Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reset the security system

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Reset the security system

OK, I put this on the "Other problems" tech board here but got only 1 response.

I took off for a ride and forgot the key fob. The bike started in the garage because I had the fob there on the workbench. So after trying to start the bike where I was, I realized I did not have the fob. I tried to enter the code with the turn signals and as I was entering the code, I entered a wrong number. Then I could not go back to enter the correct number so I had to call the wife and have her come out with the fob. I got home, but the speedo is stuck in the code mode with the incorrect number still on the odometer screen. How can I clear that screen again?

I've tried;
Turning the ignition switch on/off several time
Hitting the turn signals when turning the ignition on

The only suggestion I did get was unhooking the battery or remove the main fuse. The service manual has nothing on the security system so that was no help either.

Anyone got a solution??

Thanks

Old 11-19-2008, 02:01 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

under the heading of 'potentially stupid things to do' i went out to the garage to try and replicate your issue. well, in my case it turned out to be a non-issue. when i entered the incorrect code (i did the wrong digit first), after i entered the whole code, the alarm went off. into the house to get the fob. whew, that thing is loud!

so next i tried to enter the wrong code again, but this time after i hit the right turn signal button to enter, instead of entering all digits, i just paused for a few secs. the procedure timed out and went to armed mode.

then i tried one more time, but instead of just waiting, after i entered the wrong code, and hit the right turn signal button, i just switched the ignition off. that reset it to armed mode.

so i don't know what to tell you, i cannot replicate your issue. my bike is an 07, what year is yours?

Old 11-19-2008, 02:02 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this: Turn the key to ignition and immediately hold both switches in until your code appears. Do not change your code. The first number should be flashing. Press the right turn switch once for each number until you get to the last number flashing. Remember don't change the code. When you get to the last number turn the ignition switch off. Don't know if it will work but it might.
Oh yeah make sure the FOB is with you when you do this.
Spike, if the wrong code is there when you enter this mode, correct the number to your original code as you go.

Last edited by RoadKing_Al; 11-19-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

It's a 2007

As for trying turning the ignition on with the turn signals depressed, I have done that and the incoeerct code is still on the screen and the center number(also the incorrect number ) is flashing and I can not move the number or move to the 4th number slot either. It seems to be stuck there.

But thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm going to try the main fuse thing this afternoon

Old 11-19-2008, 02:35 PM
rc9636
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried calling your dealer and asking them?????

Old 11-19-2008, 02:42 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain

Spike found this on forum:

Found that i don't know if its good

To verify your PIN code, proceed as follows with the FOB present..
Turn ignition on-off-on-off-on.Then hit the left blinker button twice-then the right button once *. You should get the current pin number displayed in the odometer window.
Don't waste any time doing this or it will not work.

*With a button fob system you must hit the button on fob twice instead of hitting right signal to enter new code. Same to find existing PIN. Button fob twice instead of right signal.

Let's assume for simplicity that your code is set at 31313 and you wish to use the manual disarm of the security system using the directional switches as if you lost your fob and cannot disarm the system.

Your security system will disarm the bike and it cannot be started without deactivating the system first.

This applies to systems using the button type security fob only. See further down the page for later button less models.

If you are unsure of what the manual code is refer to the top of this page or check with your dealer and set one if it has not been set by them. Failure to set a manual code may require a replacement of the TSSM should a problem arise and they come at a healthy price.

Again this is based on your code being 31313 just to make it easier to understand.

1. Turn the ignition to Accessory.

2. Press both turn signals. (security light should flash rapidly)

3. Press left turn signal button 3 times. Press right turn signal button 1 time.

4. Press left turn signal button 1 time. Press right turn signal button 1 time.

5. Press left turn signal button 3 times. Press right turn signal button 1 time.

6. Press left turn signal button 1 time. Press right turn signal button 1 time.

7. Press left turn signal button 3 times. Press right turn signal button 1 time.

Security light stops flashing and security system is disarmed.

If you've changed the number, use your new number instead of 31313.

Button less fobs (Smart FOB)

To view/change the PIN number follow this procedure, but read and understand it first, then see the note at the bottom.

1. Select 5 digit code (1 thru 9) and record it on the wallet card in the owners manual.

2. With an assigned FOB present, turn IGN key ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON

3. Press Left turn signal switch 2 times.

4. Press Right turn signal switch one time and release.
*Turn signals will flash 3 times. Current PIN will appear in the odometer. The first digit will be flashing.

5. Enter first digit (a) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (a) times.

6. Press right turn signal 1 time and release.
*The new digit (a) will replace the current in the odometer window.

7. Enter second digit (b) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch (b) times.

8. Press right turn signal 1 time and release.
*The new digit will replace the current in odometer window.

9. Enter the third digit (c) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (c) times.

10. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.
*The new digit (c) will replace the current in the odometer window.

11. Enter forth digit (d) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch (d) times.

12. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.

13. Enter the fifth digit (e) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (e) times.
*The new digit (e) will replace the current in the odometer window.

14. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.

15. Before the module rearms, turn ignition key to OFF.
* The odometer will return to mileage display.
**Turning the ignition to OFF stores the new pin in the module.

NOTE
The key to doing this proceedure is to turn the ignition switch on/off/on/off/on and use the left directional 3 times then the right just once and do it all in TWO SECONDS or it will not work.
Also on new installations, the dealer has to program the fob using the bar code for it to work.
Publisher Details
Ride: 07 Road King Classic

The following users liked this post:
Poppa Derf (01-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

Thanks for that RK Al, but that didn;t work either. It was stuck. So I removed the speedo/tach bezel and unplugged the gauges, cycled the ignition switch once and plugged them back in. That worked, I'm back on miles on the odometer again!

Thanks for all the help guys

Old 11-19-2008, 09:23 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

funky! glad you got it taken care of. too bad you had to do it such a roundabout way. you should have tried it again before you got it all put back together to see if it would work correctly the next time.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

I did try, it wouldn't come off where it was stuck no matter what I tried. I'd turn the ignition on and there was the code on the ododmeter. No trick would clear it, make it change, let me move the numbers, nothing. It was just hung up on that spot

Old 11-20-2008, 08:55 AM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain

Wow, that's really wierd. I guess we all learned something from this. I'll remember this one.

The following users liked this post:
Poppa Derf (01-20-2017)

Quick Reply: Reset the security system