Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reserve Tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:08 PM
ripto
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll take a closer look next time I go out by it.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:44 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

The metric bikes I've owned have the long part of the lever pointing to the gas position. I had to do a double take on my Sportster when I first bought it to make sure of the petcock position. It is opposite of the Honda's and Suzuki's I've owned. I know I've got it right because I've gone to reserver twice since I bought it. I set the trip odometer at every re-fuel and when I see about 80 miles I start looking for a station.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 PM
ripto
Road Master

Thinking about it, my lever has a pointed end and a blunt end, I usually put the pointed end facing up. I could be going crazy though.

80 miles really? Is that when you have to use reserve or just when you look to refuel?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:47 PM
deadhead111469
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never had mine cut off,just sputter before i go to reserve....I start looking for the gas pumps around 140 miles and have gone as far as 40 miles on reserve (4.5 gallon tank)

Old 03-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Alex_C
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My metric bikes have all had the long part of the lever opposite of the way it's pointing.

And yes most bikes don't just die, they'll sputter first. Some will just die though, that's always fun :-)

Old 03-18-2009, 10:39 PM
ripto
Road Master

Yeah mine bucked a little, like a surge of power, then outright shut off. So when its horizontal, CCW should be "ON"?

Old 03-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Fr3shFr0st
Advanced

my reserve will take me 20 miles or so, ive had to use it twice in the past week when i ran outta gas on the highway. I was confused at first whether i had my switch set to fuel or reserve, take a good look at it

Old 03-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Filmy
Cruiser

I was forced to fondle my petcock this past weekend as well.

After riding to a breakfast meeting, and returning to the bike afterwards, I start it up, pull out of the parking garage onto the street and... sputter/die. Good cranking, but no start. (For the record, I always turn the petcock closed when I shut down the bike, as I've been told that the gravity-fed fuel line will leak/flood the carb.) I was pretty sure I had fuel in the tank so I thought I had some kind of no-spark electrical problem. On a desperate whim, I turned the petcock to "Reserve" (pointing down) and the bike started right up and ran fine. I headed straight across the street to a station and filled no more than a gallon to top off the tank. Started it up (still in reserve-mode) and then turned the petcock to main while it was running. The bike ran just like it was supposed to from then on. I'm positive that I didn't have the arrow pointing in the wrong direction at any time.

Since I'm not sure how a stock tank/petcock/reserve works, it seemed to me that I had a clogged main petcock line. However...

I have an aftermarket stretched 4-gallon tank (didn't buy the tank - it was already on the bike). As I said, I'm not sure how the whole reserve thing works, but I doubt my aftermarket tank has a reserve sectioned off inside. But maybe it does.

Keeping the after-market tank in mind, does the petcock itself have separate screens/filters for both the main and reserve functions? I've had petcocks out and I know what the in-tank screen looks like, but from where does that reserve fuel come, and how does it get to the petcock?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ripto
yeah mine bucked a little, like a surge of power, then outright shut off. so when its horizontal, ccw should be "on"?
yes.....

Old 03-19-2009, 12:26 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ripto
Thinking about it, my lever has a pointed end and a blunt end, I usually put the pointed end facing up. I could be going crazy though.
Ah, Houston, we've found the problem. The narrow pointed end should be down, until you run otta gas. That's when ya do the little petcock flip, I mentioned. Turn it 180 degrees and then you'll be on reserve. You've been running with the petcock already set to reserve. So, when you run outta gas...it's time to PUSH.

Quick Reply: Reserve Tank