synthetic.

JEC

Old 05-11-2009, 07:49 AM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

This may be lengthy but
last fall I was at dealer and had oil change done hit me for it as a service and was 100.00
as I walked out service door I stopped and turned and went back in to sales mind you
I already paid on credit card I guess light bulb came on! I went to the GM for the dealer and asked what gives also parts manager there to. well after being refunded 65.00 and change I get home and find 7.00 dollar an hour tech way over fills oil. Well back to dealer in cage I go this time with cell phone in hand and HD customer service on line from milwauke
well to say least I left the STEALER with 3 qts oil, refund for oil change and credit/coupoun for an additional fluids change. As consumers we need to stop taking it in the shorts buy the stealers, A little noise politely works!!!
Same dealer just serviced co workers bike and charged 40.00 plus for a
state inspection should have been 13.00 Now in NC the inspections are paperless so they charged him for labor to remove inspection plate.
Carl

Old 05-11-2009, 07:55 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you are right, the difference is, the guy at the local quick oil change for your car is not an actual mechanic. He is just some kid getting minimum wage and there is less shop overhead.
If it makes you feel any better get a boat winterized, $350 to change the oil (engine and out-drive), fog the cylinders and fill the block with antifreeze.

Originally Posted by redrubicon2004
I know it doesnt seem right, but $40 of it is the oil and filter right? $40 for a mechanic to do the job isnt too bad. I think the dealers here get around $80/hr.....Doenst make it right, but they do. Thats why I always turn my own wrenches.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:56 AM
hackenfort
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last time I was in, they told me $225 for a Syn change and check up - I said thank you and left. Ordered a dozen filters from Chic - and bought Mobil-1.

I have a great income, but don't know how people can afford these prices.

Someone should offer a quick-change oil/tire place for bikes with fair prices - I think they would be rich.

The following users liked this post:
Kimberly Ford Clarkson (01-03-2020)
Old 05-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,857 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Call the State's Attorney and rat them out for overcharging the consumer?????

Buy the book.

Buy a lift.

Set yourself free.

If you think they were overcharging you for the oil change, how much did you pay for that jacket and what country was it made in?

The following users liked this post:
slippin_jimmy (06-29-2021)
Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 AM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Well I have the service & parts Books and the lift I am doing all my fluids etc. only reason for dealer doing that change was on way home from ride and it was convenient or at the time I thought it was. Now only major jobs go to dealer or indy unfortunatly the local dealer is a stealer and to take bike for anything with competent service from a dealer is a full day trip dealer is 100 miles away. The Local stealer does not have a single person employed with them from when I bought my Lowrider in july 05.

Carl

Attached Thumbnails Dealer Oil Change Prices-1-pics-001.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer Oil Change Prices