Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling speed control volume on Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
wbusch
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling speed control volume on Radio?

I have a 1989 FLHTC. I got the radio to work but the volume control adjustment that increases volume as you go faster does not work correctly. How do I disable it?

Wb

Old 06-12-2007, 10:38 PM
bdjhog
Road Captain
Default RE: Disabling speed control volume on Radio?

I'm not sure what radio you installed on your bike. However on the HK radio on my Street Glide if you push "in" the volume control it brings up the sounds adjustments like bass, treble, etc. Keep pushing the button in until you get to something like SVT or SVC. I'm not exactly sure what it's called but it's the last option before it cycles back to bass. Once you get to this SVT option just push the same button "down" till it says off. That's pretty much it.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:45 PM
irish_pirate
3rd Gear

Have you checked the white/green (if memory serves) wire connected to the speedo cluster?

Old 06-12-2007, 10:47 PM
atexn4christ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bdjhog

I'm not sure what radio you installed on your bike. However on the HK radio on my Street Glide if you push "in" the volume control it brings up the sounds adjustments like bass, treble, etc. Keep pushing the button in until you get to something like SVT or SVC. I'm not exactly sure what it's called but it's the last option before it cycles back to bass. Once you get to this SVT option just push the same button "down" till it says off. That's pretty much it.
Its AVC like he said. I turn it off and on all the time. I don't ever like its setting for long. Play with some maybe you can set where you will like it.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:13 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 202 Posts

I set mine up about half way and really enjoy it.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If you have a Service Manual check the wiring diagrams in the back for the audio one. It will show a plug going into the radio. It will probably show a wire color, white with green stripe. If you remove this wire (the speed signal wire) you will disable the speed adjustment feature of the radio. The appendix of the service manual should also contain information on the various connectors (such as the radio plug) to tell you how to remove the white/green wire from the plug.

Alternatively, simply cut the white/green wire going into the audio plug at the back of the radio; you can always splice it back together later if you want to try to get the automatic volume control functioning again.

BUT VERIFY ALL OF THE FOREGOING REGARDING THE WHITE/GREEN WIRE BEING THE SPEED SIGNAL WIRE USING YOUR HD SERVICE MANUAL FOR YOUR BIKE. I have an '04 EG and that's what it is on my bike and my buddy's '06 EG. It is probably the same on your bike, but double check to be sure.