Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Sportster low handle bars and seats

Old 04-20-2009, 07:47 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 05 Sportster low handle bars and seats

My Dad has a 05 Sportster low, it came with buckhorn handle bars. He bought it new. I am looking for what I call Sportster sport bars or ones that came on a Dyna Superglide and some years Low Riders. He is going to be 70 this year and says his shoulders are bothering him on long day rides. I believe if I change out the bars for him that will reposition him enough that he can ride without pain on day 2. Looking for more of a flat moto cross looking bar, a little bit of rise and pull back. Keeping his hands and wrist flat.

His age he say's cant be the problem, LOL. Idea's, part numbers, appreciated. Either post here or pm me...thanks guy's and gal's.

Maybe a seat change too? He has a single stock solo seat. If anyone has parts for sale, please pm me. I need to keep him riding, after all he started me in this sport about 40 years ago.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:02 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is freaken awesome! Tell the Old man to hang in there and keep riding! At his age I think you should get him a sundowner seat. I have sat and road on a couple of those seats and they are very comfortable. As far as the bars you can get pull back handlebars from the dealer and the seat by the way. I would take him to the dealer with the bike so some measurments could be taken and they could help you set him up with what he needs. Damn, I sure hope at 70 I'm still able to ride!! Ride On Man! In my opinion I think that would be best.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:17 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

crazytrain69,

Our dealer want us to order everything. They are lucky to stock oil filters. I thought I read of a handle bar that was a little taller and a bit wider than the sportster sport bar. It was a HD bar if I recall. My Dad has ridden dirt bikes for years, so I think to get him more comfortable he needs what feel's like a dirt bike style bar.

My Dad travels with me and my friends, we are in our mid 40's, to my cabin in the Smokey's and we ride the Dragon, Blue Ridge Pky, at least twice a year. After day 2 of 3 he's whipped with shoulder / neck burn. I am convinced bars will make a difference, and two Bayer, LOL.

He's tough, I just want to make it easier on him.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Vee Rod 03
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have him sit on 09 Iron the bars sound like something he might like. I changed mine to mini apes for an old school look, but the stock bars were very comfortable.