Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

narrow band 02 sensor (NB02) mod.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:57 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: narrow band 02 sensor (NB02) mod.

I removed the 02 sensors and replaced them with the 330 ohm resistors and run it open loop on stock ecm. Runs rich but runs very cool. You can even touch the engine after a run. The gas milege has improved. I later added Arlin Ness air filter to lean it up a bit. I am adding slipons next week.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:10 AM
ToBeFrank
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: tk353

I removed the 02 sensors and replaced them with the 330 ohm resistors and run it open loop on stock ecm. Runs rich but runs very cool. You can even touch the engine after a run. The gas milege has improved. I later added Arlin Ness air filter to lean it up a bit. I am adding slipons next week.
You made it run so rich thatyou can touch the engine after a ride yet your gas mileage improved? What am I missing here?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:35 AM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

V&H hasnt returned my emails about popping /farting with their settings.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:52 PM
GMul
Advanced

ORIGINAL: hddave2

i just a the www.nightrider web sight and was reading about a do it yourself " how to richen a NB02 sensor" im guessing this mod. will get the bike to run a little richer making it run cooler ... it says that you can buy what is needed at a local radio shack.. has anyone tryed this mod?
Patrick Sills reported some preliminary results on this mod. Go the The Heritage Softail Classic Forum
http://forums.delphiforums.com/Ride2Live and search on message 2311.1

Gary

Old 11-07-2007, 10:05 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the direct link? http://forums.delphiforums.com/Ride2...es/?msg=2311.1

The only downside to that scheme is that the adaptive fuel routines in our Delphis will see it as an error that needs correcting ("oops, my calculations based on VE are incorrect; let me add some extra fuel and change my AFV accordingly so that when I go open-loop I'll not be too lean there"). What this means is that for an open-loop area where, say, the target AFR is 13.5:1, with this modification, the fuel sent will be 13:1. If it's 12.8:1 it will be sent at a rate of 12.4:1. Maybe that's okay, I don't know...

Also, the sensors "breathe" through the wires (to get the reference oxygen content) and you want to be careful you don't mess that up (note he says it's a funny kind of wire that won't take solder). The best method would be to obtain an extra set of connectors and wiring the voltage divider into a "plug-in" segment.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:51 PM
GMul
Advanced

ORIGINAL: glens

How about the direct link? http://forums.delphiforums.com/Ride2...es/?msg=2311.1

The only downside to that scheme is that the adaptive fuel routines in our Delphis will see it as an error that needs correcting ("oops, my calculations based on VE are incorrect; let me add some extra fuel and change my AFV accordingly so that when I go open-loop I'll not be too lean there"). What this means is that for an open-loop area where, say, the target AFR is 13.5:1, with this modification, the fuel sent will be 13:1. If it's 12.8:1 it will be sent at a rate of 12.4:1. Maybe that's okay, I don't know...

Also, the sensors "breathe" through the wires (to get the reference oxygen content) and you want to be careful you don't mess that up (note he says it's a funny kind of wire that won't take solder). The best method would be to obtain an extra set of connectors and wiring the voltage divider into a "plug-in" segment.
Thanks for the information Glens. I'm curious about this mod and there is lots to be learned.

Interesting you should mention a "plug-in". I just stumbled on this while reviewing Patrick's thread:
http://www.nightrider.com/parts/catalog00.htm
It's officially called an O2 Sensor Enrichment device

Regards, Gary

Old 11-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: GMul

ORIGINAL: glens

Thanks for the information Glens. I'm curious about this mod and there is lots to be learned.

Interesting you should mention a "plug-in". I just stumbled on this while reviewing Patrick's thread:
http://www.nightrider.com/parts/catalog00.htm
It's officially called an O2 Sensor Enrichment device

Regards, Gary

The pre-made jumpers look interesting. For someone who doesn't care about tweaking and just wants to richen the mix a little to cool the engine down a bit, it might be the ticket. Kinda pricey though, especially when compared to the cost of making the jumpers yourself...

Old 11-08-2007, 08:11 PM
GMul
Advanced

[/quote]
The pre-made jumpers look interesting. For someone who doesn't care about tweaking and just wants to richen the mix a little to cool the engine down a bit, it might be the ticket. Kinda pricey though, especially when compared to the cost of making the jumpers yourself...

[/quote]

I view the advantage of the pre-made jumpers in terms of warranty work. If you had to take your bike in for engine or ECM problems, you could return it to stock easily.

Regards, Gary

Old 11-09-2007, 03:21 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Lost1

Kinda pricey though, especially when compared to the cost of making the jumpers yourself...
Yeah, but try to find the connectors for cheap a few at a time (and I'm not talking about taking a pair if side-cuts with you to the watering hole).

Old 11-10-2007, 09:31 PM
babineaux66@msn.com
Cruiser

I sent them a e-mail on how to get a set THAT ARE PLUG AND PLAY.A dropof half a point on the stock 14.7 to 1sounds ok to me.I will be getting V&H pro pipes,SE air cleaner,KN air filter and a dyno tune with a SERT REV G IN just few weeks. i am requesting the O2 bias set to 750 for the 14.2 to 1 AFR.Will find out what happenes when i add the NBO2 mod and drop it another half point.

Quick Reply: narrow band 02 sensor (NB02) mod.