Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

NO Compresion in cylinders...

Old 02-08-2009, 03:07 PM
68ElectraGlide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO Compresion in cylinders...

Ok first let me introduce myself as this is my first post.

My name is Mike. I just bought my first Harley, it is a 1968 FLH.

It belonged to my brother who NEVER rode it. He bought it about 5 years ago and sent it to a bike shop who had it for two years! When he does get it home he does nothing with it, it SITS for two years! He would not sell it nor would he let any one ride it or touch it.

AGGGGGG so after five years out of the blue he says "what do you think my bike is worth?" We agreed on $7,500 and it was done!

Finally I got him to sell her after years of begging him to let me at least get her running right and send her to him, he sold her to me!!!!!

She had a complete engine rebuild when she was at the shop but there is a myriad of things suggesting they did a horrid job on her. The bike has maybe 150 miles on the motor and now neither cylinder has ANY compression.

I have adjusted the lifter rods twice and my dad (who also owns a 68 FLH and done much of his own work) checked my work. We are going to tear down the top end on her next weekend and I would just like some input from as many experienced voices as I can get.

Let me know what you guys think. I will make a thread to keep up with my rebuild. I am going to be doing the top end, putting on a kick start, new pipes (I do not like the 04 road king pipes that are on her), new wiring harness, factory style handlebars (some one put aftermarket bars on her), fix a crack in the front fairing, paint the luggage and front fairing.

I have been lurking around here for a few days now and I see a lot of people with some really cool builds and a few who seem really knowledgeable.

I have wanted a 68 FLH since I was old enough to put together a thought. Now I have her and I hope to have her going with in a couple of weeks.

The only info I can give to help diagnose the problem is that a good friend of my brothers was riding her when home on leave. They were doing around 60-65 MPH down a local hwy. there are no major hills mostly sweeping turns and long streaght aways. She just lost power so they pulled over she died and would not restart. It was that quick, and both cylinders are lost.

I am sorry I do not have more information to go on she didn't belong to me and I wasn't riding her.

Thanks for any suggestions
Mike

Old 02-08-2009, 05:16 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Stuck valves in guides ? Holes in the top of the pistons ? Are the lifters still hydraulic ? Good God ya all !

Old 02-08-2009, 06:11 PM
68ElectraGlide
Novice

My first thought was stuck valves.

But would the guide rods still go up and down if the valves were stuck?

I do not know if it has hydraulic lifters. It is still original everything (or at least replaced with OEM style)

Old 02-08-2009, 07:00 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

First off, great choice for a first bike, and welcome to the forum.
You said you have no compression. Did you run a comp test? What were the results? You could run a leak down, but at this point a comp test will do. Will the bike start at all? After sitting for years, the rings may collapse, and sometimes, just riding it with TLC will seal them back up. All depends on the quality of the parts used to rebuild the motor. So don't go and start tearing the motor down till we get you through some basic checks.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:34 PM
68ElectraGlide
Novice

Originally Posted by AlCherry
First off, great choice for a first bike, and welcome to the forum.
You said you have no compression. Did you run a comp test? What were the results? You could run a leak down, but at this point a comp test will do. Will the bike start at all? After sitting for years, the rings may collapse, and sometimes, just riding it with TLC will seal them back up. All depends on the quality of the parts used to rebuild the motor. So don't go and start tearing the motor down till we get you through some basic checks.
I am just using a basic compression gauge it is getting 0 compression.

It will not start at all.

I do not know what a leak down test is could you explain that to me?

I am sorry for my ignorance I just do not know these things. Me and my dad went to work together when I was a kid no hunting fishing or mechanic work... Just work work... I can work like a piston in an engine I just can't replace one. I do have a good mechanical knowledge I just do not know the proper terms or how to do a lot of testing.

Thanks for the help guys.

Mike

Old 02-08-2009, 09:04 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior

Wow, 0 compression. Sounds like the valves are stuck open like george said. With the motor at TDC, and the pushrods removed, you could pump air into the cylinders and see where it's coming out. If the air is coming out of the carb, the intake valves are open. If the air comes out of the exhaust, your exhaust valves are open. If the air comes out the breather, well, go ahead and pull the top end, you have holes in your pistons. If no air comes out and the motor rolls over due to the air pressure, you adjusted your pushrods wrong. Refer to your shop manual.
I've had valves stick using brass guides, only once though.
If you adjusted your pushrods on a stuck valve, if the bike fires and the valve unsticks, you will have a hellava bill on your hands. Hope this helps. Al

Last edited by AlCherry; 02-08-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:14 PM
68ElectraGlide
Novice

Wow, 0 compression. Sounds like the valves are stuck open like george said. With the motor at TDC, and the pushrods removed, you could pump air into the cylinders and see where it's coming out. If the air is coming out of the carb, the intake valves are open. If the air comes out of the exhaust, your exhaust valves are open. If the air comes out the breather, well, go ahead and pull the top end, you have holes in your pistons. If no air comes out and the motor rolls over due to the air pressure, you adjusted your pushrods wrong. Refer to your shop manual.
I've had valves stick using brass guides, only once though.
If you adjusted your pushrods on a stuck valve, if the bike fires and the valve unsticks, you will have a hellava bill on your hands. Hope this helps. Al
If you adjusted your pushrods on a stuck valve, if the bike fires and the valve unsticks, you will have a hellava bill on your hands. Hope this helps.

How do I keep this from happening?

Old 02-09-2009, 05:52 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior

Just run the top end checks.

"The only info I can give to help diagnose the problem is that a good friend of my brothers was riding her when home on leave. They were doing around 60-65 MPH down a local hwy. there are no major hills mostly sweeping turns and long streaght aways. She just lost power so they pulled over she died and would not restart. It was that quick, and both cylinders are lost."

I'd really would have to see the bike. Something weird is going on here. Just run the top end checks I described, and go from there.
Some of the other people will probably chime in today. There are some great shops in the Dallas/Ft Worth Area if this gets over your head. And don't feel bad. Sometimes we all need a little help figuring out what happened with these motors. Al

Last edited by AlCherry; 02-09-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:19 AM
68ElectraGlide
Novice

Just run the top end checks.

"The only info I can give to help diagnose the problem is that a good friend of my brothers was riding her when home on leave. They were doing around 60-65 MPH down a local hwy. there are no major hills mostly sweeping turns and long streaght aways. She just lost power so they pulled over she died and would not restart. It was that quick, and both cylinders are lost."

I'd really would have to see the bike. Something weird is going on here. Just run the top end checks I described, and go from there.
Some of the other people will probably chime in today. There are some great shops in the Dallas/Ft Worth Area if this gets over your head. And don't feel bad. Sometimes we all need a little help figuring out what happened with these motors. Al

I have a great little bike shop right around the corner from my house, I just want to do the work myself. I just really don't want to go in there and ask 'how do I fix my bike so I don't have to give you any money, and I only like free advice'

I am sure the guy would help we have been to his shop quite a bit and are on a first name basis with every one there I just feel odd about asking some one questions when they could be doing the work. If that makes sense. I will let you guys know what I find it will be raining here for the next three days so I might actually have some time during the week to tear in to her.

Thanks for all the help.

Mike

Old 02-09-2009, 02:51 PM
78fxs78
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems very odd that both cylinders don't have anything. Leave both spark plugs out and crank eng while plugging hole with your finger and it should blow it away if there is compression (disconnect coil first so you don't get zapped). If your engine hasn't been run since the rebuild make sure everything is getting oil. If the valves are sticking in the guides are you might be over adjusting them, they have to seat first to make proper adjustment. Also make sure the whole engine is getting oil pressure before starting. Remove oil cap at the tank and see if oil is coming out of the return from the line at the very top of the tank while cranking with the cap off. If who-ever rebuilt knew what they were doing everything should be set up and ready to go. Otherwise it can be many things and you'll have to start pulling it apart to find the prob.

Last edited by 78fxs78; 02-09-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NO Compresion in cylinders...