EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Weeping Base Gaskets 1340 Evo

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:07 PM
JohnCT
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weeping Base Gaskets 1340 Evo

My '98 1340 (14,000 miles) has developed a slight weep around the cylinder base gaskets. Nothing awful, but a definite weep.

I know that this is common on Evos but am wondering whether to do the job myself or ask an Indy. I've done a 1200cc conversion on Mattie's Sportster over a couple of easy weekends.

So I'm wondering if this job on my Dyna would be similar or whether this is something I should trust to a professional. Anything to be aware of should I attempt this myself?

Any advice welcomed, thanks.

JohnT

Old 05-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,481 Likes on 4,604 Posts

Since you have already changed a set of cylinders on a Sporty I don`t think you`ll have any problems with the job, but I wouldn`worry too much about a slight weep. Just remember to go easy on the throttle on an EVO until it is warmed up.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:50 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Having just done mine for the first time. I'd recomend waiting until winter time and do it while you wait for the weather to get better. Its not a bad job. On my wide glide, I removed the front motor mount, upper mount and tank.. Plenty of room, peice of cake.. It was a good opportunity for me to address some cosmetic issues I wasnt happy with.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:39 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have some success with silicons On my 93 FLHS (silver motor ) I've used something called mega gray (it is a gasket maker ) You have to clean the cyl bases well with brake clean I mean well like with a tooth brush over three days let it dry wipe etc Apply 3 to 4 coats (drying between coats ) You can usually get several years without oil leaking out! If the base gasket is blown out (paper sticking out ) then you should do the base gaskets I use james metal gaskets Still might seep but no major blow out and let the motor warm up 5 min + before blasting off to the bar !

Old 05-10-2009, 10:07 PM
I8SMK4U
Tourer

Mines been weeping for a year now. At idle it bubbles. I just monitor the oil level, to tell the truth I have not added that much. I'm gonna fix it this next winter when I do heads and a cam.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi John, from just up the road!

I have owned my Glide from new and it started leaking after a few years. I eventually got fed up and had it done, along with a few other more difficult jobs by an independent (in 2001). He assured me that later gaskets cure the problem and mine never leaked again. Sounds as if you are perfectly able to fix it yourself if that is all you want to do. I had mine stroked....

Old 05-11-2009, 10:17 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i agree with the permatex ultra grey silicone, you apply it to both sides of the gasket and let it sit for at least 20 minutes before installing. did this on my rocker box and its never leaked. if i did it again i would leave the pistons in the cylinders, just lift them enough to push out the piston pin. thats how they used to install the old porsche barrels and pistons. they installed the pistons in the barreels and slid the barrels on to alighn the piston with the rod then push the pin in.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:49 AM
paco
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JohnCT,

I have used the hayden oil fix on 2 evo motors now with good results. my 90 hasn't leaked since i put the fix in. just did a 95 evo-ultra used it again. there was a discussion on this subject.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...x-for-evo.html

just another idea. the kit has gone up in price since i bought them. the gaskets and the brass fittings sold together are 31.95 at Jerih now.

later..........

Old 05-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

X2 on Hayden's 'The Oil Fix': http://www.haydensm6.com/tof_single.htm

Old 05-12-2009, 02:11 PM
WRJIII
Stage III
Thumbs up Hang Around

Hey John I have a 1998 Road King Classic 1340 evo Ive done my gaskets twice and am in the process of the third set (61,000 miles) going with James gaskets this go around. Stock Harley the first times, just thought Id try the James gaskets out. Its real simple to do it just a little time consuming but Id do it right away I wouldnt wait.

Quick Reply: Weeping Base Gaskets 1340 Evo