Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Fit?????

Old 12-11-2008, 04:25 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Gas Tank Fit?????

Could some one please tell me if a 2000-up fatboy gas tank would fit a 2004 Heritage Carb Bike or if a fat boy tank will fit a Heritage bike period?

Or if a 2000-up Heritage fuel injected gas tank would fit a carb Heritage?

I want to bid on a gas tank on e-bay if I can find one which I believe I can from what I have already seen but I want to know what to bid on....fit. Please don't say check with Harley or check the Harley Catalog that's to confusing in and off its self

Will gas tanks for carburetor bikes fit EFI Bikes?

Last edited by campdreamer47; 12-11-2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Change Wording>
Old 12-11-2008, 07:34 PM
rsavage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know for sure, The frames on the 2000 and 04 should be the same. They did change the softail frame in 2000, so I don't believe 99 and earlier will work on 2000 later. I think I remember seeing a thread awhile ago indicating that a tank for a carbed bike would not work for an efi bike. Try a seach on this forum.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:45 PM
rsavage
Tourer
Default Re; Gas Tank fitment

There is a thread from 12/15/07 entitled "Heritage Body Parts on a Fatboy" by BK Meyers. That thread seems to indicate that there is a problem with carb tanks vs. efi tanks. Again, don't know if that is accurate - just passing it along.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Pop Pop
Cruiser

No .

Old 12-11-2008, 11:39 PM
BK Meyers
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rsavage
There is a thread from 12/15/07 entitled "Heritage Body Parts on a Fatboy" by BK Meyers. That thread seems to indicate that there is a problem with carb tanks vs. efi tanks. Again, don't know if that is accurate - just passing it along.
Since I bought my 1997 Heritage I've been able to learn quite a number of things in regards to these bikes. The frame/suspension change occurred in the 2000 model year (perhaps dropping into the late 1999 run). This change caused a "break" in the body parts that will fit certain years.

The gas tanks you are asking about would appear to be a direct swap. 2000+ up to 2006 "should" be a direct swap. However I have recently learned that the rear fenders for the 2000's have a different pn# than the later models, and that may also be true for the gas tanks.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the tanks for a fuel injected bike can be converted for a carburetor set-up (there is an article on the FI to carb conversion in the latest issue of American Bagger). I am unaware of a conversion kit that allows a "carb" tank to be converted over to a fuel injected set-up.

I know it's not the answer you want but your best bet is to check with Harley on the interchangeability of the gas tanks in question. Good luck.

BK Meyers

Old 12-12-2008, 03:44 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer

Thanks for the info that helped and I did try a search but found nothing will try again.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member

Just reading this post.....makes me snicker, as I was asking the same questions about six months ago. I now have 3 different tanks for 2000 Heritage. Biggest problem you are going to run into is that there is no real markings on the tanks to identify the year it is.

You can put a FI tank on a carbed bike, but no way to go other way. If you go with a FI tank, it has to have the threads for the petcock. And you will have to find a fuel pump top plate and fuel gauge sender unit(PITA!).

Can I ask why you want to purchase a different tank?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:58 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Smile Reply to dustmaker

You sure can ask why I want another gas tank. I am getting a rear fender and a gas tank together for a little project. I have a buddy who like to work on bikes and do some body work paint. He is not a pro but we want to give it a try. I figure even if I have to get a pro later to do some paint work I will still be ahead if I get those parts cheap enough of ebay.

I already have a front fender....got it the hard way...had an accident.

I would also like to know what other parts are interchangeable actually i.e. fenders? I am also glad you said this is not always easy to find out what part fits what. That's what I though this site was all about bikers helping bikers but I find answers here can be like pulling hens teeth some times.

If I was a pro I would not have to ask these questions but I am not so I look to others on here that may know.

Thank you so much for your help dust maker and if you have more info please past it on I am here.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member

Originally Posted by campdreamer47
If I was a pro I would not have to ask these questions but I am not so I look to others on here that may know.
I do understand your frustration. I have done work on all kinds of dirt bikes, cars, trucks.......but there was always a complete body change....as Camero's....'67 - '69 parts were similar, '70 - '73 similar, '74 - '77....and so on. With these you could go to a junk yard and the guy working there could walk out and take the fender off of one Camero and see if it would line up or even bolt up to the next car.....But here with Harleys, there is no one out there that has a "junk yard" to be able to try parts from one bike to another. And with the parts as high as they are, You and I can not afford to keep buying unidentifiable parts to see if they do "fit".

As I stated in my last post here, there are no permanent markings on the fuel tanks to be able to say what year they were made for. Some will have a sticker that says what color that are, and what year they were painted. Not always available though??? This is one of the reasons you can buy the tins cheap on eBay, as alot of the sellers do not KNOW what they came off of for sure.

I have bought brand new fenders and fuel tank that were for an '04 fuel injected Heritage, and they do fit my '00 carbureted Heritage. I had to buy fuel tank top plate to cover the hole in the tank and to be able to bolt the console on. Lots more work than what most would think!

Good luck on your adventure! Keep in touch and let us all know what you have learned as you go.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:01 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

Year's should fit but carb tank wont fit a EFI tank!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Tank Fit?????