Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to change front &rear brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:42 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: how to change front &rear brake pads

So, do our rotors ever need to be machined? I machine every set of rotors I do a brake job on car side. Dont know if bikes were the same as cars!

Old 02-02-2008, 12:50 PM
jokr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no you dont have to machine them when the wear you just replace them .i just put new floating rotors on and are changing my stock pads to the lyndall z pads.everyone saysthey do not wear out your rotors and they throw off minimal brake dust. this will be a big help in keepingmy white wall tires clean.IM HOPPING THEY ARE RIGHT.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:32 PM
ajaugust
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: jokr

no you dont have to machine them when the wear you just replace them .i just put new floating rotors on and are changing my stock pads to the lyndall z pads.everyone saysthey do not wear out your rotors and they throw off minimal brake dust. this will be a big help in keepingmy white wall tires clean.IM HOPPING THEY ARE RIGHT.
Hey jokr,
What brand floating rotor did you get and where did you get it. Thanks for your help...

Old 02-02-2008, 05:50 PM
jokr
Road Captain

agaugust
i had my bike at harley geting a chrome front end the stock rotor did not look good so i had new front &rear floating rotors put on also a new chrome pulley all harley davidson parts

Old 02-02-2008, 07:10 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

All are right. Your WW will still get dirty. You can coat your WW with a product called ZOOP. It is for sealing aluminum and was not made for WW. We tried it, it worked well. Aluminum stays polished for more than 2 years. We did one side and left the other side of the WW. The WW stayed clean on that side. I do not sell ZOOP & have no stock in the company. Do what you wish.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:09 PM
jokr
Road Captain

DO YOU KNOW IF IT WILL DIS COLOR THE WHITE THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT FAST CHARLIE

Old 02-02-2008, 08:20 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

DO YOU KNOW IF IT WILL DIS COLOR THE WHITE THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT FAST CHARLIE
For Sure no it will not. Wore out the tire and none. The WW had a slight shine like a hint of a coating. I think it coats the rubber and prohibutesd the dirt from entering. No noticabler change. Here is a photo of the bike. If you ride them alot the tread wears off though (my wise *** comment for the month) This stuff works great on what it was intended for also.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/92A9696879CB42508998916891DF29C1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-02-2008, 08:38 PM
conroskie
Road Master

what on earth are those strange looking things behind your bike???[sm=chattypair.gif]

Old 02-02-2008, 08:49 PM
conroskie
Road Master

I just changed my rears tonight and it was a snap. just had to go to the store and buy a 1/4" wrench that had a thinner wall since mine was too thick to slide all the way on the pin. Just take your time and have fun... The instructions that came with the set were the same as the ones in my manual. First brake job on my first harley, no problem... I didn't use locktite since I didn't want to take a chance of stripping the heads on the little quarter inch twelve sided bolt. I simply tourqed it as hard as that little tiny wrench could tighten it. Figured the brake dust will lock her up. Plus I will keep a watchfull eye on it as I am a worry wart by nature...

Old 02-02-2008, 09:25 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: conroskie

what on earth are those strange looking things behind your bike???[sm=chattypair.gif]
Not my Bike. A friend who has no use for his cars. You would never see him in a cage if he could get his bucket (as in Bucket Truck) onto another trailer. He is an electrician. He leaves in the rain & only missed one day of riding last year as the pu$$y was worried that he might get hit with a prom from or 2X4 during a hurricane.

Quick Reply: how to change front &rear brake pads