Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 FLHTCUI Idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 01:28 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SSN711
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh....gee, no...never checked....oops! Thanks! Will check tonight! Hope it is something that stupid...uh, simple....
I've never waited and there's nothing in either the '07 owner's manual or service manual that says that you should. That four seconds between switching on and the check-engine light going off allows the system to check the subsystems it's designed to monitor and sort out any fault codes, but it isn't really necessary to wait.

Last edited by iclick; 02-11-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:31 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by capt775
That's the light I was refering too also.

With the PCIII, if you don't wait for the light, the bike will start instantly. If you wait, it will turn over once or twice before the motor catches. I will say that since I have gotten into the habit of waiting for the light to go out, I haven't noticed any idle issues.

I can't remember any idle issues when the bike was stock. I did the PCIII in probably the first 1000 miles of buying it.
Is your bike an '07? If so, this delay problem was corrected soon after the '07's were introduced. Mine did this also, and like you I just cranked the bike as soon as the ignition was turned on. So you had idle issues with the PCIII attached when started quickly but not when you waited?

Old 02-11-2009, 01:34 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Regarding the PCIII, I would no longer recommend it for bikes with Delphi EFI (2002 and newer). The PCV is out and while it costs $20 more has more features, is smaller, and can be upgraded to Auto-Tune if desired. If purchased from Fuel Moto is is warranted and supported even though DynoJet is doing so only for '09 bikes.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:43 PM
gunnut1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

07 Ultra with SE air cleaner,Pythons,Fuelpak, idle always the same. Turn on the two switches and hit the button,always right at 950 rpm.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by oinker02
This light thang and with the PCIII

The PCIII will reboot itself after a few seconds(6-10) of turning the key, so it you fail to time it correctly, you will experience slow starts and lumpy idle due to reboot.
This is no longer even an issue, and occurred only on early PCIII's designed for '07 bikes. This was fixed early on and the problem doesn't exist anymore according to Jamie at Fuel Moto. It certainly doesn't exist with the PCV.

If running stock ECU, then wait till red key light goes out..... if running PCIII piggy back to stock ECU, then listen for fuel pump to pressurize, then start within 2-3 seconds of turning key.
Mine was one of those early PCIII's with the problem, and I always started immediately after turning on the ignition. No delay and never had a problem with idle or anything else.

You make a good point about re-flashing the ECM. The very early '07's, including mine, had a service bulletin for an ECM download (#0903, "Torque Smoothing") upgrade. I'm not sure if this would help. OTOH with a PCIII/PCV or other EFI controller it shouldn't matter.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:02 AM
SSN711
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bike completely stock. Bike built June 2007. Last night I made sure I waited to start the bike. Still the same 100-150+ RPM swing while idling. Adjusted the idle cable and throttle cable IAW the service manual and did the cruise control throttle lash adjustment. Got some improvement....not rock steady, but enough to not be bothered by it anymore.

However, when I take it in to get the saftey inspection (VA) Saturday at the dealership, I am going to ask about the ECM Tech Bulletin reflash. I would have assumed the previous owner would have done it (bike has 15K miles on it).

One thing I noticed about the 2007 Touring Model Service Manual is that it does not have trouble codes listed like my 2000 Softail Model Service Manual had. How are you suppose to get the codes and look them up?

Thanks to all who replied..

Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by SSN711
However, when I take it in to get the saftey inspection (VA) Saturday at the dealership, I am going to ask about the ECM Tech Bulletin reflash. I would have assumed the previous owner would have done it (bike has 15K miles on it).
I doubt if this is an issue since your build date was June 2007. The TSB was released about the time I took delivery of my bike in late Nov. 2006, and I had it done two days later.

One thing I noticed about the 2007 Touring Model Service Manual is that it does not have trouble codes listed like my 2000 Softail Model Service Manual had. How are you suppose to get the codes and look them up?
See this thread for '07 FLH codes. Here are the instructions for accessing them:

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)

P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.

9 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

Last edited by iclick; 02-12-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:37 PM
SSN711
Cruiser

Originally Posted by iclick
I doubt if this is an issue since your build date was June 2007. The TSB was released about the time I took delivery of my bike in late Nov. 2006, and I had it done two days later.

See this thread for '07 FLH codes. Here are the instructions for accessing them:

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)

P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.

9 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

Wow! Great!! Thanks for the Info!

Old 11-11-2011, 01:57 AM
randygr
6th Gear

I have a 2007 ultra classic but I haven't had any problems with the idle on it. But I do run a screaming eagle race tuner on it and have a 103 motor with se 255 cams and running with a Doherty Power Pacc with vents and D&D top cat header 2 into one with ghost pipe on left side. I always wait for the red key light to go out before starting the bike though.

Attached Thumbnails 2007 FLHTCUI Idle-195841_1735547240158_1582907016_1533637_568006_n.jpg  
Old 11-11-2011, 10:24 AM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SSN711:

IMO, first thing I'd do is clean the IAC after removing the a/c assy. Also, this has helped many Idle issues:

http://www.box.net/shared/qmjg3vrffl

If you plan on keeping the '07 UC, then seriously consider the TTS Mastertune System:

http://www.mastertune.net/

Quick Reply: 2007 FLHTCUI Idle